1.    #1  
    I have used HS PDAs for a couple of years but I am new to the smartphone. What are the "unlocked" phones that everyone is waiting on? Does this mean a phone that you could use with whatever cellular service you want? Will there definitely be unlocked versions ot the Treo 600 at some point? For both CDMA and also for GSM? Or is there some reprogramming trick that can be used to unlock your Treo?

Thanks for any info you can give me. I am still trying to figure all this out.
    GSM versions have a SIM card in the phone. The SIM card can be put into any gsm phone to make it yours. Unfortunatly, carriers bind phones so that they can only run on thier networks. This is not the phone's defaut mode but a change to it.

Unlocking is making a phone non-carrier specific. This means anyone's SIM card can go in it and work.
  3. sda
    Yes. "Locked" refers to a phone being electronically tied to a particular carrier. Generally, this term is used in reference to GSM phones, which could easily be moved from carrier to carrier (AT&T, T-Mobile, Cingular in the U.S.) by just replacing the SIM card with the card of the carrier of choice. When the phone is locked, only the SIM card of a particular carrier will work. Most GSM phones can be unlocked through electronic means. Some carriers will do this for you (under various policies), but there are third party companies and software that will do the same thing for many phones.

With regard to the Treo 600, it is my understanding that unlocked phones will be made available from Handspring and that the carrier versions will likely be locked. Those phones may ultimately be unlockable .... we'll just have to wait and see.

An unlocked GSM world phone (such as the quad-band Treo 600) would be useable anywhere in the world that has GSM service provided that either a local SIM card is used, or the owner has activated international service.

Hope that helps.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks very much for the information!