Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1.    #1  
    Ok - here is my situation. I have a new Blackberry 7230 with a Data-only plan with T-Mobile ($39.99/m with $0.20/min pay as you go phone). You might ask why I did not get a phone servie plan on the device - I already had a phone with T-Mobile that I recently activated and it is more convenient at times for me to carry it.

    My phone-only plan is the $19.99 base plan.

    I am interested in the Treo 600 and I am a Treo 300 owner (on Sprint though)....

    what would be the best way for me to get the Treo 600 for T-Mobile (when they are released that is) - could I transfer my existing SIM from the Phone I have and activate Data on the Treo 600?
  2. willp2's Avatar
    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    #2  
    Originally posted by JMF0
    Ok - here is my situation. I have a new Blackberry 7230 with a Data-only plan with T-Mobile ($39.99/m with $0.20/min pay as you go phone). You might ask why I did not get a phone servie plan on the device - I already had a phone with T-Mobile that I recently activated and it is more convenient at times for me to carry it.

    My phone-only plan is the $19.99 base plan.

    I am interested in the Treo 600 and I am a Treo 300 owner (on Sprint though)....

    what would be the best way for me to get the Treo 600 for T-Mobile (when they are released that is) - could I transfer my existing SIM from the Phone I have and activate Data on the Treo 600?
    I think you just buy it via the Handspring upgrade at $399, using your Treo 300 serial.

    Then when you get it, pop in your phones SIM card. Call TMobile and have them turn on unlimited data for $19.99 and turn off the Blackberry when you are sure you are done with it.

    BTW - The 7230 is a very good phone, and has among the best reception of any GSM phone I've used.
  3. #3  
    I am a current Treo 300 user and my 600 is on it's way. I am a very heavy email user and am wondering if I should be switching to the blackberry 7230. It seems it has what I am looking for (real-time email, calendar and contact management) and reliable phone service plus much longer battery life.

    Thoughts?
  4. willp2's Avatar
    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    #4  
    Originally posted by Emailfan
    I am a current Treo 300 user and my 600 is on it's way. I am a very heavy email user and am wondering if I should be switching to the blackberry 7230. It seems it has what I am looking for (real-time email, calendar and contact management) and reliable phone service plus much longer battery life.

    Thoughts?
    Well ... I'm a BB 7230 user looking to switch the other way. The BB is great if your main thing in life is email. If you need email like now, than it is pretty hard to beat. And yes I think the phone on works very good and battery life is just crazy good.

    But ... You are very limited in what you can do beyond the built in functionality. RIM has designed the thing so you pretty much have to have a $1000 backend server (BES) to do anything fancy. That plus there just plain isnt much software for the thing and you end up very limited very fast. At least I did, hence my interest in the 600.

    There is a whole lot to like about the 7230 and Blackberrys service, but I found myself constantly running into walls.
  5. #5  
    Are you looking for specific functionality or software?
    Do you make a lot of calls? Can you give me an idea of how often you have to charge the battery?

    I use a POP account and am trying to figure if the Blackberry web client is easy to use and will get me real-time mail?
  6. willp2's Avatar
    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    #6  
    Originally posted by Emailfan
    Are you looking for specific functionality or software?
    Do you make a lot of calls? Can you give me an idea of how often you have to charge the battery?

    I use a POP account and am trying to figure if the Blackberry web client is easy to use and will get me real-time mail?
    I am looking for specific functionality and software. There is quite simply very little software available for it. Even when you look around at the sites with Blackberry software, almost none of it will run on the 7230. It supports J2ME which in theory opens up the system to many possibilities, but in practice everything needs to be packaged for it, so really almost nothing works.

    Then when you can get something to run on it, it usually requires a BES server. For instance it is just about impossible to run a different web browser, email client or anything else that requires any kind of data connection without having a BES server. Incidentally web browsing on the thing is absolutely miserable.

    All that said, it is without a doubt the best all around PDA / Phone and among the best phones Iíve ever used. I often am on the phone for 2-4 hours a day. With that kind of usage, the battery meter will drop maybe one bar in a day. I have gone 3 days or so without charging and Iím pretty sure I could go a week or so if I wanted to, but it uses the usb connection to charge. So every time I plug-in to charge, the battery gets topped off.

    The webclient is simple enough. If your goal is to get ďreal timeĒ mail to your phone, you need to have your pop3 mail forwarded to your blackberrys address. This can be a problem with some ISPís that may not allow forwarding. If yours doesnít, youíll need to have the webclient pull mail, which it will do every 15 minutes or so, then no instant mail.

    So again, I love and hate the thing. If RIM would open up the OS a bit and allow applications to run, then I would not even consider the Treo. But as things stand the 7230 like all RIM products is really geared toward the corporate enterprise where dropping a few grand on enterprise apps for the blackberrys is no big deal.

Posting Permissions