1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried using RabbIT Proxy with the 600? I'm playing around with it for VPN access and it seems it might be a good match for the Treo since it does image compression on the fly and removes some ads.

Anyways, wondering if anyone had tried it out, it seems to work okay with the simulator, but I'm sure that doesn't convert to real world performance.

RabbIT Proxy can be found: http://www.khelekore.org/rabbit/

-Rob
    Cool. Looks like it's worth checking out. Blazer only accepts one proxy setting. Does Rabbit handle HTTPS as well HTTP?

Olop.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    hey, would you happen to know what the proxy is that blazer accepts? thanks.
  4.    #4  
    Yes, Rabbit supports SSL tunneling (basically pass-through). It's a snap to setup on Linux:

untar
    cd RabbIT2
    ./jr

Assuming you have a compatible JRE around. You just set your proxy to <hostname>:9666 and off you go...in the basic mode.

-Rob
    I'm new to proxies. What is the server address, and port? Is it free to use?
  6.    #6  
    This proxy is one you run on your own machine (or one you have access to) and it does the image compression and advert removal then sends the results on to your client, be it a PC or whatever.

It looks interesting to me since I don't really want a stream of 100k images when I hit most websites and I'm mobile. I'm actually browsing right now via RabbIT proxy...but not on a 600.

-Rob
    Hi,
    I was looking at Rabbit a couple of weeks ago. Do you know if blazer supports gzipped text? I'm assuming that's one of the things Rabbit does.
  8.    #8  
    I don't know if the actual treo600 supports gziped content, but I know the simulator does. I'd be quite interested to see if anyone has luck with it.

If someone wants to try it out, I could make my RabbIT proxy availble to them if you message me. I have a machine that I could throw it up and and you could set your proxy to my machine and see how it works.

-Rob
    Originally posted by Rob600
    I don't know if the actual treo600 supports gziped content, but I know the simulator does. I'd be quite interested to see if anyone has luck with it.

If someone wants to try it out, I could make my RabbIT proxy availble to them if you message me. I have a machine that I could throw it up and and you could set your proxy to my machine and see how it works.

-Rob
    Rob,

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that your proxy works. Unfortunately, it actually seems the page loads SLOWER than without the proxy.

Test page: palminfocenter.com

With proxy: 2 min
    Without: 1:11
  10.    #10  
    Well shucks, I was hoping that reducing the jpeg sizes would give a decent speedup. Yoj might try another site or two if you get a chance.

I guess I'll have to wait till I get my 600 and start messing with it. It seems to me that a lot of the bandwidth should be consumed by the images so compressing them /offsite/ would increase performance due to reduced bandwidth requirements.

(Took the wife to see it today...she kinda liked it, this is a good thing(tm))

-Rob
    Originally posted by Rob600
    It seems to me that a lot of the bandwidth should be consumed by the images so compressing them /offsite/ would increase performance due to reduced bandwidth requirements.

-Rob
    Not exactly. I haven't done any timed experiments, but there doesn't seem to be much difference with images on or off.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    has anyone tried the service referenced in this thread . It's an older post so i am not sure if there have been any improvements.

the actual site is here.
    Last edited by JHETZEL; 10/25/2003 at 07:16 PM.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
  13.    #13  
    I've upgraded to Sun's JDK from the Blackdown I was using. It seems to be a bit snappier with normal browsing (I'm using it right now)

If anyone would like to try this incarnation for performance drop me a PM or email.

-Rob