1.    #1  
    When you plug in the headphone jack on your Treo 600 (stereo adapter) does the sound automatically stop coming out of the speaker on the back of the Treo and start coming out of the Headphones or is there some hidden setting that I need to make?

When I plug in the adapter from Handspring, no sound comes out of the headphones and the sound continues to play from the speaker.

I saw a post about trimming the plastic back, but this doesn't seem to be a problem on the Handspring adapter - it seems to seat fully in the slot, and the limiting factor is the metal flange at the base of the plug.
    What is the make and model of your headphones? I have the HS 90-degree adapter and Sony Earbud headphones. As soon as I plugged them in the sound went to my headphones. I am also using P-Tunes.

Dave Lindberg
    When you plug in the adapter only, or when you plug in the adapter and headphones?

I think if you plug in headphones (using the adapter), that's when the sound switches over.
    It appears that for powered headphones there is an issue. I have a set of powered Bose headsets that only work with the noise cancelling set at "low".

I use the $3.99 jack from Radio Shack and trimmed the plastic so it fits snuggly. When the 600 notices a headset, the speaker turns itself off automatically.
    So there is no way to play PTunes into my ear without an adapter? The earbud (crappy, I know, but adapter hasn't come yet) is giving me squat. I thought, too, that there must be a setting but after reading this, I'm thinking maybe not?

Using 600, earbud that came with it or Jabra (which works on the phone audio) - same thing - music out speaker - nothing out earphone.

No setting fix? Just hardware?
    susan dennis
    seattle, WA
    http://susandennis.com
    I think it is a pure harware thing. The 600 seems smart enough to know if an ear bud is plugged in or a headset.
    There is a Handspring headphone set coming "soon" that will give stereo for mp3s without an adapter. I doubt it's audiophile quality, though, probably on par with or a little better than a $10 set of earbuds from Radio Shack. There are also supposedly short flexible cables available as accessories on other devices that work on the Treo 600, although I haven't confirmed that and don't know details. Saw someone here talking about it.
    And the earbud isn't an option for Ptunes? I mean I know it's not great or even good but I really thought it work even badly...

wow and Thanks!
    susan dennis
    seattle, WA
    And, of course, you guys were right. $3.99 connector from Radio Shack, trimmed down, works perfectly. Tunes coming right through my headphones of choice.
    susan dennis
    seattle, WA
    I trimmed my radio shack adapter down, and it works fine for my headphones, but I still can't get it to work in any external speakers or with the cassette adapter in my truck. It seems to work a little when I plug the cassette adapter halfway into the adapter, but when I plug it in all the way, I get absolutely nothing. This really is my only gripe with the Treo. Couldn't they just make a simple connector or whatever that would play in headsets AND cassette adapters? Does anyone that has the Handsring adapter know if it plays in both headphones AND external speakers? Just ranting now.
    Peace
    Charles
    The mono headset is not meant to playback the media audio on a Treo 600. However, if you press and hold the control button, you get audio in the mono headset. It presumably cannot see the mic electrically when the button is depressed.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by COBoarder
    It appears that for powered headphones there is an issue. I have a set of powered Bose headsets that only work with the noise cancelling set at "low".

I use the $3.99 jack from Radio Shack and trimmed the plastic so it fits snuggly. When the 600 notices a headset, the speaker turns itself off automatically.
    YOU PEOPLE ROCK!!!! It didn't occur to me that the problem might be that my headphones are powered - I started this thread when I was ready to go argue with the Sprint store, and some kind sole posts the EXACT answer I needed! I was using BOSE powered headphones.

Thanks again all for helping out!
    I have found that the Radio Shack cassette adapter does work. I have a Sony and JVC cassette adapter that will not work. I can not figure out why. The plugs are the same and everything else is the same. I can get them to work if a attach a splitter to my Treo adaopter. Attach the cassette adapter to one side and some earphones to the other side. It comes out my car speakers in stero just fine with this sloppy work around.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Does this mean that the Treo won't work with Bose pwered headphones?
    Bose QuietConfort noise cancelling headphones have to be set at low or off to work. The high setting does not work.