Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Well, mine is unlocked not branded.
    I guess, they don't have enough available, so they
    - can deliver enough to the carriers
    - skim the ones who are willing to pay a lot first

The TREO 600 works great on the T-Mobile network in Germany. It connects to the network very quickly and GPRS seems to be much faster than GPRS on my old TREO 180. Maybe it is because the TREO is a QUAD band.

All I can say is that surfing is much better with the TREO 600 and the carriers are stupid not to carry it. They always say their strategy is to increase data volume and the very best device to do that is the TREO 600.

Most of the large carriers used to be state monopolies, so they seem to be a bit slow in grasping great opportunities.

All in all: The TREO 600 will be available sooner or later everywhere and it is worth almost any price.
    Justdoitalex -- Congratulations! I ordered mine yesterday (10/21) also from Treostore for delivery to Germany. The order status screen says "Item not available". What was your status after ordering? Did they email you a tracking number?

Thanks!
  3.    #23  
    My order status never changed, it was always "item unavailable". However, after a few days they mailed me a tracking number and eventually the tracking information said "shipped to Munich".

I guess for the price they charge, what you get is fast delivery.
    Despite any excuses/delays from Handspring to release Unlocked GSM/GPRS units of Treo 600 I strongly believe that current policy is a joke.

I am not talking about carrier based distribution (say AT&T or any other ) where delays can be due to many reasons. Lets see the facts:

- Handspring have GSM/GPRS unlocked units and they are already delivering them to people from TreoStore in Europe, as people here is reporting.

- They are delaying delivery to others (Ingram) even in the States, last news says 11/3 but taking into account that that ETA date has been shifted several times there is no security about this date.

- The stock shortage as an excuse to start distribution through TreoStore only seems pretty difficult to believe for a product that has been announced so much time in advance and with the production capacities of 2003 ( remember, we are in XXI century and in a globalized world era).

It seems they have and all they are doing is selling them at a ridiculous price of 899 EUR (almost 1000$) and intentionally delaying the distribution through other retailers that are willing to sell it in the States and other parts of the world (even with European delivery for a more reasonable 560$ -i.e. ShopBL).

Basically Handspring/TreoStore is charging a ridiculous price using his privileged position as manufacturer of the product, which is ethically very difficult to defend.

I personally will wait until I can get it through any Ingram retailer for a reasonable price (which is 400$ cheaper than TreoStore), and I would reccomend strlongly to anybody to boicott TreoStore while they sell at that ridiculous price.
    Originally posted by JDave
    You can buy them in Singapore starting yesterday and in KL starting today, by Monday there are supposed to be a supply of them in Jakarta.

US$700 in Singapore
    US$800 or so in Malaysia and Indonesia

I don't think the bad guy in the USA is Sprint, but the GSM carriers. My guess is that Handspring made a deal that they wouldn't sell the unlocked GSM phones in the USA until the carriers had a one or two week window to sell the phones "with plans" to try and lock in their customers. When the carriers, for whaterver reason, delayed, handspring was contractually required to delay the sale of the unlocked phones in the USA.

Just my guess.
    JDave

Where to get this treo in Singapore or Jakarta?, Can u give the contact number
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I for one am disappointed that HS failed to get unlocked Treo 600s into the hands of Treo 270 owners in the US FIRST! I mean, we are the sellers of this device right?

The carrier policies in the US are abyssmal, you'd think we are working for them, rather than the othe way 'round.

As to pricing, there is something guys on the other side of the pond forget... you all have huge, punitive import taxes on US products! So, $1000 Treo probably costs closer to $600 plus the tax. Malaysia, Singhapore, Japan, Australia, all put high taxes on American products to keep their own products competitive. And a Treo is definitely seen as a luxury item in the eyes of most governments... a good way to get some tqx revenue! Meanwhile, I have to make do with my trusty Treo 270 and hope the GSM version comes out soon!
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    so now that we know the gsm version is available, is there an email client on it? and if so, can it be backed up and installed on a sprint version? let me know as i'm very interested! thanks!
    Originally posted by tsphan

JDave

Where to get this treo in Singapore or Jakarta?, Can u give the contact number
    Please take a look at this thread for links:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t39128/s.html

If you sign a 2 year contract, you can get it for S$1088.
    Bottom Line IMHO:

Carriers: "Jump Handspring, Jump!"
    HS: "Yes master! How high?"

I guess Handspring has decided that in order to play with the big boys (carriers) they have to "get dirty" as the politians say...

I think it's appalling that with all of this hocus pocus going on that HS should come clean and just tell the truth...they have a loyal user base which they are screwing over in favor of the promise of the MASS MARKET that the carriers are dangling in front of them.

I used to have respect for HS for being innovative and even "Apple-like"...now I see them as just another sleazy big company with questionable ethics. Too bad, cause they were so respectful of the user when designing this elegant product.
    http://shop.brando.com.hk/

Try asking Brando from HK to put it on his lists - he was found to be very reliable and I assume the HK price will be one of the lowest.

Euro prices are extreemly high, so if not Brando, try finding friends who travel to Asia (Mainly HK & Singapore)
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Tdot,

I agree. We all know that the Treo 600 is not a mass market device. The price tag will keep the masses away. We are the niche market for this. Ask around, most persons here would say I don't need it and just go with a standard issue tmo, cingular phone. I see a ripple vs. a splash that will make this device acceptable for all users.

Contracts with carriers have probably already been signed, and we may never know the exact plan...As loyal users of a product since the 1st Visor, it woud just be nice to know what the deal is so we can all plan accordingly. To many, this device has become a part of our daily routine..and we have been loyal and waiting for a long time for the 600.

PS. Converting to sprint to get this device has crossed my mind more than once, but I plan to stay with Tmo as I remain loyal to them... until THEY do something that gives me good reason to look elsewhere.
    It is C Palm in ratu plaza. you can check the handspring.com website and chekc the internaitonal locations.
    I know it's been said before, but remember: the Carriers have ALL the power. The are the only channel for these devices. They dictate to the manufacturers most of the time. They set release dates, features and support. HS cannot release unlocked GSM phones in the US without pissing off 3 of the top 5 carriers in the US. Just like they don't offer unlocked GSM phones where Orange does business. The channel wins here. Cingular is the biggest (or second biggest) carrier in the US. If they were ready to give you this device right now, you would have it. They have way more power than Sprint and we already know that the phone works on GSM networks.

HS cannot sell unlocked GSM devices until their largest sales channels get their shot first.
    hey guys,

check this handspring site out. Its says its been officially launced in singapore n malaysia on the 21st and 22nd oct officially (treo gsm unlocked). I went to my regular supplier and he showed me the confirmed delivery in jakarta on this friday at 2 pm i am supposed to collect it!!! Will let you know all bout it oce it comes. ITS HERE GUYS.....ATLAST!
    hey guys,

check this handspring site out. Its says its been officially launced in singapore n malaysia on the 21st and 22nd oct officially (treo gsm unlocked). I went to my regular supplier and he showed me the confirmed delivery in jakarta on this friday at 2 pm i am supposed to collect it!!! Will let you know all bout it oce it comes. ITS HERE GUYS.....ATLAST!

heres the site to reconfirm

http://www.c2ocorp.com/treo600/
    Originally posted by tDot
    Bottom Line IMHO:

Carriers: "Jump Handspring, Jump!"
    HS: "Yes master! How high?"

It is sad that HS has managed to generate such ill-will in introducing its last product. Those of us who pay a premium for arbitrarily late delivery are not likely to forgive and forget.
    Ratu Plaza is in Jakarta on Jalan Sudirman. CPalm said they would have supplies "maybe"on Monday or maybe one week later. Price will be Rp. 6.5 million. ($775). Not too bad, considering that a lot of other phones are priced aobut the same.

I am hoping to get mine soon.

I see that the Sprint deal from handspring expires in a fwe days. I supposed that means that Handspring will start selling the GSM phones now.
    Originally posted by whmurray

It is sad that HS has managed to generate such ill-will in introducing its last product. Those of us who pay a premium for arbitrarily late delivery are not likely to forgive and forget.
    I think this view represents a view of HS as a simple company providing a hardware product. The Treo is not an organizer and it is far more complicated to launch it than to just promise a date when they know they could deliver it to the stores. It is clear that the carriers rule and they hold the key to most of the revenue. The relationships with the carriers are very dynamic and very demanding. Selling unlocked phones is a big problem for carriers and I'm positive they don't want it to happen before they could sell the phones and keep their customers.

In the final analysis, a few weeks' change in the date such an complex product is actually available to be sold on carrier's networks will amount to almost nothing and will be forgotten.

That said, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was going nuts when the shipment of my Sprint 600 seemed to be delayed from HS. We are crazy for this stuff but, like it or not, we are the fringe.
    Originally posted by silverado

In the final analysis, a few weeks' change in the date such an complex product is actually available to be sold on carrier's networks will amount to almost nothing and will be forgotten.
    Perhaps. Please note that I do not plan to buy on "carrier's networks" in any case. I do not accept that those of us who plan to buy unbranded phones in the US should wait behind those who buy branded phones or those who buy them in Europe or Asia.

HS has favored one nation over another. They have favored one channel over another. They have favored one carrier over another. They have favored one customer over another. And yes, they have favored you over me. No surprise that you are happier about that than I am but even you should acknowledge that it is not good for their reputation.

Whatever pressures and constraints there are on HS, they have treated their most loyal customers shabbily. We are those who have done business with them in the past and want to do business with them now. We are not those whining over price but those who are willing to pay a premium. Not only will they not even accept our orders, they will not even acknowledge us. They will not tell us when they might do business with us. They invite us to submit our e-mail addresses so that they can keep us up to date, and then do not use them. We have no choice but to sit around asking what is wrong with our patronage.

They have behaved this way while hiding behind artful language. Surely those who are so artful could have served their own interests while still being more candid, forthcoming, and respectful of loyal customers.

The company will soon disappear, the brand may or may not survive, but I can assure you the bad taste in my mouth will not go away.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast