1.    #1  
    Like everyone else, I was forced to update my Business Connect software and Treo client.

I like to only sync my Treo client manually, disabling pushing messages to the Treo, and timed downloads.

Every thing was working fine until the forced update.

Now after the update, on an irregular basis, my Treo comes on and attempts to sync, sometimes succeeding, sometimes not.

I have everything I can think of disabled. The Treo client has Push and scheduled sync disabled in the Sync preferences. I have all BC alerts disabled on my Sprint BC web access settings page. There is nothing in the Windows software to set for this function.

And yet, my Treo insists on turning on at odd intervals, wasting power, and irritating the heck out of me.

Why did they break this in this update?

PG
    I'm just peeved that my t300 screen now turns on all the time for no reason..and sometimes, i can't turn it off!
    TreoHappy wrote:
    Now after the update, on an irregular basis, my Treo comes on and attempts to sync, sometimes succeeding, sometimes not.
    What does it do when it fails? Does it try synching forever, or does it quit quietly?....
  4.    #4  
    It just quits quietly.

I'm trying to figure out what the pattern is when it starts. It isn't time, as the intervals between attempts varies greatly.

I figured it must be every time a message drops in my mail, thus the thought that it's like push is stuck on. But this doesn't seem to be the case either.

Still stumped!
    I know you said scheduled sync is uncheked. Leave it uncheked and underneath select the custom sync schedule with weekdays set to never & weekends set to never. I assume smart power sync is currently selected? I don't pretend to know anything here, but l'm thinking maybe it's doing the smart power sync even though you have the scheduled sync checkbox disabled.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by Cory J
    I know you said scheduled sync is uncheked. Leave it uncheked and underneath select the custom sync schedule with weekdays set to never & weekends set to never. I assume smart power sync is currently selected? I don't pretend to know anything here, but l'm thinking maybe it's doing the smart power sync even though you have the scheduled sync checkbox disabled.
    I thought of that already too.

Funny, without doing anything today, it seems to have stopped doing the random sync, sometime last night. I have not noticed it doing it this morning.

Maybe it was just confused, and the overnight shut down of the radio cleared it up. I just did a manual sync, and that worked, so I'll watch for the random auto sync from here and see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion though,

PG
  7.    #7  
    Well, I can't tell you why, but my Treo & BC are behaving properly today. I have no idea why it went bonkers yesterday after the BC update, but today it's fine.

Actually, it's better than fine. The BC update added the ability to have up to 2 Pop mail accounts, in addition to the corporate email account. Now I have both my office and personal email being syncronized with my Treo.

That's great!

PG
    I seem to notice L-O-N-G delays from the point that I change my sync preferences to the point that they actually take place in the BC system. For me, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 12 hours before I get notified of new mail or my sync preferences stopped. I think the BC system received the instructions to "push" mail to my Treo and cued them up but they took a long time to come through. I was also experimenting with the "notification" function to send SMS messages to your Treo or other device (like a pager). I turned it off about 3pm on Friday afternoon. I am still getting notifications coming through as of this morning (Saturday) for email I received yesterday.

It works, just not fast.
    By the way, my biggest peeve is the occassional "hanging" of the unit during a sync after I have timed out of the data system. BC will start to try and sync, but just gets hung up. It does not try to "re-connect". So the 300 sits in a sync mode and I can't get out of it. I have to do a soft-reset to clear it.

I dumped and reload my BC three times thinking I had a problem. One of those times was from a hard reset to clear out any programs that might be interferring with it. I realized that it was just this new version. As with any major upgrade, there are bound to be some initial problems.
    RBMTS2000 - I find the best policy is to perform a manual sync after chaning any of the sync pref settings so if there are any items the server needs to know about then the sync will pass that information back to the server. Maybe this could explain the problem you described if you did not do a manual sync.

As for the hanging sync dialog I have seen that happen on occassion as well and the solution unfortunately is to soft reset.
    I did a manual sync many times, believe me. It had to be a delay in the system that cues events. The system was still trying to "push" messages to my 300 many hours after I had already shut down my PC for the weekend. And, as mentioned, the system was still sending me SMS notifications 12 hours after I turned that feature off. I'm not saying it won't work, it just won't stop what is cued up into their system.
    Thanks for the info RBMTS2000. One question I have though is how did you gauge whether the system was still sending you SMS notifications? Was it by virtue the device was continuously trying to sync while in the Business Connection app on your Treo 300? It seems there are reports of push tardiness still happening to the user base that reports the problems here.
    The sync and the notifications are actually two different things. On the BC webpage, you can select to be notified on new messages via SMS. This feature simply (without a sync) sends you an SMS message that you received an email, the subject line of the email, and who it was from. When I was experiencing delays having BC "push" messages to my 300, I thought I would try the notification to at least be alerted to if I wanted to perform a "manual" sync to save battery life. The SMS notifications were worse! They typically came hours after the original message was received, with the worst time being about 12 hours. I turned the feature off because it did me no good. Neat idea though. You can have the message sent to any device (like a pager). If it were real-time, it certainly would help on wasting battery life trying to do a sync for a message that is not important.

My 300 has been silent now since about 10am Saturday (since the last sync). It has stopped doing any "push" syncs that were in cue. My desktop at the office was turned off at 6:30pm Friday. We'll see what's it like on Monday when it gets turned back on.