Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by bcaslis
    FYI, I just called Handspring also and the only info I could get was a "few weeks". Nothing more or less. I'm hopeful that it will appear by early November, but I'm beginning to suspect late November. If the availability was in less than two weeks you would think they would communicate more.
    I just got off the phone with a HS CSR who is probably one of the least intelligent adults I've encountered in a while.

It was a root canal convo, but I finally got him to acknowledge the following:

1. It is clear that there is NO hardware or software problem, as evidenced by the fact that they are selling GSM phones in many different places outside of the US.

2. He is still speaking from an old script when he says that it will be available here in the US "within a couple of weeks" - he acknowledged that he has been saying that for "a couple of weeks".

3. While he said that there has been no slippage of the release date, he did say that the availability from HS is dependent upon T-Mo and Cingular because "selling you a phone that isn't certified for their network gets you nothing other than a palm organizer". He said that they have not been greenlighted from T-Mo and Cingular yet, and that is what they are waiting for.

4. He acknowledged that NOTHING - other than business arrangements with T-Mo and Cingular - interferes with HS selling the same, unlocked, non-carrier specific phones being sold overseas which would then accept a T-Mo or Cingular SIM and operate flawlessly. But that won't happen because they are committed to launching the GSM in the US in a coordinated fashion with direct carrier support. So if the carriers slow down, we all slow down. In other words - not our fault, guy.

5. That said, he acknowledged that the time frame for the carrier specific GSMs and the unlocked GSMs may appear that they are converging (i.e., shortly and by the end of the month are becoming more and more of a problem as the days march on). But they won't converge - the unlocked GSM release date will likely be pushed back.

The bottom line?

It seems that T-Mo and Cingular, which are not nearly as committed to the wireless data market as is Sprint, didn't seem to give a scrap about this phone and the avid interest of early adopters and HS has allowed us to be captive to their indifference.
    As mentioned on another thread, the TREO 600 is important to TreoCentral readers and to Handspring but is not important to Tmobile or Cingular - to them it is simply another expensive phone that they plan to offer that they know will sell much fewer than their cheaper phones, thus bring in considerably less money than their cheaper phones - they have no need to either rush nor spend extra money to rush to get it to the market.

(Handspring mentioned that "flat data rates" hurt TREO sales since a carrier can make more money selling a lot of cheap smartphones compared to selling one TREO - last I checked there were NUMEROUS cheap smartphones on TMobile's web site)
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    As mentioned on another thread, the TREO 600 is important to TreoCentral readers and to Handspring but is not important to Tmobile or Cingular - to them it is simply another expensive phone that they plan to offer that they know will sell much fewer than their cheaper phones, thus bring in considerably less money than their cheaper phones - they have no need to either rush nor spend extra money to rush to get it to the market.

(Handspring mentioned that "flat data rates" hurt TREO sales since a carrier can make more money selling a lot of cheap smartphones compared to selling one TREO - last I checked there were NUMEROUS cheap smartphones on TMobile's web site)
    Help me here, why then is HS so commited to a coordinated launch with T-Mobile and Cingular? Would they not do better if they sold GSM unlocked units directly?
    There are numerous potential answers to the question "Why isn't a GSM TREO 600 here yet?".

For example (and NOT all-inclusive):

(1) The warehouse burned down when someone turned on a TREO and it exploded.

(2) Someone accidently put CDMA modules into all the GSM TREOs and all the TMobile testers got brain cancer due to the lack of "The Bump", causing TMobile to reject them and Handspring to recall them.

(3) There were only 15,000 GSM TREO 600s made and Orange got them all.

(4) TMobile changed their minds.

etc etc etc.

Who knows?

I don't subscribe to the "Carrier conspiracy" theory - I think it's simply financially-based - Handspring can't make a whole lot (probably on a cash basis now, IMHO), maybe something is buggy, maybe one of the TMobile testers' TREO melted, anything at all.

I do NOT think, however, that there is a GSM delay due to Spirnt.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12