Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Here's a related question: Is there a way to do the analog of the Delete key on a PC - to put the cursor in front of a word and then begin deleting the letters in front of it, rather than starting at the end of a word and backspacing?
    I missed the point above so I hope I get it right this time.

First off, I am evaluating the GoodLink software right now on a Treo 600 Sprint. It supports text selection in the way that you all desire without a stylus. I presume they ported the code across from their older G1000 which has no touch screen. Overall I have to say that the GoodLink slution is the nearest thing I have ever seen on PalmOS to the RIM experience. It is amazingly fast - mail arrives in Outlook and less than 10 secs later its on your handheld.

Regarding shortcuts, these are an anachronism now and not very well supported. That said, here is how to use them...

Type an S in any field. Then press the Alt key. Choose the shortcut symbol from the drop list - ut's the last item. Now type ds or dts.
    Originally posted by mabmarc
    I checked the manual and did a search on this site for this but couldn't find it. Anyway, how do you use the shortcuts under preferences on the Treo 600? Am I missing something? I would like to use DS to get the date stamp.

Kevin, maybe you know the answer to this question?

Thanks,
    Marc
    Here it is...

type s
    press alt key
    choose l (the graffitti lowercase L, which should be the last one)
    type your shortcut

Hope that helps.

-chiru
    Originally posted by mwomwom
    I missed the point above so I hope I get it right this time.

First off, I am evaluating the GoodLink software right now on a Treo 600 Sprint. It supports text selection in the way that you all desire without a stylus. I presume they ported the code across from their older G1000 which has no touch screen. Overall I have to say that the GoodLink slution is the nearest thing I have ever seen on PalmOS to the RIM experience. It is amazingly fast - mail arrives in Outlook and less than 10 secs later its on your handheld.
    mwomwom,
    I assume that you are testing GoodLink as the network based, server solution? There's still not a personal version, right?
    If you hit the ZERO (0) key right after most characters you will get a drop down of alternate characters you can use. To get the shortcut character (the one that looks like an Aids ribbon) hit S-0, then choose the shortcut character off the list with the 5-way, then hit either the center of the 5-way or the space bar.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Thanks for the answer. I am not sure if it is a useful feature anymore. I have to hit 8 keystrokes to get the date stamp to work. I can type the date with less strokes (especially in early Jan - 1/1/03)

Thanks,
    Marc
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $GoodLink$ $is$ $only$ $a$ $server$ $based$ $solution$. $They$ $do$ $not$ $have$ $a$ $desktop$ $reidirector$.
    I am waiting for Goodlink to have Pocket PC compatability before I can sell its use to our office. We have all types of users in my office, pc/palm/and blackberry. The Goodlink looks like it will be great when they support all three.
    GO MARLINS!!!!
    Originally posted by Morbius
    Couple this with there being no good keyboard method of using command-stroke shortcuts (like the stroke-C)
    Try <menu> followed by your shortcut letter....i.e. <menu>-C for copy, <menu>-P for paste, etc. Works for me....
    I just got my Treo 600 yesterday.

I love it!!!

Except today, I tried to take some quick notes during a class. Getting used to the keyboard vs. Graffiti wasn't too bad... after a bit I almost didn't have to look at the keyboard for half of my typing. However, I was seriously dissappointed when I had to bust out my stylus to highlight a series of words.

In my opinion, a serious design flaw.

How simple would it to use highlight text by:

1.) Using the 5-way to position the curser.
    2.) Holding the 'option' key and moving left/right on the 5-way highlights text letter by letter.
    3.) HOlding the 'option' + 'a' + left/right on the 5-way highlights text word by word.

How nice would that be????

I don't understand how it can be that hard to program. I had a HS Visor Edge with a keyboard; and that would recognize all my ususal Windows keyboard shortcuts.

This issue should be addressed... it's dampening my enthusiam!
    I currently use the Clie TG50 and have been holding off an a smartphone. The inability to select text from the keyboard is a showstopper for me because I constantly use my PDA for journalling and note-taking at meetings. I've become proficient enough with a thumbboard (about 30 wpm consistently) to no longer require a stylus.

I cannot imagine it is difficult to write a program that could provide this basic functionality, much like Keyquick does for the Clie. Once someone writes this, I just may make the switch. (Then I could impatiently wait for hi-res!)

I'm surprised at this oversight. For someone who doesn't do a lot of text entry, it may not be a big deal. But the keyboard is a major draw! And to those like me who use text entry constantly, this is a MAJOR oversight!
    I love my Treo. However, as pointed out by others, text entry and editing (e.g. in emails) is primitive at best, relative to that of the RIM BlackBerry devices. Anyone who hasn't ever tried the latter should just borrow a friend's to understand why RIM was singlehandedly able to convert thousands of corporate workers to the joys of constant email access. The thumb-roller thingamajig on BlackBerrys allows one to fly through emails, insert words, select words etc etc.

Sigh. It's really sad that the Treo 600 came so close to being a perfect corporate device.

Frankly, even the Tungsten W was a leg up for text entry - at least there is a "symbol" button to calls up a screen with all the symbols - instead of having to remember which letter key calls up a particular symbol (absolutely ridiculous). Not to mention the dedicated "curly-Q" or "shortcut" key, which made calling up "shortcut text" (like my signature etc) a breeze.

Let's all hope that the next version gets these in.

CM

And while I'm at it, hopefully they'll think to add a way to substitute alternative applications for the inbuilt datebook, address book, calendar etc - similar to the "Default" program Preference window. Many of us use alternatives, and would love the Phone app to be able to refer to these other databases to recognize incoming calls etc.

Great device otherwise IMHO.
    BUMP
    All noobs click here
    TreoSelecText can do this. Search the Treo600 forum for this in the subject line.
    I was chillin today in the van and became distracted, looked down and gone - could not find my stylus! -LOL

Ah, anyway -- when is that software gonna be ready again?
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 01/21/2004 at 06:55 PM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Went to Handago and you can download it there. The link keeps going back to the Google search I did to find it.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Originally posted by Burkhardi
    TreoSelecText can do this. Search the Treo600 forum for this in the subject line.
    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...=treoselectext

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...7&prodID=53530
    for anyone in this thread who doesn't know...treoselectext became a reality just recently through the combined efforts of many people here on this board. it was started and spearheaded by elysian9 but what i think is really great is that people worked together to make it happen.

so yeah now you can select text without the stylus. one problem remains though. you need to be in software which has been optimized already for the treo...ie, it works with our 5-way navigation control.

the next battle is to try to get as many major software titles out there to be treo-optimized for the 5-way nav.

a really good place to sart would be by emailing here:

DTu@dataviz.com

this the email address is to get documents to go optimized for the treo. docs to go is probably the best word processing and spreadsheet program out there now for palm os...if only because it lets you open native files of microsoft word documents and excel files. this means there is no convesrion and no lost formatting if you email email a word dco to yout treo and then open it and make corrections on the treo.

anyway...please email this guy and ask him to make dosc to go , treo optimized now. we need to do this for several major titles. let's start with docs to go. if everyone in this thread sends an email that will be a start.

anybody see the movie pay it forward? nice concept. somebody helps you...and then you help three other people. let's modify that. let's all send three emails and then ask 3 other friends to do the same who in turn will ask three more friends. wow. in no time we will have this title done. then we can target another title. agendus anyone? there are a lot of good titles we can focus on later.
    Last edited by southbound747; 01/21/2004 at 08:11 PM.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    I think southbound's coments and ideas ought to be taken seriously. When a community of like-minded people pull together and push for anything to improve their lot, stuff really happens. Email Danny Tu. In fact he welcomes more comments from Treo 600 users. We've got an ear at DataViz, so don't ignore the opportunity. (2 weeks ago we didn't have a way to select and highlight text. Today we do. And that's because of one thread at TC and a whole bunch of terrific people who pulled together.
    Use your fingernails...... (with screen cover off course)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast