Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So since it might be 2 months until we get our Treo 600 GSM, have you thought about the next version?

It just struck me. This version has been out since september. Since they might release at end of November that means it will be near christmas before we get our GSM models (release, stock, delivery, you know this will take weeks). That will be a total of 3-4 months from completion to delivery to customers.

Ok that being said.

HS said this would be the 1st in a LINE OF TREO's. We know this is some sort of carrier problem and not a GSM-600 problem.

Ok, so maybe they release the next version at the end of Jan 04?

Maybe we just skip 600 and move the next one probably comming out very soon. The next one shouldnt have carrier problems because its just an upgrade of the same unit.

Just random thoughts. Comments?
    Last edited by farzonalmaneih; 10/22/2003 at 06:55 PM.
    TREO 300 August 2002.

TREO 600 October 2003 (I'm feeling charitable).

TREO N-00 January 2005.

No, not January 2004.
    Always something else just over the horizon, it's really your choice when you jump in.
    I'd go with Jan 2005 as well.

The Handspring guys said that their next device will probably be an OS 6.x device, so will probably have to wait till the merger sorts itself out.

Hopefully we will get the hi-res screen, voice dialling, voice recorder, built-in bluetooth and wi-fi, slimmer form factor,400Mhz CPU, 128MB RAM, 512MB M-disk-on-chip, even better battery life and more than 50 favourites by then!

All programs should be treo-optimised with 5-way nav support by then!
    Here's my thoughts.

With what we've heard about no bluetooth, but space for the chip, and reluctant acceptance of Handspring that a low rez screen was a necessary "compromise," I think that certainly a new Treo with our "must-have" features is on the way.

Also keep in mind the acquisition of HS by Palm. HS did not have a lot of capital towards the end, as opposed to Palm, which has a relatively large amount. Also, historically, Palm has been much quicker to release new handhelds (no doubt due at least in part to the aforementioned capital situation) than HS.

On the other hand, were not talking about a PDA, were also talking about a cell phone, which needs, among other things, carrier specific software and field testing. Ask GSM Treo 600 hold-outs how frustraing those things can be.

So, in a nutshell, I think we will see a "Treo+" sooner than most people expect. At the earliest I would say summer of next year, but I my gut tells me more like January 2004, like someone posted previously. It all depends on how badly Palm wants to break into the smartphone market. If they want to play it aggressively, they can slap high res and bluetooth in, and submit it ASAP for testing, and release it as the "Professional" version, complete with a nice markup. Don't expect replacable battery, though, as that would cause a major redesign.

Honestly, I think this quick fix is the best route for Palm, since it may prove to be the most profitable. Once that model is released, they can begin work on the Treo 600's "true" successor, and they will have plenty of time to do so.

And to those who say high res will kill battery life:

Don't you know spin when you hear it? We've heard that HS started work so long ago that they couldn't implement high res, we've heard that they didn't think it was necessary, and now this? Gimmee a break. Its all spin, to help you accept a clearly inferior product than what you were expecting.

That being said, I still think the 600 is a fantastic device that is among the best in the world right now, and whether the next in the line is released in summer of next year or 2005, I still plan on ordering my 600 over the weekend.

Sorry. I wanted to give just my two cents, but all I had was a quarter...
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by ardint
    Here's my thoughts.

With what we've heard about no bluetooth, but space for the chip, and reluctant acceptance of Handspring that a low rez screen was a necessary "compromise," I think that certainly a new Treo with our "must-have" features is on the way.

Also keep in mind the acquisition of HS by Palm. HS did not have a lot of capital towards the end, as opposed to Palm, which has a relatively large amount. Also, historically, Palm has been much quicker to release new handhelds (no doubt due at least in part to the aforementioned capital situation) than HS.

On the other hand, were not talking about a PDA, were also talking about a cell phone, which needs, among other things, carrier specific software and field testing. Ask GSM Treo 600 hold-outs how frustraing those things can be.

So, in a nutshell, I think we will see a "Treo+" sooner than most people expect. At the earliest I would say summer of next year, but I my gut tells me more like January 2004, like someone posted previously. It all depends on how badly Palm wants to break into the smartphone market. If they want to play it aggressively, they can slap high res and bluetooth in, and submit it ASAP for testing, and release it as the "Professional" version, complete with a nice markup. Don't expect replacable battery, though, as that would cause a major redesign.

Honestly, I think this quick fix is the best route for Palm, since it may prove to be the most profitable. Once that model is released, they can begin work on the Treo 600's "true" successor, and they will have plenty of time to do so.

And to those who say high res will kill battery life:

Don't you know spin when you hear it? We've heard that HS started work so long ago that they couldn't implement high res, we've heard that they didn't think it was necessary, and now this? Gimmee a break. Its all spin, to help you accept a clearly inferior product than what you were expecting.

