1.    #1  
    After many months of anticipation, I received my T600 last week. I used/played with it for a week and now I'm sending it back...

I have two main reasons - One I couldn't justify the $500+ cost and Two, the reception (signal strength) wasn't cutting it for me.

Additionally, there are minor annoyances with the T600 that also played into my decision. Individualy they don't add up to a return but together they come pretty close, especially when paying $500+.

They include:

* The screen resolution and 11.5 bit color
    * Lack of a strong vibration alert (a must for me)
    * No voice dialing out of the box
    * No voice recording out of the box
    * Poor Camera picture quality in low light/indoors
    * Less than desirable battery life
    * Slightly heavier than I would have liked
    * No "back" button
    * lack of control over how long the display and keypad are illuminated

Please no flames!! What is important to me in a Phone/PDA may not be important to you.

Handspring came very, very close this time to hitting the mark with the T600. I believe they will succeed with the next incarnation. Without a doubt, I'll be waiting for it with a great deal of anticipation...

Sprinttreo
    So what's your alternative choice?
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Sorry to hear that man. I too have found a few aspects of the T600 which I don't particularly care for but the pros far outweigh the cons in my opinion. My T600 is here to stay!
    So that's fine and all that you're returning it - whatever - but why do you feel the need to tell the world about it? Do you want people to talk you out of it or are you just informing us that you're not content with it?

What are you going to get instead?
    Yeah, the alternative choice would be interesting to know. Obviously there's nothing you can do with poor reception where you live (except get the GSM version when it comes out) and wait for the price to go down to where you feel comfortable.

I would think the other things you listed would be smaller potatoes when there really is no other player in a standard OS smart phone with a keyboard.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I agree with you. Return any phone that you don't get good service/signal with. I don't care if its the best pda/mp3/camera in the world. Bottom line, fone first.
    I would suggest with any Sprint phone that gives disappointing reception that you take the phone in for an HP (reception) test at your local Sprint Store. It could be that the phone is defective, in which case they will replace it on-the-spot.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    ChristopherPrice.net
    Poor signal is generally not the phone's fault, it is the carrier. I would also be curious if Sprintreo switched from another carrier to get the T600. I have found the phone part of the T600 to be much better than my T300 and generally as good or better than every other sprint phone I have ever used.
    Carl
    [i]
    They include:

* The screen resolution and 11.5 bit color
    * Lack of a strong vibration alert (a must for me)
    * No voice dialing out of the box
    * No voice recording out of the box
    * Poor Camera picture quality in low light/indoors
    * Less than desirable battery life
    * Slightly heavier than I would have liked
    * No "back" button
    * lack of control over how long the display and keypad are illuminated

[/B]
    SprintTreo. I just wanted to respond to these and it is not ment to flame you.

* The screen resolution has been know for a long time. While not being as pretty as 320x320 Tungsten screen, it was put into this phone due to size and power constraints.

* The vibration is pretty weak.

* Never claimed voice dialing capability. You can do this with Sprint service though. I found that with my past phones with this feature it was easier to just set up a speed dial than have to tell the phone two to three times who I wanted to call due to background noise.

* The device should have had voice recording. Hopefully this will be addressed by the developers.

* Don't expect to buy a camera phone and take good pictures. My Sanyo 5300 took horrible pictures in low light too, even with its lousy flash. The pictures in normal lighting seem to be better than my Sanyo 5300's though so I can't complain. I didn't buy the Sanyo for the camera though, and it wasn't part of the Treo desicion either. I think it will be quite some time before you see a camera phone that takes great pictures.

* What type of battery life have you been experiencing and with what type of usage? I know that I can go a couple to three days under normal usage, and I can use 50% of the battery if I am browsing the Internet for 3 hours. I had to use the extended battery with my Sanyo and still could only get about three days max between charges.

* I can see where you could consider it too heavy by current phone standards. I think that as a converged device it is a good weight. You gotta remember that there is a lot of stuff shoved into that phone that isn't on a lot of phones (like SD slot, PDA processor, more memory, bigger screen, 1900 mAH battery).

* There is a back button function in Blazer by using the backspace key. As for a back button in the phone menus itself, this is not part of the palm OS. The Home key beside the space button, and the phone key will both get you right out to the Application screen or the Phone screen respectivly. Most phones need a back button because they have a menu structure that is 3 to 5 levels deep. The palm really only goes one level so these buttons I have mentioned are essentially a "back" button compared to a traditional phone.

* I haven't messed with the display setting at all yet. They seem pretty good to me out of the box but this is subjective. I will be interested to see how it works with a hands-free kit.

I have a couple of complaints of my own and they include:

- Added MIDI ringers are too soft. The standard ones are much louder and I can't figure out why.

- Rattle from power key at top. They should have put some rubber on the button or something to deaden that.

- No e-mail program even though all of the Sprint info released led you to believe it would have it and the emulator had a nice e-mail client.

- Should have shipped with a cradle.

Overall as a Smartphone though, I don't think the Treo currently has any real competition. Competition is supposedly coming, but after using the thumboard, it is a must for me on any future smartphone for me at least. Some of the MS smartphones that are coming out may better suit your needs as they are more phone than PDA and use traditional phone buttons/input.
    Sorry you're not happy with the Treo -- I'm keeping mine. But I did want to follow up on one issue you raised: battery life. My unit's battery seems to be discharging at the rate of about 2 percent per hour with no calls and extremely minimal data usage (under 5 minutes). Is anyone else having this problem? At this rate, there is no way it's going to last anywhere close to the estimated drain times. Is this the "turbo drain" issue that I've seen mentioned on the T300 forums? Is there any fix for it?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by Sprinttreo
    Please no flames!!
    Pfft -- stuff that, you traitor! If we see you in the street, it'll be knives out, boy!!