1.    #1  
    i travel alot, often times to small towns, and have been burned too many times by the red blink of death. there's even blocks in my city (cinci) that cause my T300 to lose service, turbo drain, and totally die within an hour. it's to the point where the T300 is half cool smart phone and half useless piece of crap.

so as i consider upgrading to the T600, i need to know if the RBOD has been addressed. i'm not talking general coverage... i can deal with not having service for a while if i'm out in the middle of nowhere america or in a dead spot in town. but it shouldn't drain my battery, crash my phone, and wipe out all the data on my PDA.

anyone that used to suffer the RBOD in certain areas with the T300 been there with their T600 yet? please let me know. thanks.
    Hi DJRaz,
    I can't comment on the RBOD problem as I didn't have a Treo 300 and am awaiting shipment of my Treo 600.

However, as for coverage problems, Sprint now offers an option called Free and Clear America. What I understand this is a $5 option on your plan. It allows you to roam onto Verizon's network when there is no Sprint coverage.

I'm sure there are other restrictions, but this may be an option you should consider.
    Originally posted by DJRaz
    i travel alot, often times to small towns, and have been burned too many times by the red blink of death. there's even blocks in my city (cinci) that cause my T300 to lose service, turbo drain, and totally die within an hour. it's to the point where the T300 is half cool smart phone and half useless piece of crap.

so as i consider upgrading to the T600, i need to know if the RBOD has been addressed. i'm not talking general coverage... i can deal with not having service for a while if i'm out in the middle of nowhere america or in a dead spot in town. but it shouldn't drain my battery, crash my phone, and wipe out all the data on my PDA.

anyone that used to suffer the RBOD in certain areas with the T300 been there with their T600 yet? please let me know. thanks.
    Issue has already been discussed and answered. Please do a search before posting. Thanks!
  4.    #4  
    i browsed and searched the boards for about 20 minutes before posting. some people, like yourself, said it appears that there is no RBOD, but i was looking for a bit more assurance from travelling people, not just basement people. when my T300 dies in town in a basement or bad block, it's annoying but not disasterous. when my T300 dies 500 miles from home (no sync!) after collecting data and junk for 4 days, that's a nightmare. i feel strongly enough about it that i will look into other devices if the T600 still works like crap on the road. even without cell service i need my pda, i can't have the phone software killing the pda aspect of it.

thanks for the replies everyone. if i had found this site a year ago i probably wouldn't have as many RBOD incidents. i almost threw the $300 T300 out the window one time i was so dissapointed in it.
    Originally posted by DJRaz
    i browsed and searched the boards for about 20 minutes before posting. some people, like yourself, said it appears that there is no RBOD, but i was looking for a bit more assurance from travelling people, not just basement people. when my T300 dies in town in a basement or bad block, it's annoying but not disasterous. when my T300 dies 500 miles from home (no sync!) after collecting data and junk for 4 days, that's a nightmare. i feel strongly enough about it that i will look into other devices if the T600 still works like crap on the road. even without cell service i need my pda, i can't have the phone software killing the pda aspect of it.

thanks for the replies everyone. if i had found this site a year ago i probably wouldn't have as many RBOD incidents. i almost threw the $300 T300 out the window one time i was so dissapointed in it.
    The thread I was referring to had reports from many folks, including myself. They weren't all basement reports. Keep searching...
    I dont know what RBOD is, but I can make a good guess.

I downloaded and read the treo 600 manual, and it says that after (I think 15 mins) of no service the phone goes into a "standby" mode which saves battery. It then looks for service every once in a while and turns back on if it finds it.
    Originally posted by stuartr

The thread I was referring to had reports from many folks, including myself. They weren't all basement reports. Keep searching...
    I don't understand folks like this???

To prove your point, you should do your own search and post a link to the thread. That helps everybody out.
    On my T300 I disabled digital roaming to avoid the rapid battery drain. I've actually enabled digital roaming on the T600 and signed up for the $5 plan mentioned above. So far no problems. I haven't noticed any rapid battery drain, and my house is in a weak Sprint coverage area!
    Originally posted by stuartr

I found the answer to this question on the Internet or somewhere else. But I won't tell you the answer nor where to find it. But I know the answer!

Ok. Now that I've proven that I can be a smartass too, take a look at this thread, which contains some anecdotal evidence that the RBOD problem has been fixed.

RBOD thread

(How hard was that?)

I have traveled a lot over the past 3 weeks since I have had my Treo600. I have been thru very rural areas, have moved from Sprint to digital roam to no service and back many, many times, and have not once had any problem with the RBOD. I say... it's been fixed.
    Carl