That being said, I still think the 600 is a fantastic device that is among the best in the world right now, and whether the next in the line is released in summer of next year or 2005, I still plan on ordering my 600 over the weekend.

Sorry. I wanted to give just my two cents, but all I had was a quarter...

Very logical look at the situation. I alway believe that a "PRO" or PLUS version is comming out withen a couple months.
    With regards to all applications having support for the Treo 5-way pad, I seem to remember reading that all PalmOne devices in the future would be using the Handspring nav API.
  8. purpleX
    Originally posted by Cyril
    I'd go with Jan 2005 as well.

The Handspring guys said that their next device will probably be an OS 6.x device, so will probably have to wait till the merger sorts itself out.

Hopefully we will get the hi-res screen, voice dialling, voice recorder, built-in bluetooth and wi-fi, slimmer form factor,400Mhz CPU, 128MB RAM, 512MB M-disk-on-chip, even better battery life and more than 50 favourites by then!

All programs should be treo-optimised with 5-way nav support by then!
    January 2005? Somebody is going to bring out similarly spec device by Q1 2004. eg a year earlier than your prediction. People are already clamoring for FCC leak waiting for such device. HP h6xx has been longed rumored to have such spec.

By 2005, a phone will have live video recording, near print screen resolution and location awareness capability, on top the spec above. It'll sport intel's 800mHz bulverde instead of Xscale.
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    TREO 300 August 2002.

TREO 600 October 2003 (I'm feeling charitable).

TREO N-00 January 2005.

No, not January 2004.
    Actually, it went like this:

TREO 180 / 180g April-ish 2002
    TREO 270 / 300 August-ish 2002
    TREO 600 October 2003 (Hey, I'm feeling charitable too! )

So, in my mind there could be, maybe a model ?670? due out in a few months? At least if you go by the pattern from the 180 to 270 releases. Since the 180 to 270 incremental improvement was mainly screen (color in this case), wishful thinking leads me think that a better screen could be, maybe, substituted into the 600?

Maybe I'm smokin banana peels here, but it sure would be nice if they did it again. Wouldn't it?
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    There are several technologies currently being SHIPPED that beg the Palm/Handspring team at headquarters to consider.

Hi res screens, decent cameras, voice recorders, are all being shipped right now.

Smartphones are introducing those technologies even in 2004.

Now the Treo 600 has the genius of having figured out many integration issues, without which a smartphone is handicapped, for example, they have that thumb board which WE 600 users appreciate so much.

If I were sitting at Palm right now I'd be embarrassed by the Treo 600 specs. Their junior engineers are like "look at this and look at that"...so believe me, they are redoing the Treo 600 as we speak. Donna must be looking like a gramma there with technology from the middle ages to the young new minds there. They are taking the latest Sonys apart.

Today I showed my 600 to a guy and he was very impressed. The bright screen looks good.

Really after Hi res, voice, a good camera, some software updates and this and that the Treo will be pretty much the evolutionary equivalent of the first homo sapiens...after that the improvements will be gradual and evolutionary.

Really the breakthrough was the T300. The T600 is lovely and I love it, but it does need the edge of high tech:

hi res will bring pictures, movies and sales demos to date...even 240 x 320 might do it but 320 x 320 would be it.

and so on...

To date the t600 is the only one that does it all. It's just that soon it will make things better.

Now the people at Palm cannot be leaking stuff cause we'd all wait. But its coming. Hi tech is gaining speed again. The summer is gone, the engineers are back at work, it is very exciting.
    You know, the 180 to 270 is an interesting comparison to look at, because it similarly parallels what I described in my earlier post. As a matter of fact, I don't think Handspring ever produced a high res device, did they? Palm on the other hand... (wink, wink)

Keep in mind though, that perhaps the jump to 270/300 was also partially fueled by the Sprint carrier support. After all, here in the U.S., Sprint is more or less the flagship carrier of the Treo line. This may be shifting, however, with the near simultaneous (at least on paper) network launch of the newest Treo.

I have a question to those board members who were actively watching the Treo line prior to the release of the 180 and 270/300 series. Was there any indication that the color version had an imminent release? Any official press reports, any rumors or mumblings, or was it dead silent until they dropped a colorful (pun intended) bombshell?

Honestly, if they decide to implement bluetooth, I would expect the wait to be a little longer than the approximate 4 month lapse between 180 and 270/300 series, because they would need to submit for a new FCC approval.

But what really sticks out, at least to me, is how similar the situation is, and how it has been mentioned over and over about how the bluetooth chip can be added without a major redesign, since they planned that into the design of this board, even though they opted to leave it out.

