Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by wombat2
    I have no specific expectations, but I'm sure there will be some nice incremental improvements. I'll have to consider whether the upgrade is worth it for my needs. I don't really mind the screen that much, and that's the biggest shortcoming.

By the way, I don't know if it would be feasible (or particularly valuable) to do 320x320 in a screen as small as the T600's. 240x240 seems more like it. Although, it would be nice from a software design/compatibility standpoint to go to 320x320. I hope that they refuse to budge on the screen's physical size. I'd rather it be like it is than be a half inch wider and 320x320.
    It was my understanding that one of the already released Sony Clie's has a high resolution (320x320) screen that is the same physical dimensions as the Treo 600's screen.

Just like to reiterate once more, that if the 600 featured high res and bluetooth, I'd be freaking ecstatic, as most would be on these boards. All of those other things, like increased processor speed, Palm OS 6, more ram, etc. I think will have to wait for the next major update to the Treo family line. I would hope to get a plus version sooner rather than later, with only those two features included.

Palm, just give us the screen and BT now. That way you have plenty of time to do that other fancy stuff.
    Lets face it, the Treo 600 is light years ahead of the 300. I still get excited not ever having ot use a stylus. Forget all the fancy toys, 5 way navigation was the single biggest feature for me.
    They really nailed the interface.
    Originally posted by wombat2
    By the way, I don't know if it would be feasible (or particularly valuable) to do 320x320 in a screen as small as the T600's. 240x240 seems more like it. Although, it would be nice from a software design/compatibility standpoint to go to 320x320. I hope that they refuse to budge on the screen's physical size. I'd rather it be like it is than be a half inch wider and 320x320.
    240x240??! AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $PalmOS$ $only$ $supports$ $resolutions$ $in$ $multiples$ $of$ $160$. $The$ $only$ $PalmOS$ $devices$ $AFAIK$ $that$ $support$ $240$ $pixels$ $of$ $any$ $kind$ $are$ $a$ $few$ $Asian$ $lisencees$ $that$ $use$ $it$ $for$ $Chinese$ $script$ $like$ $the$ $Legend$ $168$ $which$ $has$ $a$ $240x320$ $screen$ $and$ $the$ $GSL$ $Xplore$ $G18$ $which$ $has$ $a$ $160x240$ $pixel$ $sceen$. $There$ $is$ $NO$ $way$ $there$ $will$ $ever$ $be$ $a$ $240x240$ $rez$ $screen$. $It$'$s$ $a$ $wierd$, $odd$ $number$ $resolution$ $and$ $there$ $will$ $be$ $NO$ $application$ $support$ $for$ $such$ $a$ $resolution$. $There$ $are$ $already$ $devices$ $out$ $there$ $like$ $the$ $Sony$ $UX50$ $which$ $have$ $screens$ $of$ $comprable$ $dimensions$ $and$ $that$ $have$ $320x320$ $pixels$...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 10/24/2003 at 01:24 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Palm releases in the spring and fall. Jan is neither. I would be surprised if they hit a spring release date, so I'm going with Fall 2004, just like this was Fall 2003.

BTW, all this nonsense about 3-4 weeks once something is made "officially available" until they get one: the Sprint 600 was put on sale officially and 3 days later I had one. No special avenues. Just called up HS and ordered. Done.
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

240x240??! AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $PalmOS$ $only$ $supports$ $resolutions$ $in$ $multiples$ $of$ $160$. $The$ $only$ $PalmOS$ $devices$ $AFAIK$ $that$ $support$ $240$ $pixels$ $of$ $any$ $kind$ $are$ $a$ $few$ $asian$ $lisencees$ $that$ $use$ $it$ $for$ $Chinese$ $script$ $like$ $the$ $Legend$ $168$ $which$ $has$ $a$ $240x320$ $screen$ $and$ $the$ $GSL$ $Xplore$ $G18$ $which$ $has$ $a$ $160x240$ $pixel$ $sceen$. $There$ $is$ $NO$ $way$ $there$ $will$ $ever$ $be$ $a$ $240x240$ $rez$ $screen$. $It$'$s$ $a$ $wierd$ $odd$ $number$ $resolution$ $and$ $there$ $will$ $be$ $NO$ $application$ $support$ $for$ $such$ $a$ $resolution$. $There$ $are$ $already$ $devices$ $out$ $there$ $like$ $the$ $Sony$ $UX50$ $which$ $have$ $screens$ $of$ $comproble$ $dimensions$ $and$ $that$ $have$ $320x320$ $pixels$...

