1.    #1  
    Perhaps someone here can answer this for me.

If you check out the Treo 300 page on my site, you will see that I list two current updates for the Treo 300. The first is the 1.0.1 update from Handspring.com but the other is buried in a dark corner of Sprint's servers; a 1.2.1 update.

I have no idea what this update is, if it was rolled into 1.0.1 or not, or what it does. I don't have a Treo 300 (600's on the way), but it's been bugging me, so I was wondering if anyone could help.

TIA!
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Be careful doing the updates. I two phones and both became unusable. We could not routinely connect to numbers we were calling and Verichat and similar programs stalled or just stopped working. Both phones were subsequently replaced. Best thing - don't worry about it. For most purposes, the updates are not needed.

Ben

Originally posted by hatoncat
    Perhaps someone here can answer this for me.

If you check out the Treo 300 page on my site, you will see that I list two current updates for the Treo 300. The first is the 1.0.1 update from Handspring.com but the other is buried in a dark corner of Sprint's servers; a 1.2.1 update.

I have no idea what this update is, if it was rolled into 1.0.1 or not, or what it does. I don't have a Treo 300 (600's on the way), but it's been bugging me, so I was wondering if anyone could help.

TIA!
  3.    #3  
    The updates were made for a reason; to fix or enhance something. Telling folks to ignore them is not the answer I was hopeing for...

If they are unstable, so be it, I'll probably note it on my site, but I still want to know why the 1.2.1 update (which appears to have been released before the 1.0.1 update) was made, and why it isn't listed on handspring.com...
    ChristopherPrice.net
    For my phone I downloaded both files from the Handspring site. My wife's phone - only installed the first. After upgrading mine, its reliability became next to horrible. And the reasons were given on the site. I live in Honolulu, Hi - a rather large city here and the problems listed in the file were not factors we were suffering. So why did I update the devices? 'Cause they were on the Handspring site and 'cause there was nothing in the description stating negative reasons not to.

So, go ahead and update and best luck to you.

Ben
    -----------

-----

Originally posted by hatoncat
    The updates were made for a reason; to fix or enhance something. Telling folks to ignore them is not the answer I was hopeing for...

If they are unstable, so be it, I'll probably note it on my site, but I still want to know why the 1.2.1 update (which appears to have been released before the 1.0.1 update) was made, and why it isn't listed on handspring.com...
  5.    #5  
    Like I said, I don't have a Treo 300, never did. But it's a really odd thing that I was hopeing to clear up for my site's readers.

The 1.21 update appears to have been pulled from Handspring, so it looks like that is why there were problems. I guess Sprint just didn't get that message, and continues to offer it.

Thanks for your help.
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I loaded both updates as they became available. Although it wasn't too long ago, I can't even remember what they were supposed to fix.

The 1.0.1 update seemed to speed up the Vision connection, but KILLED your battery. It was difficult to load (Took me 5 tries over an hour) and I saw no real improvement in my device. The data speeds were improved, but the battery envieonment went from bad to worse.

I loaded the 1.2.1 update which seemed to help the battery situation somewhat, but did not return it to its original state.

I'm not sure what they were gunning for with these patches, but they didn't acheive their goal. Here's what went wrong in my opinion:

Sprint, and I'm guessing here, outsourced the development of the Vision product. Being involved in systems development for many years, this service was definately a turn-key solution. I received my Treo 300 the first week it was available and for the first 3 months it worked flawlessly. Then the Sprint "engineers" started "tweaking" the system and the whole thing went to hell in a single weekend. Service disconnects, parts of my service working then not working, I had them all.

So now, after Sprint has screwed up a perfectly good system, they go back to Handspring and as them to fix the Treo 300 to work with the system as it exists after they dorked it up. Handspring tries their best, but no one can attain the impossible.

I would tell everyone who has a 300 to upgrade to the 600. The 300 was a "first effort" and has some serious pitfalls. Now that there exists a device that really works on Sprint's system, there will be no updates for the 300 (I suspect). If you can't get the 600, don't update the firmware in your 300. If you must, you need only load the 1.2.1 update.
  7.    #7  
    So only load the update that Handspring pulled?!

Wow, that's great product support...
    ChristopherPrice.net