Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am nervous to try it, but what happens if you let the battery run down so low that the phone shuts off? Does it retain enought battery to power the palm so your data is not lost? Anyone get caught in this situation?
    Carl
    I've gotten my battery down to the red (about 15% according to "Battery Info") but not to the point where it shut off. From what I understand there's a backup battery that will preserve the data for a few days.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    It doesn't matter if you accept the mission or not -- the message automatically self destructs.
    you must be new to Palm devices (welcome)

When the battery dies the data disappears. It is like doing a hard reset on the device.

So HotSync frequently or back up your data to an SD card with a Backup Program.

Also you SHOULD plan on charging your Treo 600 device daily so the battery doesn't go down to empty. It has a Li On battery so no memory issues charging it if it isn't fully uncharged.

Keep it charged up and you'll keep your data.
    Palm Professional -> Palm III-> Sprint Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Sprint Handspring Treo 300 -> Sprint Handspring Treo 600 -> Sprint Treo 650 -> Sprint Treo 700p
    Page 4 of the manual says that if you drain you battery completely, the 600 will keep your data for up to 3 days.
    I've already had my unit down to the point where it automatically shut down. I think it was somewhere between 3% and 5% capacity left.

I was away from power for about an hour or two afterward. When I reapplied power, everything was still there as I left it. My suspicion is even at that low level of power you would still have a long time left before you'd lose data since the two items which really drain the battery, the screen and phone, wouldn't be on. All it's doing at that point is keeping the memory powered.

-former
    -former
    Originally posted by WHEATHIN

When the battery dies the data disappears. It is like doing a hard reset on the device.

Also you SHOULD plan on charging your Treo 600 device daily so the battery doesn't go down to empty. It has a Li On battery so no memory issues charging it if it isn't fully uncharged.

Even though that is good practice. If you read in the treo 600 manual, it does not loose data when battery dies (not right away at least). It says if it doesnt turn on, that after 3 days or more you loose your stuff. So if you can't turn it on because it just died, just get to a charger soon and you should be fine.
    Lose
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    If you read in the treo 600 manual...
    Don't worry, buddy -- if you keep it up long enough, someone'll be will to play Gatekeeper to your new Keymaster shtick.
    Originally posted by Jaggrey
    I've gotten my battery down to the red (about 15% according to "Battery Info") but not to the point where it shut off. From what I understand there's a backup battery that will preserve the data for a few days.
    How do I access "Battery Info" on T 600?

Edit: Found out how to do it. Just tap on Battery icon on top.
    When you tap on the battery icon in the launcher, it gives a percentage value of the battery life. The meter turns red at ~20% and tells you to charge. It looks like about 10% for the emergency charging warning. I saw the auto shutoff happen too - it beeped twice and gave me a 30 second countdown. I don't know what % this kicks in at. It is probably an absolute value rather than a relative percentage because the battery will age.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Although I haven't run the battery dead on my 600, you can make that last 10% last days by just turning off the wireless mode. I used to do this all the time with my 300 just to keep it alive until I got home and could sync.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by WHEATHIN

Nope, not new to Palm devices, I have had one since 1996 with a Palm Professional. My question had to do with if there is a backup battery to keep the data there even if the phone could not power up. I got what I deserved (RTFM). On all the other smartphones I have had (excluding the Treo300), there was either a capacitor that held a small charge, or a backup battery that kept the RAM powered while you changed your battery. Since the Treo600 does not have a replacable battery, I was concerned that this feature would not be there.

But, you guys have given me confidence to run the battery all the way down until I can not make a wireless call, and still feel good that my data will not be lost.

I do charge my Treo every night and I hotsync twice a day. I have yet to run my battery down any lower than about 25%.
    Carl
    I ran my 600 to the bone yesterday....email...chat...sending text messages...games....music.....taking pictures..cell phone calls. I just threw everything at it for about 4 hours straight....kept just about a full charge. I have both the house and car chargers ready and waiting. So I doubt if I will ever get down to those levels. When I'm near a charger, I just plug it up and keep it that way.

iGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Should your battery go dead you must immediately package your Treo 600 up safely and send it to me.

I will perform life-saving surgery on it and return it you through my eBay return program.

Seriously, if it's true the HS guys learned from the turbo drain nightmares of the 300 and put in a capacitor or something which holds enough of a charge to keep the memory around for a couple of days at least after complete battery discharge.
    Certainly a good move!

...ken
    Its good to hear that the T600 can retain data on ram for ~ 3 days after total battery drain...that gives me some comfort. However in the future I think Palmone should do the same thing on the next Treo as Sony did on the UX50 and what most modern PPC do now, integrated NAND backup. PalmSource recently signed up M-system as a liseceee, which is the company that produces the DiskOnChip Nand storage. This is the same technology found in the Sony UX50 which allows 16 MB of backup memory which automatically copies and stores the files in ram in the event of loss of power. This is exactly what the Treo needs imo...in fact probably more so considering it is a phone...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Bought the 600, charged it up, and took it to china with me to keep my contacts list, etc. did hotsync with Time Matters (our database). Forgot my charger when packing at the last minute. Went dead, and even though would not boot, little red light flashed for several days. Then like the Terminator, the red light quit flashing. Back to US, plugged in charged, no data, just like it came out of the box. All gone.

Rec. for backup program to backup to sd card? would be useful if something happens on the road. (no chargers for 600 available in Shenzhen, China)
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Its good to hear that the T600 can retain data on ram for ~ 3 days after total battery drain...that gives me some comfort. However in the future I think Palmone should do the same thing on the next Treo as Sony did on the UX50 and what most modern PPC do now, integrated NAND backup.
    Many of you probably already know this, but I believe the T650 does have a NAND-type backup called NVFS - I believe this is the related thread. I don't have much time to research that, but I thought I'd confirm for everyone that the Treo 600 does indeed last for at least a few hours (and probably a few days according to the documentation that people have mentioned). I have a bad habit of leaving my charger when I'm on business trips. This time, I didn't have it shipped to me in time before the battery died (I even had the cell phone off). I was greatly relieved when I plugged it in and everything was still there!
    ~ Zepfanman.com - When you can't find it on Google [my website]
    I'm on the phone a LOT. I've run it dry many, many times. Never lost any data.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockOfVictory
    Many of you probably already know this, but I believe the T650 does have a NAND-type backup called NVFS - I believe this is the related thread. I don't have much time to research that, but I thought I'd confirm for everyone that the Treo 600 does indeed last for at least a few hours (and probably a few days according to the documentation that people have mentioned). I have a bad habit of leaving my charger when I'm on business trips. This time, I didn't have it shipped to me in time before the battery died (I even had the cell phone off). I was greatly relieved when I plugged it in and everything was still there!

Umm...if you didn't notice, that post was over a year old!

But thanks for pointing out this thread anyway since it shows that my prediction for Nand integration into the 650 came true after all!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast