1.    #1  
    I would like to purchase a Treo 600 but I want to confirm how an unblocked model works.

I travel quite a bit between Europe and the US. In order to avoid very expensive roaming charges between the two continents, I'm intending to subscribe to two local carriers and swap out the gsm chips as necessary.

Questions: Is this realistic? As the device is probably not designed for the chip to be swapped, do I risk breaking it (some phones are quite fragile in this area)? Besides two phone numbers, are there any other disadvantages?

-Thanks
    Unless you have a locked GSM phone there should be absolutely no problem in swapping the SIM cards. Even if you do get a locked GSM phone from the likes of T-Mobile/Cingular/AT&T I am sure if you explained to them your needs and continued with their plan they would give you the unlocking code.

And there is absolutely no disadvantage to a having an Unblocked phone, infact it is only an advantage.
    Originally posted by iblink
    ...snip...Questions: Is this realistic? As the device is probably not designed for the chip to be swapped, do I risk breaking it (some phones are quite fragile in this area)? ...snip...
    The GSM version of the Treo 600 is DESIGNED to allow easy swapping of the SIM chip. There is a slide-out tray at the top near the SD card slot. (The Sprint/CDMA version does not have this.) You don't have to take the device apart or do surgery. It's quite easy.

Wait for the GSM version. That will have what you want.

When I got my T-Mobile (then Voicestream) Treo 270, I checked to see if it was unlocked by borrowing a chip from a Cingular user. I just inserted it and it worked, so mine was unlocked. When I went overseas, I simply plugged in a local-carrier SIM chip without issues.

If your Treo 600 comes locked to your provider, you'll need another chip to unlock it. If you want to do this before you leave the country, simply borrow a chip from someone on a different carrier, call up your carrier and request the unlock code (after explaining your situation). Most carriers (particularly T-Mobile) are reasonable and will give you the code without a fuss.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I wonder what the breakpoint is of paying the roaming charges versus, having two contracts. It might make sense depending on where you call when roaming, e.g. local in Europe or back to the U.S. How much GPRS usage etc.
    Originally posted by george_vc
    I wonder what the breakpoint is of paying the roaming charges versus, having two contracts. It might make sense depending on where you call when roaming, e.g. local in Europe or back to the U.S. How much GPRS usage etc.
    You don't need contracts when visiting Europe. You can pick up a pre-paid SIM chip in Europe as easily as buying a phone card in a convenience store. They're dirt-cheap, no hassle, no fuss.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.