Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    A info sheet that came with the 600 says that not all 300 car chargers are compatable with the 600. It says that some 300 car chargers can damage the battery in the 600.

What about AC 300 chargers, are they all compatable with the 600?

Since I already have all those charger accessories for the 300, it would be nice not to have to buy new extra chargers (home and office) for the 600.

?
    I've been using my T300 AC adapter for 2 days now, no problems. May be too early to tell.
    Originally posted by Kive
    A info sheet that came with the 600 says that not all 300 car chargers are compatable with the 600. It says that some 300 car chargers can damage the battery in the 600.

What about AC 300 chargers, are they all compatable with the 600?

Since I already have all those charger accessories for the 300, it would be nice not to have to buy new extra chargers (home and office) for the 600.

?
    According to Handsporings website it said SOME car chargers (not all and it pictures the oens that are OK) will cause fatal errors and resets.

I did not see something that said it damages the battery however,

Mike
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Sorry, I was writing (paraphrasing) from memory on my first post. Guess I shouldn't do that.

You're right. It doesn't say battery damage. It just says that certain models of TREO 300 car chargers are not "compliant" for the 600.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    But the question remains, are AC 300 chargers still OK (will not damage) for use with 600 units?
    I'm not sure there is a difinitive answer for this. Handspring may not ever say either - in the hopes that you purchase their new chargers. They probably will (or may already have) release a regular outlet adaptor that is compatible with all existing Treos, but that doesn't mean former adaptors are Treo 600 "compliant".

I'm wondering the same question for USB chargers. I have one from iConcepts that doesn't have the standard plug on the factory USB cable (looks different and has no button). I also have one I got off eBay with a Y connector for serial and USB connections, but its plug that inserts into the Treo is a bit longer than the factory Treo USB cable. I've used the latter one and haven't had issues, but that doesn't mean it's "compliant".
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    My sprint treo600 did not come with any such notification about the car charger. It is a rev B phone. Did other not get that flier? If you did get that flier could you post your hardware revision?

Thank you
    Just a thought... For those of us that purchased the Treo 300 way back when last year remember the recall on the car charger? Handspring could be refering to that car charger.

Just a thought...
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I was wondering about that myself. But if I remeber right the problem with the old car chargers was the pins made it hard to remove.
    But the question remains, are AC 300 chargers still OK (will not damage) for use with 600 units?
    Look at the specs on the charger - 5.2V, 1.0A (from memory). Both AC chargers have the same specs.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Same specs but does the connector have the same pin out? I've been chicken to test mine, as I don't want to have to buy another from frying it.
    I've been using my T3 charger with the T6 for almost two weeks now.
    Here's a picture of the two chargers Handspring deems compliant:

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...olutionId=9245 (found this on HS site)
    Sorry, I was writing (paraphrasing) from memory on my first post. Guess I shouldn't do that.

You're right. It doesn't say battery damage. It just says that certain models of TREO 300 car chargers are not "compliant" for the 600.
    Thanks for clearing that up... I did not think it said anything anywhere about "battery damage" and I hope not.

I was using a charger for the 300.. it was this replacement one that the sprint store gave me severla months ago because my old one broke at the connector to the phone plugin...

The one they gacme me had this big ol plug on the end... it was very sturdy and would break.

When I got the 600 I used this and whats funny is it worked fine for about 3 or 4 days.

Then all of the sudden it stopped... It would ding like it was starting to charge when it was half way plugged in when I plugged it all the way in it dingged again and didn't charge anymore. Also, the red LED lught (it was not the type that goes off when the unit is charged it always stayed on) would DIM when it was plugged in.

I bought it to Sprint store and they took it back and gave me a regular charger for the 300, which is one of the ones in the picture on Handspring's site so it is approved.

There was no visible harm to the Treo, and I was hoping there was no harm to the battery I didn't know about.

I assume if there was that possibility, Handspring would have made it clear in their very terse warning page of how the 300 chargers aren;t compitble.. All they say is fatal errors and resets.. none of which has plagued me (at least from that).

Anyone have any similar experiences... or know what might of been happening to make it stop charging like that and the LED to dim?

Thanks!

Mike
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I know the voltage is the same ... but is the plug the same? If not identical, can a 300 plug damage the 600 receptacle?
    I know the voltage is the same ... but is the plug the same? If not identical, can a 300 plug damage the 600 receptacle?
    plugs are the same.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I mean maybe the pin setup is different in the plug end?

I don't know enough about this stuff.

And can it cause PERMANENT damage?

Someone who knows???
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    All evidence suggests that the A/C and USB chargers are fully compatible. The issue of the car chargers has been discussed at great length in some other thread. The problem is not one of damaging the battery, or incompatible pinouts, but of some glitch that causes the old charger to cause the Treo 600 to perform a hard reset. Apparently the old chargers also caused problems for the Treo 300, which is why they were recalled.

What I'd really like to see, instead of those "pictures" of the approved versions, but a picture of the old one, just to make sure the difference is very non-subtle. Did the original chargers have the LCD? They lack some other verious obvious item shown in the images at the link above?

ian
    I just ordered one off of ebay (made sure it matched the pic from the insert in the manual). All I can say is I can't wait for it to arrive, my Treo has been dying about the time I leave work and I wan't to use it on the drive home too! I'm sure this will be less of an issue once I get over my initial excitement and acttually put it down for a few minutes a day