1.    #1  
    After reading this thread, a concern about using apps such as PdaNet to connect your computer to the internet arises.

(http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...935#post260935)

I have been using the trial version for a few days now and I think it is a great app. But there are a few people who have been getting their *unlimited* vision cut off due to SPCS thinking that they are using it as a modem. I've I'm wrong, please correct me, but PdaNet claims to use the wireless connection, not #777 as some people used before, as the way to get to the internet so it should be safe to use.

Can anyone CLAIRify how this software really works and if users use it to connect to the internet occassionally, would they be liable of DATA USAGE charges or even get their unlmited vision revoked?
  2.    #2  
    On the PdaNet homepage, it states on the first line...

"Software to drive your Treo PDA as a Wireless Modem for your PC"

but then it says this later on:

(copied from http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/faq.php#charge)

"
    How would I get charged for using PdaNet?

PdaNet usage is treated as wireless data usage the same as usage from the Blazer browser. Air minutes (phone usage) will not apply.

Different cell phone carriers provide different wireless data plans. As of today (Aug/2003), Sprint provides the PCS Vision plan allowing unlimited data usage for $10 or $15/month (most likely you are already paying this) for Treo 300. T-Mobile has a plan that charges $19 for unlimited access. Other Treo 270/180 service providers (AT&T, Cingular) charge usage by number of bytes downloaded.

If you customize PdaNet to dial your own ISP number (expert users only, won't apply to you if you don't even know what that means) but not the default number provided (#777 or *99***1#), charges will go under different scenarios, click here for more details on customizing PdaNet to dial your own ISP.

"

So what is it, a modem? Thus, data usage charges MAY or may not apply. But if it uses it just like Blazer would, then hey, we shouldnt get charged right?
    If you customize PdaNet to dial your own ISP number (expert users only, won't apply to you if you don't even know what that means) but not the default number provided (#777 or *99***1#), charges will go under different scenarios, click here for more details on customizing PdaNet to dial your own ISP.
    This is incorrect. It's still Vision data even if you're dialing an ISP. People have been getting disconnected for months using their phones as modems and dialing ISP's. Data is data as far as Sprint is concerned.

Larry
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    But there are a few people who have been getting their *unlimited* vision cut off due to SPCS thinking that they are using it as a modem.
    I thought it was just one person, not a few.

Also, I THOUGHT it was posted some time ago in the T300 forums or possibly other sprint related forums (I can't remember!) that it's in the TOS to *not* use your phone as a modem/connection to a PC/laptop/etc.
    Originally posted by lmelamed

This is incorrect. It's still Vision data even if you're dialing an ISP. People have been getting disconnected for months using their phones as modems and dialing ISP's. Data is data as far as Sprint is concerned.

Larry
    If you dial your own ISP, it is circuit switched data (IS-707) which gets billed at $0.39 per minute under most current plans that have Vision. I've tried it (for testing purposes) and got hit with the charge. In addition, if you send faxes (also IS-707), it is $0.39 per minute.
  6.    #6  
    thanks for the insight everyone. i guess i wont be using it as a modem anymore. didn't need it that much anyway. but i guess for those who think its handy, i believe its $15 on top of $15 for vision services with some data usage options.
    Originally posted by inspecta gadget
    thanks for the insight everyone. i guess i wont be using it as a modem anymore. didn't need it that much anyway. but i guess for those who think its handy, i believe its $15 on top of $15 for vision services with some data usage options.
    There is no option right now to use your phone as a modem, which is what PDANet does.

Sprint has always had the policy in the Advantage Agreement that you can't use your phone as a modem. It's just that they didn't really enforce it until recently. If they catch you, they can cancel your unlimited Vision and make you pay $.01/kb.
    If you dial your own ISP, it is circuit switched data (IS-707) which gets billed at $0.39 per minute under most current plans that have Vision. I've tried it (for testing purposes) and got hit with the charge. In addition, if you send faxes (also IS-707), it is $0.39 per minute.
    Hey sgruby,

Does the same hold true for WirelessModem? I'm on a Mac and that's the only app (as far as I know) that will allow my to use my Treo as a modem.

Thanks

[Edited]
    My bad. My question pertains to using Vision, not dialing an ISP. So, do you know if I'd be at the same risk of getting cut off if I used WirelessModem through Vision?
    Originally posted by doyouflip

Hey sgruby,

Does the same hold true for WirelessModem? I'm on a Mac and that's the only app (as far as I know) that will allow my to use my Treo as a modem.

Thanks

[Edited]
    My bad. My question pertains to using Vision, not dialing an ISP. So, do you know if I'd be at the same risk of getting cut off if I used WirelessModem through Vision?
    The same holds true for WirelessModem. I'm not responsible for any charges you may incur. There is a legit way to do data (or so I've been told)...get a data plan, i.e. 20, 40, 80 MB (or unlimited if it is still offered) and then add a voice plan on top of it. This is quite expensive and I'm not sure all reps know how to do it, but a Sprint technical person told me that this is the way.
    I have had the $10 vision plan since it came out. This evening in anticipation of receiving my Treo 600, I called Sprint and discussed plans. I was advised that if I wanted to transfer pictures, I had to add $5 a month to the plan for a total of $15 for the vision service (bringing it up to the cost of the "new" Vision plan. The $5 a month upgrade will read as an upgrade on my billing and makes it equal to the picture pack. I have not attempted to use my phones as modems, though an older Sprint model I have supports it.

Ben
    -------------

Originally posted by inspecta gadget
    I tried using the search feature and only came up with a forum from 4 years ago regarding using Sprint's Vision service for PDANet without being billed extra. Does anybody have any current information on using such a setup? Previously it seems like Sprint kicked people off their unlimited vision plan if used with PDANet?