Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Just installed the new McPhling and selected "Custom" for the button type and now the Volume Up button opens the app menu and Volume Down goes to the previous app. Also selected "Hold" so that the volume buttons can be used normally.

This also makes it easy to use the NetConnet DA to connect/disconnect from the Internet quickly.

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!
    McPhling is a great program, yet I am still searching for the best keys to use to launch it.

Everything I have tried is with the "hold" option, since I do not want to lose any button functionality by adding McPhling.

The 5 way is not acceptable, as the repeating function is important to me in the calendar program.

The "a" and <-- are not acceptable, especially the "a" , as it will create a new appointment, named "a", in the calendar.

The volume keys was a nice idea, though it causes the volume to change as well.

Unfortunately, the silver key (function select key) will not work by itself (the custom McPhling option will not acknowledge its existence), and the menu key, which does nothing special if you hold it down, would have been a great choice, but alas, it is also not reachable from the McPhling custom setting.

So I have settled on the up volume for apps, (since I always want to be at max volume anyway and when I don't want max volume, I use the slider to silence the whole Treo) and the <-- key for last app.

Does anyone have a better idea?
    Originally posted by BionicBoxcar

Does anyone have a better idea?
    How about the Alt-Key? It will fire a zero, though, when the option mode is on.
    A nice idea, though you are correct, it creates a zero and so is not better than the "a" key.
    I can get Snapper and SMS to work if I mark them as favorites (with the heart).
    I've mapped

App: Right
    Back: Left

I asked the developer if we could have access to the volume up/down in all cases except while in the phone mode.

He replied: "There is no way for "McPhling" to handle the volume up/down if and only if the Phone app is not running. It will be all or nothing."
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    After a bit of experimentation, I've chosen to use the up/down volume keys without the hold option. It is still possible to adjust ringer & call volume with a double press.

First press (up) - activates McPhling app menu
    Second press (up or down) - brings up appropriate volume adjustment & subsequent presses move slider

The only minor annoyance factors with this setup are:
    1) remembering to always hit the up button before doing a volume adjustment
    2) having to wait for the app menu to time-out after adjusting volume (can just click elsewhere on screen though)
    I finally got a setup that works well for me, I set activation to holding the spacebar. It does not interfere with speed dials and there is usually no great need for auto repeat of space.
    David
    it's the weirdest thing. when I have mcphling enabled, it pops up when I receive a call! huh?
    I had to disable it because it created an extra step to retrieve my call. pity, because it's a great app..........
    I use the left and right 5-ways (with the "hold" option). Works great!
    I'm wondering whether to get McPhling or HiLauncher. I basically want to get the "back to previous app" functionality. It looks like HiLauncher does this from what I read, and also gives you a useful launcher app. Any suggestions on whether to spend the extra $5 and get HiLauncher or not? Does the "previous app" function work just as well on both apps? Thanks
    Just d/l the new McP - how fantastic! Hold left to go back, hold right for favorites list. What more do you need?!
    for what it's worth - treo butler can give you the 'previous app' functionality on your volume key.

if you want to actually change the volume, you hold down opt+vol
    Edit: It wasn't McPhling I was using after all. It was Switch5 which is free.

Could not get McPhling to work.
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 12/06/2003 at 10:57 AM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    For those interested, here is the link for Switch5:

http://palmsource.palmgear.com/index...E&prodID=50373
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 12/06/2003 at 10:59 AM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Just found McPhling... nice app.

I've noticed that the hold time is a bit quick. For you experienced McPhling users, do you just get used to it? Is there a way to set the hold time?
    Quote Originally Posted by ERicJ
    Just found McPhling... nice app.

I've noticed that the hold time is a bit quick. For you experienced McPhling users, do you just get used to it? Is there a way to set the hold time?

what do you mean by hold time?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    he meant the button hold time to launch McPhling's Menu.
    i have mcphling assignrd to the home key. it comes up quickly and stay up for as long as i need it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Using the home key combined with the hold option doesn't seem to work well. When I press & hold the home key it first performs a home operation, which takes me out of the current app and limits the usefulness of the "previous app" function.

I'm currently testing out apps menu=hold-hardbutton #2, back=hold-hardbutton #3; seems to be working well. I guess I am getting used to the hold time, but still occasionally pop the menu when I didn't want to.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast