1.    #1  
    As a current longtime not-so-satisfied Sprint customer who wants the 600 (badly!), but also wants flexibility and good service, I'm trying to figure out what to do. Given that:

a) The HS Treo upgrade discount ends next week
    b) GSM release is around the corner (or so we hope)
    c) Number portability is a month away
    d) Sprint has good data rates, reasonable coverage (in Bay Area), not so good prices, and *terrible* customer service

Do I:

a) take advantage of HS's deal now, and leverage the looming number portability to get a good deal out of Sprint for another year or two?

OR

b) wait for GSM and number portability and then take my # and business to T-Mobile, which seems to be the least bad of all the carriers (at least on these boards)? Maybe even coax a few perks out of them for being a Sprint traitor?

Related questions:

- what effect will number portability will have on the cost of services and quality of customer service by carriers? Will this give customers more leverage to negotiate rates? If so, is there better leverage with existing carriers or potential new ones?

- will carriers charge us to move our numbers from one carrier to another? If so, will they be one-time charges or per-month charges?

Any thoughts or insight is appreciated.

-David
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    I've got T-Mo and am patiently waiting their release of the 600, actually, i'm awaiting the HS release so i can get the extra $$ off and don't have a phone branded my T-Mo. I've had excellent coverage in both the Tampa Bay Area and SF Bay Area, i'm assuming you're referring to one of those?! Especially in SF.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Do you care about data transfer rates? If so, I'd go with Sprint. If not, and you can wait for the phone, why not wait and seek the best deal when you're ready to buy?
    I hear that if you stay there will be trouble, but if you go there will be double. Is that true? This really is a tough question you've posed.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    xxxxx
    Last edited by brain615; 03/23/2009 at 08:35 PM.
    Honestly I can't see having anyone but Sprint. There customer service may be lacking (it is) but they are getting better, and once you've had a 600 on their network you won't use anyone else. Add the five dollar no roaming (assuming you LIVE inside their coverage they'll let you do this) and you can have all of their best features plus the largest digital network out there because the phone also works on Verizon's 800mhz network. To me that's the best deal out there. Hands down.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I can chime in here: Sure SPCS CS sucks, but really the only time you have to deal with them is at plan change or activation time. To be honest I've never had a billing error (that I could figure out anyway) so I stay far far away from the dreded *2. As a side note, there was a posting here that gave direct numbers to the various departments - gotta love the no hold times.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by brain615
    All I know is I had T-Mobile for a year, and I hated it beause of the lack of service area coverage. I'm sure thats not the case with everyone, but all I know is since I switched to Sprint, I've never had a problem anywhere I have ever gone. Sprint may be a bit more expensive than T-Mobile, but if I can't use the phone whats the point of a cheaper price?
    Where do you live? I'm in Berkeley (SF East Bay) and Sprint's coverage is pretty good there. Dunno 'bout T-Mo's.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by DrDoom
    Honestly I can't see having anyone but Sprint. There customer service may be lacking (it is) but they are getting better, and once you've had a 600 on their network you won't use anyone else. Add the five dollar no roaming (assuming you LIVE inside their coverage they'll let you do this) and you can have all of their best features plus the largest digital network out there because the phone also works on Verizon's 800mhz network. To me that's the best deal out there. Hands down.
    Interesting....over on the GSM/GPRS threads, the prevailing view is that GSM rocks w/an unlocked phone, Sprint is the evil empire, and that T-Mo is carrier of choice. Guess folks love the one they're with. Now I just hope if Sprint wants me they'll let me know, else I'll have to go.
    For Bay Area folks (cali) Sprint is ok in east bay, spotty in north bay, HORRIBLE in south bay.

I live in S-bay and I moved from ATT-tdma (8 years) and went to Tmobile. Sor far I am happy with the service. With att my phone was analog + digital so it worked even in remote areas in the mountains etc. With Tmobile I get great service 99% of the time but in some areas there is nothing. I suspect that they will be making this better all the time.

I am not dissapointed at all going with Tmobile. GSM is a great technology, even with 1 bar reception you get crystal clear reception.

I love how it uses SIMs too. With a sim card you can switch phones in like 5 seconds. This makes replacing your phone a sinch. Or even have 2 PHONES!! this is great if you go out clubbing on the weekends, or you are into sports. Just buy one of those new matchbox size phones for when you want a small phone and leave the treo in the car. Just switch the sim to the other phone and its ready, nothing to configure.

Tmobile has great prices if you are power user too. I get 5000 anytime/anywhere/free long distance - mins for $99 a month. Nobody has anything close to this.

Last if but not least, GSM seems to use less battery than the other technologies. This means smaller phones, more functional phones, and longer battery life. ALL the coolest phones seem to be comming out in GSM 1st showing that the hardware manufactures clearly are showing what they predict the future to be (my reason to switch mainly, besides lowering my monthly cell bill by $300 a month).

-Farzon
    I heard somewhere, maybe even here, that you can't take your mobile number with you if you are switching between CDMA and GSM. Is this true?
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Sprint is gteat as long as you don't have to deal directly with them. gsm is hot because it is truly international. If you aren't leaving the US stay with Sprint for low cost/high speed data access.
    You can purchase a phone that is "locked" and then go through the necessary steps to unlock it.

I bought a TMo Treo 180 a few months back. Used a TMo sim to call CS and ask to unlock the phone.

For TMo here's the process.

1) Call CS and ask to unlock the phone.
    2) They'll ask for your IMEI number and such.
    3) They'll send the info to HandSpring to get the unlock code
    4) 5-10 business days later you get a SMS from TMo to call them
    5) Call them and they give you the unlock code and step by step instructions to unlock the phone. Each unlock code is unique to a specific phone.

Since I unlocked my Treo 180 I've used it on Cingular, AT&T and TMo. Each carrier sends it's own configuration down the wire (Blazer becomes "Cingular" etc.)

Each carrier is different and due to the time required you will need an account with the carrier to get the phone unlocked. I believe all carriers are required to unlock a phone at the customer's request. (Search Handspring's site for "service lock").