Think about it. If there was no prior warning in the 180-270/300 situation, then I can't help but wonder, has this been the strategy all along? To release a base model, and replace it a few months later with missing, key features like they did with the color screens on the original Treo "family?" It certainly is a way to make us tech-heads fork out a little extra cash for the newest devices, then expand their user base a little with the flood of "outdated" Treo's at discount on Ebay.

The only other thing that worries me, is Sprint's lack of bluetooth phones. Clearly, Sprint, as a carrier, doesn't want people using their Vision as an ISP, as users of PDAnet will tell you. And bluetooth, in Sprint's mind, would only make that situation worse, since it would obviously make data usage on a laptop or desktop even easier. Bottom line, I'm not sure if Sprint would want the Treo to be their first bluetooth enabled phone. Can't put my finger on it, but I've got a real strong feeling about it. Come to think of it, that may be why we don't have bluetooth on this version!

But if I see T-mobile with a Treo+ that has bluetooth and high res, I'll drop Sprint so fast, they won't even have time to kiss my @$$. November will be a good month: Matrix finale AND wireless number portability!
    I was one the first people to buy a 180. I'm not sure but I think I rember them saying from the begining that a color upgrade would be available soon.
    I am thinking of shifting from TREO to some other brand, mainly because of BLUETOOTH. My car has a great hadnsfree bluetooth product that mutes the radio. I won't buy the TREO 600 because it lacks this option. I know a third party SDIO is probably soon to come for bluetooth, but I also want to be able to store MP3's in a memory card.

Soo...
    If I knew for sure that there would be a PRO 600, I would wait. As it is now, I may make the move to the PPC II when it is released by t-mobile - probably in November. It is already available unlocked on-line for mucho bucks. I will really miss the TREO keyboard, though.

Decisions
    Decisions
    Bob
    Originally posted by Christian1
    I'm not sure but I think I rember them saying from the begining that a color upgrade would be available soon.
    Yes, they announced the 270 AT LEAST 4 weeks before that very late February day when we could finally order the 180 via Handspring. I am thinking they even announced it 6 to 8 weeks before then but I just could't wait a half year.

Would incorporating a newer high rez screen involve a significant amount of work in tailoring the OS to accommodate??
    No. OS 5 already supports high res in many devices already on the market.

However, some Handspring unique programs may need tweaking, such as Blazer 3.0 and the phone dialing application.
    Originally posted by jhoff80
    With regards to all applications having support for the Treo 5-way pad, I seem to remember reading that all PalmOne devices in the future would be using the Handspring nav API.
    Please, can you do a little history search to see where you read it? This sounds pretty important.
    The article is right on this site back in the "Treo 600 Revealed" news.

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/236-1.htm

The pad uses a new API, so it is not compatible with software that uses Palm's or Sony's existing API. Handspring will shortly release programming documentation for developers so they can add navigation support to their applications. On a positive note, PalmSource and Handspring has agreed that Handspring's naviation API will be the standard for Palm OS 6.
    Don't you love it how most of those NIFTY palm os 5 apps won't run on the treo because no other palm os 5 device uses an oudated 160x160 display?

Well yay, I have OS5, I can't use any of the cool software, woopty freakin do. And all this for $599.

Hey but I'm hapy with longer battery life, a phone I can really use, and the best smartphone navigation I've ever seen. I love never using the stylus and the web browser is improved enough to read all my fav news sites, and fast.

To lifes a *****, but most of te built in apps are all I really need. Just a shame I can't play with all the fun os 5 apps.

Ya I know PTunes and all that, but use an iPod, Treo as an MP3 player is pratically worthless.
    yeah what a bummer - palm os 5 but no 160x160 accommodation.
    I wonder though if developers won't modify this problem to accommodate the new treo 600 users?
    as far as the treo 600+, I think we can expect this much from palmone after the merger:
    1) 320x320 screen
    2) voice recorder
    3) slider end for keyboard
    (maybe)
    4) 64Mb memory
    5) palm os 6
    6) bluetooth
    7) 200-300 mhz processor
    8) wifi - ( maybe)
    9) blending of tungsten t's and c's.with the treo 600. wow!
    I have no specific expectations, but I'm sure there will be some nice incremental improvements. I'll have to consider whether the upgrade is worth it for my needs. I don't really mind the screen that much, and that's the biggest shortcoming.

By the way, I don't know if it would be feasible (or particularly valuable) to do 320x320 in a screen as small as the T600's. 240x240 seems more like it. Although, it would be nice from a software design/compatibility standpoint to go to 320x320. I hope that they refuse to budge on the screen's physical size. I'd rather it be like it is than be a half inch wider and 320x320.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast