1.    #1  
    Ok, so I bought a legal 99 cent copy of a U2 song on iTunes. Changed the m4p extension to mp3 and sync'd it to the SD card. So far so good, and the excitement was building. Fired up pTunes, found the song on the card (in a directory automatically generated called "Audio"). Open and.....

pTunes hung. I'm assuming that the m4p extension is more than an Apple extension change and the song is encoded in someting other than mp3 - however, I thought that iTunes was mp3 encoding.

Anyone?
    Last edited by fmertz; 10/23/2003 at 01:59 PM.
    Doug
    Yes, the file is a protected AAC encoded song. Can't play it on any Palm device. Period. Only Mac and Windows machines and iPods.
    Not exactly true. Yes it's an ACC encoded song, but the protection isn't as secure as people believe. A little bit of trouble but not impossible by any means. I did a quick search on Google and pulled this up on the very first hit in the groups doing a search on "m4p to mp3".

On a Mac:

1) Start iMovie, specifying a new project (I use 'Test' in the Desktop
    folder)

2) Once iMovie is running, click the "Audio" icon in iMovie (lower right,
    along the section of icons labeled "Clips", "Photos", "Audio", etc.)

3) iMovie will display a list of your tunes - drag one down to the lower
    section of the iMovie window and drop it to import it

4) Once the import is done, choose File/Export

5) In the export dialog, choose "To Quicktime" and "Expert Settings...",
    and click "Export"

6) In the Save As dialog, make sure "Sound to AIFF" is selected, choose a
    name and location, and click "Save"

7) Switch to iTunes, and choose "File/Import"

8) Once the file is imported, selected it in iTunes, and choose
    "Advanced/Convert Selection to MP3"

There may be (probably is) a more efficient way....
    Very easy to convert after you burn to a CD. Convert CD file to MP3 with this, try free trial etc.
    Get this, from, http://www.onestopsoft.com/, Audio Converter Pro
    Convert all types of audio files, or extract audio from your favorite video AVI file, or even edit those music ID3 Tags with this must have tool. Supports all popular audio formats: WAV PCM, MP3 (MPEG Layer-3), WMA (Windows Media Audio), CDA, ALF2, ADPCM, GSM, DSP, A-LAW, U-LAW, VOX (Dialogic ADPCM), RAW (PCM, A-LAW, U-LAW) and Ogg Vorbis.

> More Information
    Thanks,
    intysf@cs.com
    TreoCentral.com
    Product Page Editor
    or much easier than that:

just burn the AAC song to a CD as audio, then rip back into iTunes as a MP3.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    I am not sure how reliable it is. But I have heard from a number of sources that you can burn them to a CD then rip the CD to MP3.
    iTunes won't burn CDs on my PC. I just installed it a couple of days ago. I reinstalled it last night and made sure I had the latest version.

The first time I tried to burn a CD, it said that I didn't have the right drivers installed, or something, and to either reinstall iTunes or reboot. I rebooted, didn't work, reinstalled iTunes, didn't work, rebooted again, still didn't work. Now, the command to burn a CD is grayed out in the menu and I can't even get as far as the error message.

I run Windows XP Pro SP1 on a Pentium 4 2.8C and use a Sony DVD-RW/CD-RW drive.
    Originally posted by starlord II
    I am not sure how reliable it is. But I have heard from a number of sources that you can burn them to a CD then rip the CD to MP3.
    it works fine.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Originally posted by wombat2
    iTunes won't burn CDs on my PC. I just installed it a couple of days ago. I reinstalled it last night and made sure I had the latest version.

The first time I tried to burn a CD, it said that I didn't have the right drivers installed, or something, and to either reinstall iTunes or reboot. I rebooted, didn't work, reinstalled iTunes, didn't work, rebooted again, still didn't work. Now, the command to burn a CD is grayed out in the menu and I can't even get as far as the error message.

I run Windows XP Pro SP1 on a Pentium 4 2.8C and use a Sony DVD-RW/CD-RW drive.
    not sure about Windows, I do know they have a 4.1.1 update. as for the CD burner search Apple's support here's a link to a bunch of articles on the subject:

http://search.info.apple.com/?search...0for%20windows
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    </body>
    Well all i have to say is DUH.

When you export the song to AIFF or MP3, and then RE-ECONDE it, you are really just compressing the song a second time. That means you just made the quality of your music half again as bad in quality.

If you really appreicate your music you wouldn't want to bastardize it in that way. Maybe some people can't tell, but when I hear bad MP3 compression, I can't stand it.

Besides, if you are a serious music love, you collect the good stuff on CD, since it is uncompressed and better quality anyway, I rip these CD's into my iTunes into an unprotected AAC file, which you can play in Windows Media Player, and on palm soon enought I'm sure. AAC is an international standard, not something cooked up by apple or microsoft as a way to dominate the world.

As for buying any music in protected format off of the iTunes music store, well here is the rub. I'll give you an example.

Most of the music I hear on the radio today are all one hit wonders. I got on iTunes and listened to the ColdPlay album. Well the album pretty much sucks my a$$, so I just bought the one song from the Radio that i liked.

So 80% of my collection I rip off of CD because it comes from artists I really like, and I can keep the CD's for the next better compression standard. As for 20% of it, all one hit wonders I probably won't care about much in the future, so I'll buy those for 99 cents, and that is priceless.

I guess it's to bad you can't play protected content on a Palm, but if you've ever used iTunes in concert with an iPod, why the he$$ would you even want to! lol.

Microsoft throws a stone about hardware player choice of iTunes. Anyone that ever used an iPod would know there just isn't a better choice. I might be opinionated, b ut after playing with iTunes, I think it is the most elegant and easy to use music program I have ever seen.

Windows media player? it's like a g$d damn operating system, I've had windows for years and never figured out how to use it.