Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I find myself having to press the center 5-way button with my fingernail, because my thumb tends to hit adjacent buttons on the 5-way instead. Anyone else have this problem? I wish the center button were higher or something. I'm thinking about what might work as some sort of prosthetic extension...for the button.
    Nice People Suck Less.
    Yep, I've experienced that. Not too bad though. I do wish that center button was "a millimeter" taller. (Maybe not a millimeter exactly, but "just a little".)

I've found no work-around.
    Yep, same issue here. If my angle of attack is wrong I end up hitting down (usually). What might work would be a small drop of hot glue or epoxy on the center button, but I'm not that brave with this thing yet.

-former
    -former
    kinda disappointed in the keyboard in general, but I also have to do the thumbnail trick.

I'm sure I'll get used to it though. my 180g looks so sad now.
    I have no beef w/ the keyboard. I make less mistakes w the T600's then the with the t300. But, I do find the problem with the center button onthe 5 way. I don't now if it's my thumb size or the de-bouce cercuit, but I find I have to use my nail too, or else I get no results or twice.
    Wow, can anyone reliably click that thing without using their nail? I have pretty thin fingers for a guy and I can't do it. I have no complaints about the keyboard but that center button bugs me. I wouldn't mind the nail press if it had a little indentation in the center of the button for it.
    I had some problem with the center button push at first as well, but with practive it becomes easier. I find that I am using the ball of my thumb (rather than the tip of my thumb) to push the center key and it works better, more control, and less likely to accidentally trigger one of the other four directions.
    I'm totally loving the 600 but I've got the same thumb problem. I also found a very acceptable workaround. Yet I would still love that milimeter center extender.

The shape of my thumb is such that I can not possibly - ever - hit the center button without first hitting one of the arrows. I also found the thumb nail extremely difficult because it tends to slide off. I can do it somewhat reliably with my nail but it requires a lot of force to keep the nail from sliding.

My workaround was to cut and place a small rectangle of silver duct tape on the center button. Now a slight touch with the thumb nail is all thats needed, and I'm doing it without any thought. It needs to be replaced peridoically and is just visible enough to slightly diminish the look. but its all I have for now.

Pete
    I had the same problem at first, then I found myself using the corner of the front of my thumb to hit the button and it works perfectly.
    Use my nail also.
    I'm having the same problem. My last phone was a Samsung N400, and it had a "Joystick" in that spot which I really liked. You could move it in whatever direction, and press it straight down into the phone for "Enter". I never had problems with that. Loving the 600, though!
    I also have trouble with the center button. I'm wondering if my Treo is defective, because I get absolutely no TACTILE feedback from the center button. Every other button on the Treo has a satisfying "click" feeling to it to let you know you've actually pressed it, but the center button has NOTHING-- I can hardly tell if I've pressed it or not (especially with system sound off, which I prefer). Is this true for all Treo 600's, or is mine defective? Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Originally posted by bluetreo
    I also have trouble with the center button. I'm wondering if my Treo is defective, because I get absolutely no TACTILE feedback from the center button. Every other button on the Treo has a satisfying "click" feeling to it to let you know you've actually pressed it, but the center button has NOTHING-- I can hardly tell if I've pressed it or not (especially with system sound off, which I prefer). Is this true for all Treo 600's, or is mine defective? Thanks in advance for your responses.
    All 5 I have tried out give tactile feedback. The centre click is a bit more subtle than the others though.

I would advise trying another unit and comparing to see if yours has a defect.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    If I hold the 600 with my thumb from the direct bottom of the device, i have problems, if my thumb comes from the side of the device, forcing me to use the side of my thumb I have no issues.

I visualize, just hold with both hands like you're typing, then slide your hand up an inch keeping your thumb perpendicular to the device.

Hope this helps.
    I use the end of the side of my thumb, which I tend to do on the keyboards as well.

What I find at the moment is that because:

a) there are still a lot of applications which do not properly support the d-pad,
    b) there are things that even with a d-pad compliant application you still nee the stylus for, and
    c) I am still getting used to the keyboard

I use every input mechanism at the same time. I automatically get the stylus out - 4 years of Visor ownership - but 'park' it between my index and middle fingers. I then generally tap the screen with my finger for occasional UI input, use the keyboard for text input and the stylus for lots of UI input. The d-pad gets used when I remember it, which is usually after I've done things one of the other ways. I do have newpen installed, but I do not find that I miss Graffiti input at all.

BTW, I wish there was the equivalent of the Applications button on the screen somewhere. I find the Menu and Applications buttons difficult to press when using it one handed. Menus I can bring up in others ways, but not Launcher.

Don't get me wrong, though - I like the fact that there are many different input mechanisms, as I can use whichever is most convenient at the time.
    The first day I got it (one week ago exactly now) I was having a bit of trouble with the centre of the D, but noticing this thread I just realised that now I've completely adapted and have no trouble at all.

Bottom line, it just takes a bit of getting used to.
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    Took alittle getting use it. My 5-way buttonis rather sensative but it generally works well. I've gotton Bus. Connection to get all my yahoo mail. SInce I've had the 600....I've not had to go to a computer as much.

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    I dunno what y'all are yammering about...I'm not having any problems hitting the center button with my thumb. The key is to use the tip of your thumb - anywhere along the curve of skin just below your fingernail.

I agree about the menu button being hard to reach...it would be nice if I could set the down button on the 5-way keypad to pull down the menus, but it's not listed under the display prefs window - is it possible to do that another way?

-David
    http://www.davegk.com
    Originally posted by Pete_L_P
    \My workaround was to cut and place a small rectangle of silver duct tape on the center button. Now a slight touch with the thumb nail is all thats needed, and I'm doing it without any thought. It needs to be replaced peridoically and is just visible enough to slightly diminish the look. but its all I have for now.

Pete [/B]
    Gads... If you are already putting duct tape on your brand new $$$ Treo 600, I can't begine to imagine what else you have duct tape on!

(Duct tape - also called "Aggie solder" and "Arkansas chrome"
    Was using my nail until yesterday when I got a manicure and my thumbnail was cut too short to be useful. Now I am putting my 600 away until the nail grows back. Anyone point me to a site that
    will give me average time for thumbnail regrowth?
    Thanks,
    Bruce in Belle Harbor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast