Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I haven't seen this discussed yet, but for the OS X users out there, Mark/Space has a version of Missing Sync that works with the Treo 600. I emailed them last night to see if they'd consider making a version for the Treo 600, only to find out this morning from their sales staff, that they already do! The "PalmOS" version is now compatible with the Treo600.

There doesn't seem to be a demo available, but since I've seen their PocketPC product, and the many Clie users have raved about it for years, I figured I'd just bite.

I'll use it today and post some thoughts on it tonight, in case anyone else is interested in it, but doesn't want to shell out the $30 to try it.

So far, after just the tiny bit of testing I've done, I've been incredibly impressed.

Conrad
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Looks great but please forgive me if I'm missing the point - does it it ACTUALLY do anything that can't be done using the software already included with the Treo ?
    eg transferring files to SD cards etc.
    Originally posted by ravi
    Looks great but please forgive me if I'm missing the point - does it it ACTUALLY do anything that can't be done using the software already included with the Treo ?
    eg transferring files to SD cards etc.
    Transferring files to the SD card via HotSync is extremely slow; transferring files via Missing Sync for Palm OS is as easy as dragging and dropping files to the card (it shows up as a volume on the desktop) and is at least 3 times faster. In addition, with the iTunes plugin, the SD card shows up as a source in iTunes making it simple to transfer songs. Lastly, with the iPhoto plugin, you can easily export photos to the SD card at the right size. Don't forget that it inclues AeroPlayer and the handheld size of SplashPhoto.
    Ravi- click the links in the first message and read the answers to your questions.

SGruby-is Aeroplayer compatible with standard res (160) screen that the Treo600 has? It's not listed according to PalmGear.

Othewise, looks GREAT to me--I'm 'bout ready to bite... and will hold off on that card reader.

Conrad--please let me know if you agree with Grubman's impressions.

Awaitin' your replies...
  5.    #5  
    I've tested Missing Sync on and off today, and I'll put my two cents in here.

All in all, I'm very glad I purchased Missing Sync for PalmOS. I feel like it added real value to the Treo 600 for me.

It provides three major facilities that the standard Palm software does not. I'll briefly describe them below, and what I thought of them.

1) Desktop SD/MMC card mounting. I don't own an SD card reader, and a cheap one is only around $10, but given that Missing Sync is $30, if that's all I needed, maybe a card reader would be a better alternative. However, I tried mounting the card, formatted on the Palm (VFS?) into a PC. The PC could not recognize it. I don't know if the Mac can natively read VFS, but I don't think it can. But Missing Sync handles all this quite nicely. After attaching the Treo to the Mac, I launch the Missing Sync app on the Treo, and a removable drive icon shows up on my desktop. I can now drag and drop music, photos, documents, etc. to and from the card. It warns you that disconnecting the Treo (by which it means, launching another app as well as unplugging the device) can potentially corrupt the SD card's contents. When an alert came in, while I was using the app, it forced a disconnect. Luckily, I found no corrupted data, but this brings up a problem unique to the Treo (and maybe the Tungsten W) that Missing Sync doesn't account for: there are apps on the Treo that can basically override any other app such as SMS and Phone. Such an override could potentially corrupt your card's contents. I'm not sure what can be done about this, and I don't know how serious a problem it will turn out to be, but it's certainly something to keep in mind. The only other problem related to desktop mounting of the expansion card that I found was that I could not unmount the card until I closed iTunes. I'll discuss this more below.

2) Integration into iTunes. When Missing Sync is running, in iTunes a device icon appears in the playlists part of the window. You can easily drag and drop files to and from the device. I was disappointed to find out that this action doesn't result in a re-encoding of the music into a bit rate more appropriate for a handheld. Most of my library is encoded in AAC 128bit. Mark/Space includes a copy of AeroPlayer for PalmOS with Missing Sync, but unfortunately AeroPlayer can't decode AAC. Without automatic re-encoding, this makes it a little difficult for me to take advantage of this particular feature of Missing Sync. Also, AeroPlayer is really designed for 320x320 displays, and as such, it falls into a poor looking 1-bit 160x160 mode when used on the Treo. in the future, I'll try converting some of PablosBrain's PocketTunes skins to AeroPlayer and see if it works any better.

3) Integration into iPhoto. In additions to AeroPlayer, Mark/Space includes a copy of SplashPhoto for image viewing on the Treo. It comes with version 3.62 which doesn't seem to require registrations. If I try to upgrade to 4.05 it then requires registration, so I'm not entirely clear on whether or not Missing Sync includes a fully registered copy of SplashPhoto or just a trial version. The photos taken with the Treo's camera now become significantly more useful to me. Since I can take pictures, then save them straight to the SD Card, and with Missing Sync, I now have access to to them directly. iPhoto imports them flawlessly. Also, Missing Sync lets you export photos into Palm native formats to the SD Card, so that they can be viewed by SplashPhoto or another image viewer on the Treo.

