1.    #1  
    So we have figured out that some powered devices pluged into the treo600 Headphone Jack don't work, unless you play with them and only plug them in half way... So it has something to do with the Ohm resistance or somthing of the thing being pluged in. Has anyone figured out how to get around this, other then to pull the jack half way out and fiddle with it!?!
    I would like to be able to plug in Powered speakers or ANY car adapter or anything else that should have audio output!

I have a SoundBug that I just got to screw around with and I was very disapointed when it would not work when it was pluged into the treo600... I found that I could get it working if I only pluged it in half way but that is not a workable alternative!

Mobile_Bob
    The same problem exists for the Bose noise cancelling headphones. It only works on the low setting.
    My sony noise cancelling ear-plug like headphones don't work at all in the 600. That's with the noise cancell on, off, or with the battery removed.

We need a hack for this bigtime.
    Quote Originally Posted by noreault
    The same problem exists for the Bose noise cancelling headphones. It only works on the low setting.
    OK - it's almost a year later. I'm bringing this thread back up to see if anyone has figured out anything here? One fix suggested has been to turn noisecanceling off or to low. Are there any other fixes?
    Just add some resistance to the line. An easy way to do this is with an inline volume control from Radio Shack. Turn it to 3/4 and everything should work.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Hi ThirdType.

I've seen this suggestion before, but as we all know RS has tons of items and not everyone at a store knows what we're looking for.

Is there a part number for the Inline volume control?

Thanks!

PS: I use the Bose Phase 2 Noise Canceling which work great, except for the fact they have to be on "low" to work with the Treo600.
    Last edited by 7zero; 09/29/2004 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Mispelled name of original poster by mistake.
    I may go to RS tonight and see if I can find and test, if it works, I will report back tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Okay, I went to RS's Website and found the following (taken from their Website):

Gold-Plated Volume Control Cable for Stereo Headphones

$6.59 Brand: RadioShack
    Catalog #: 42-2559 Model: 42-2559
    Perfect for joggers! Designed for use with lightweight stereo headphones.
    This is a one-foot cord with an in-line attenuating volume control. And the gold plating reduces corrosion, substantially reduces signal loss and insures maximum performance.
    PRODUCT FEATURES:
    • 24K gold-plated connectors
    • 1/8" right-angle stereo phone plug to 1/8" stereo phone jack
    • Length 1 foot
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=42-2559

dhousetx, let me know if you get it to work. I'm out of town today and will pick one up when I return home. If this solves the problem...sweet!

Thanks!
    That's looks like the one. BTW its ThirdType not ThirdEye
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    That's looks like the one. BTW its ThirdType not ThirdEye

Right...sorry about that.
    7zero - you were right on! I bought the RS 42-2559"Volume Control Headphone Extension Cord" and am sending this while listening to great music on my Bose headphones and Treo 600.

The Treo does seem to have a small delay in reacting to the resistance from the volume control. I find it works best when set at about 75% of full volume.

good luck!
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    How is listening to 75% of volume different from the low (or normal) setting? I have noticed by Bose headphones don't work on high. But, except for in-flight, that has not been a problem.

I guess my question is why do I want this volume control?

Thanks!
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Quote Originally Posted by McTreo
    How is listening to 75% of volume different from the low (or normal) setting? I have noticed by Bose headphones don't work on high. But, except for in-flight, that has not been a problem.

I guess my question is why do I want this volume control?

Thanks!
    the Bose Series II headphones don't have a high/low setting. my only option was to get the inline impedance.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    That make sense. Also, to answer my own question, there may be times I want to playback through other powered speaker systems.
    "I Sync, therefore I AM!"

BellSouth became Cingular, left for ATT, who became Cingular, who became ATT. Is that right?
    Visor Pro > Vx > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Tilt!
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhousetx
    7zero - you were right on! I bought the RS 42-2559"Volume Control Headphone Extension Cord" and am sending this while listening to great music on my Bose headphones and Treo 600.

The Treo does seem to have a small delay in reacting to the resistance from the volume control. I find it works best when set at about 75% of full volume.

good luck!

Howdy dhousetx. Actually, credit should go to ThirdType as he actually posted the original idea about the inline volume control.

So, it works with Series 2, but on my Phase 2's there is a "high/low" swtich on the plug that goes into the headphones. Can you verify that this works?

Cheers!
    Did anyone confirm that adding an inline volume control allows the Treo to work with Bose QuietComfort® 2 headphones with noise cancelling turned ON? I'd like to buy a pair of the Bose headphones for airplane travel - seems to work really well with the noise cancelling feature turned on.
    Last edited by Jamie Brown; 11/28/2004 at 02:18 PM.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    Greetings Jamie.

Indeed the inline volume control works great with the Bose QC-2's. I purchased the one listed in a post above this one (Radio Shack $6.59 Brand: RadioShack
    Catalog #: 42-2559 Model: 42-2559).

I've used it on 4 trips since I bought the controler and either on Hi/Lo it works great. With the Treo 600, I can increase the volume in pTunes and then jack it up some more. Well worth the 6.59.

OT: I had a malfunciton with the QC-2's on my last trip (the left ear piece cracked and came apart...in the air no less). Upon return to the Bose store here in Miami, no questions asked they replaced them as I was within the 1-year warranty period...good luck. They're great for planes and playing video games too.
    Thanks 7zero,
    I finally decided on a software solution - "Freedom" from www.toysoft.ca. works great with the Bose QC2s. At $14.95, it's more expensive than the in-line volume control, but I have one less piece of gear. Another idea I haven't tried is the Sedio 2-in-1 adapter. That would combine the in-line volume control (impedance solution) with the jack converter.

Santa gave me a pair of the Bose QC2s - wow! Awesome sound quality - especially on an airplane. After the Bose QC2s, ear buds are a joke for music!

Aloha from Honolulu!