Not exactly. My old HandEra was a workhorse of a machine, but there were MANY apps that didn't play well with the screen. I'm not looking forward to a rehash of that.

240x240??! AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $PalmOS$ $only$ $supports$ $resolutions$ $in$ $multiples$ $of$ $160$. $The$ $only$ $PalmOS$ $devices$ $AFAIK$ $that$ $support$ $240$ $pixels$ $of$ $any$ $kind$ $are$ $a$ $few$ $asian$ $lisencees$ $that$ $use$ $it$ $for$ $Chinese$ $script$ $like$ $the$ $Legend$ $168$ $which$ $has$ $a$ $240x320$ $screen$ $and$ $the$ $GSL$ $Xplore$ $G18$ $which$ $has$ $a$ $160x240$ $pixel$ $sceen$. $There$ $is$ $NO$ $way$ $there$ $will$ $ever$ $be$ $a$ $240x240$ $rez$ $screen$. $It$'$s$ $a$ $wierd$ $odd$ $number$ $resolution$ $and$ $there$ $will$ $be$ $NO$ $application$ $support$ $for$ $such$ $a$ $resolution$. $There$ $are$ $already$ $devices$ $out$ $there$ $like$ $the$ $Sony$ $UX50$ $which$ $have$ $screens$ $of$ $comproble$ $dimensions$ $and$ $that$ $have$ $320x320$ $pixels$...
    Whoa! You never know what statement will send a techie off the edge of their server!

240x240??! AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $PalmOS$ $only$ $supports$ $resolutions$ $in$ $multiples$ $of$ $160$. $The$ $only$ $PalmOS$ $devices$ $AFAIK$ $that$ $support$ $240$ $pixels$ $of$ $any$ $kind$ $are$ $a$ $few$ $Asian$ $lisencees$ $that$ $use$ $it$ $for$ $Chinese$ $script$ $like$ $the$ $Legend$ $168$ $which$ $has$ $a$ $240x320$ $screen$ $and$ $the$ $GSL$ $Xplore$ $G18$ $which$ $has$ $a$ $160x240$ $pixel$ $sceen$. $There$ $is$ $NO$ $way$ $there$ $will$ $ever$ $be$ $a$ $240x240$ $rez$ $screen$. $It$'$s$ $a$ $wierd$, $odd$ $number$ $resolution$ $and$ $there$ $will$ $be$ $NO$ $application$ $support$ $for$ $such$ $a$ $resolution$. $There$ $are$ $already$ $devices$ $out$ $there$ $like$ $the$ $Sony$ $UX50$ $which$ $have$ $screens$ $of$ $comprable$ $dimensions$ $and$ $that$ $have$ $320x320$ $pixels$...
    Not true...Palm OS 5.3 will not only support 240x240 (MidRes), but a few more variants as well. In fact, OS 5.2.1 already supports some differences...

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=1583
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    If there is already built into the OS support for 320x320, I wonder if one purchased the 320x320 screen that is the same size as the current screen, how difficult it would be to replace the creen with a hi res screen? Since it uses a ribbon cable, it the electrical pinouts are the same it might work. I am sure the engineers had to plan for the eventuality of the screen being upgraded.

Anyone know the chipset driving the screen and the screen vendor?
    John
    > TREO 300 August 2002.
    >
    > TREO 600 October 2003 (I'm feeling charitable).
    >
    > TREO N-00 January 2005...

== "...IBD: When will this mystery product be available?
    ==
    == Hawkins: It's not coming out soon. All products take a
    == minimum of a year to build, but most take 15 months..."

-- http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/031027/tech01_1.html

Damn I'm good!

Giggle.
    Originally posted by NocTurnerV

Not true...Palm OS 5.3 will not only support 240x240 (MidRes), but a few more variants as well. In fact, OS 5.2.1 already supports some differences...

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=1583
    Thanks for the link NocTuner! I didn't catch that. However, I still maintain that such a MidRes would not be advisable b/c of the totall lack of software support! In fact, it would suprise me to see if we ever actually saw this resolution in a real world device...perhaps maybe a future Fossil wrist pda, but that it...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12