So, really, my final analysis comes down to this: for $30 I get access to the expansion card (equal or better than buying a $10 reader), a copy of AeroPlayer ($10), and copy of SplashPhoto ($10-$30), and all with excellent OS X integration. There are some potential, and some apparent problems, but nothing that seems to be a show-stopper at this point. So far, I'm really pleased with Missing Sync.

Conrad

P.S. I'd also like to note that I've contacted Mark/Space support a few times, and they've always responded promptly, and have always given me accurate and appropriate answers to my questions.
    Conrad,

I'd like to comment on a few of your points.

1) AeroPlayer can't play AAC music; this is an issue for AeroPlayer as a license to decode AAC music costs a fortune. I don't believe any player on the Palm plays AAC music. There are legal issues involved with converting the AAC music to a different format.

2) SplashPhoto - the included viewer on the handheld is a fully licensed copy of SplashPhoto 3.6. There is a coupon included to purchase the desktop component for a significant discount.

3) If you contact AeroDrome software and mention the 160x160 display, I'd bet that they already have a decent skin for it.

Personally I find Missing Sync extremely valuable. However, I'm a bit biased as I'm a developer for Mark/Space.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I would look this up myself bur I'm on the road with my 300 (anxiously awaiting my 600 : ) yeah!) -- will Missing Sync work on OS9? Please no admonishments about the OS! I have OSX and its just way too slow on my machine, but Missing Sync sounds pretty good!
  8.    #8  
    Scott makes some excellent points. Actually, I just wanted to point out that it would have been nice if, when dragging a track in iTunes to Missing Sync, if Missing Sync identified the track as .m4a and re-encoded it to .mp3. I certainly didn't expect Aeroplayer or any other Palm audio player to natively support AAC - he's right, that'd be way too expensive. Such a re-encoding is not only processor intensive, and could make the action of dragging and dropping exceedingly slow, but I'm not even sure that doing so wouldn't violate the AAC licensing terms. I just wanted to mention this limitation that may crop up if you are an avid iTunes user, have a large AAC collection, and want to use iTunes to put music on a Treo.

Thanks to him for clearing up my confusion regarding SplashPhoto, and for pointing me to the AeroPlayer developers - I'll follow up here and let everyone know what skins they have.

I also whole heartedly agree with him that Missing Sync is incredibly useful. I highly recommend it. However, I wanted to outline the criticisms that I had, since folks on this board are quite discerning and don't like being surprised by nuances in an application's expected functionality. I hope my trying to identify what some of those things might be didn't lose my general message of: I dig this app - worth every penny.

Conrad

P.S. neat to know that Scott develops for Mark/Space. I've always been impressed by the applications (and cables actually) M/S has created over the years (though this is my first purchase of their products) and WirelessModem is one of the more impressive apps I've come across in this board. It's neat to see how talented developers seem to congregate.

P.P.S. Thanks Scott!
  9.    #9  
    Nora -
    This version of Missing Sync requires OS X 10.1.5 and above.

Conrad
    I don't own a Treo 600... yet (I'm currently using a 180 with T-Mobile and OS X 10.2.8), but when I read this thread last night at about 1:00am, I zipped over to:

http://www.markspace.com/missingsync.html
    and
    http://www.markspace.com/missingsyncpalmos.html
    and
    http://www.markspace.com/ms_palm_requirements.html
    and also
    http://www.markspace.com/faq/

I read all that I could. I bought it. My first Treo 600 specific piece of software. I'm currently an unemployed designer who probably won't even be able to afford the Treo 600, let alone next months mortgage payment, but I could easily justify the expense of this piece of software. This piece of software will be linking the phone to my computer in 3 important ways that no one else is currently doing.

One thing I would like to point out, that many of you probably realize but didn't mention, is that when you rip songs to the AAC file format using iTunes or QuickTime, there is no DRM concern. You can easily move these files around to different devices for your convenience without the concern of the RIAA pounding on your door. And even re-encode them to a different format (ie: MP3). When you buy songs in the AAC file format from iTMS, they have a watermark (DRM) however. These are the only AAC files that are limited in use to 3 computers and the bevy of iPods you may have... and the virtually unlimited number of burned CDs.

So to summarize you can have 2 kinds of AACs on a Mac or a PC:
    1.) AACs that you ripped from your own CD WITHOUT a watermark
    2.) AACs that you bought from iTunes Music Store WITH a watermark (DRM)

I personally have ripped way more AAC encoded songs than purchased AAC encoded songs so perhaps this file format is something for Aerodrome Software to one day look into, especially if people continue to purchase the Missing Sync like I have.

As I look at it, by linking Aeroplayer to iTunes, they have opened themselves up to the possibility/responsibility of supporting its RIP formats including AAC, VBR, WAV and AIFF along with MP3 and Ogg Vorbis.

Well, OK, this probably won't happen but I will be writing to them with a request to support the growing popularity of the AAC format (WHICH, is the most portable format available) – as soon as I get a few more resumés out.

PS: Once you have the Treo/SD card mounted, can you play songs in iTunes that reside only on that mounted SD card? Does it have the necessary bandwidth for real-time song delivery?
    Still curious about iTunes playing songs directly from Treo.

Anyone try this part yet?
    Originally posted by archie

Almost tried just now, but I tried first to copy songs to iTunes playlist and got the spinning beach ball hangup--then was late and had to get to work.

I'll try tonight for sure--PM me if I forget to respond.
  13.    #13  
    archie - Looks like you can't play the music on the Treo within iTunes. When the "Missing Sync" device is selected, the Play button is greyed out.

Thanks for talking about AAC vs. MP3. I haven't looked into scripts that'll allow you to re-encode AAC as MP3, but I'll see what's out there this weekend.

Also, I received an update from Aerodrome regarding 160x160 skins. They actually said that they don't support that display mode, and expect to by version 3.0. For now, however, I'm able to use AeroPlayer fine, just in a 1-bit mode. I'll see this weekend if I can "hack" a 160x160 skin though. I've got a few ideas of how I might be able to trick the player into accepting a skin in that mode. I'll certainly post my findings to this thread.

one last thing: I'm haveing some issues using the iPhoto export plugin. I'm going to experiment more with that as well this weekend and see if I can file a bug report or identify what I'm doing wrong.

Conrad
    P.S. archie - you'll love yout T600 and Missing Sync.

As far as I know, iTunes itself does not permit this.
  15.    #15  
    Mark/Space updated this product today. The new version adds some very interesting features such as:
    AvantGo syncing and Internet Sharing.
    Check them out here.

I contacted Mark/Space sales and got a response, only half an hour later, at 1:40AM! That's some amazing customer service, if I ever saw one! Anyway, there's some sort of grace period under which they'll just send you the new version for free. They'll be sending out emails to those people soon. You can also just go here and see if they send out the new version to you. That's how I got my copy. I won't be able to test this 2.0 version until Saturday, but I'll post an updated review then.

Conrad
    Last edited by Conrad; 10/24/2003 at 02:45 AM.
    Nice.

I went to the link you posted to request for my registration code to be resent.

I got this:

http://www.markspace.com/custdownloa...g_sync_palmos2

Clicked on it and now I have 2.0.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Conrad
    I won't be able to test this 2.0 version until Saturday, but I'll post an updated review then.

Conrad
    The only difference between 1.0.2 and 2.0 is the Internet Sharing feature which lets you share your Internet connection via your Mac so that you can download mail, sync AvantGo, etc. without going over the air. It works well on the Treo 600 (however Blazer insists on turning on the radio even though you aren't connecting to the web over the wireless network).
    Originally posted by sgruby

The only difference between 1.0.2 and 2.0 is the Internet Sharing feature which lets you share your Internet connection via your Mac so that you can download mail, sync AvantGo, etc. without going over the air. It works well on the Treo 600 (however Blazer insists on turning on the radio even though you aren't connecting to the web over the wireless network).
    This feature is nice:

Desktop Mounting on Mac OS X
    Transfer files 3 to 40 times faster than a HotSync operation! Copy native Word and Excel files to an expansion card and open them with Documents To Go 6 from DataViz."

... is this done by toggling between the 2 different modes; "Internet Sharing" mode and "Hot Sync" mode?

Sounds like you may be taking full advantage of USB's bandwidth.

Originally posted by sgruby

As far as I know, iTunes itself does not permit this.
    Ahhh... I see that what Mark/Space is referring to when saying "treat your Palm as a source in iTunes" is that the Palm will show up in the "Source" window within iTunes. You can then copy individual songs or playlist songs to the Palm/SD card/MMC card.

This feature is nice:

Desktop Mounting on Mac OS X
    Transfer files 3 to 40 times faster than a HotSync operation! Copy native Word and Excel files to an expansion card and open them with Documents To Go 6 from DataViz."

... is this done by toggling between the 2 different modes; "Internet Sharing" mode and "Hot Sync" mode?

No. Transferring files is done by mounting the SD/MMC card on the desktop. Switching between Internet Sharing and HotSync only changes whether you share your Mac's Internet connection for things like AvantGo, web browsing and email.

If you try to install a file such as an MP3 by dragging it onto HotSync Manager to install using HotSync Manager, it will take a long time to install; if you install an MP3 using the card mounted on the desktop, you'll see a huge speed increase.
    I have a problem with my mac reading the SD cards. I have a DAZZLE 8 in 1 Hi Speed card reader, but I get strange stuff happening when I insert the card (I have a PB G4 800MHz running OS 10.2.8), I sometimes see non-existent folders with cryptic names when I open the card on my Mac, which disappear when I click on them. If I transfer pictures from the T600 to the card, then copy them to my Mac, I can't open them with Preview, and if I use Photoshop, they are always half jumbled. Sometimes the card can't be read on the Mac at all, sometimes the T600 can't see it, just all kinds of odd behavior. I have lost data completely too.

I just bought another card thinking maybe it was the card (both are SanDisk 256Mb), but have the same results with both. Could it be the card reader? I think Missing Sync sounds great, but I don't care about direct access from iTunes or iPhoto, and I hate to have to fork out ANOTHER $30 to make this thing work, since I've spent so much already. Does anyone else have problems reading cards on Mac or is it just me?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast