Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    GSM Version of Treo600 is released / launched today with a price of SG$1,288.00 Retail Price, which converts into US$750.00

pretty steep for the price huh

anybody knows where i can buy an unlocked GSM version online from California, US? :-(

cheers,

Michael
    I'll take 3!
    Well, at least it's released, here in Hong Kong, still no sign......
    In Europe we pay much more (> $ 1000). I agree, it is still to much considering the 399 $ offer from Sprint.
    Let's hope for some special offers outside the US.
    when you take the different standards of living in these countries (especially the salaries that the people are getting) into consideration....

you'll see how a moron this distributor has priced this little beauty!!! it's killing this device in Singapore....
    > ...you'll see how a moron this distributor has priced
    > this little beauty!!! it's killing this device in Singapore...

Actually, that isn't true!

The CEO of Handspring mentioned during a Mission (Im)possible interview (very briefly and almost in passing) that the TREO 600 remains an "early adopter" device.

That is, geeks like TreoCentral readers are the ones that will be buying the device "in quantity" with rank-n-file Joe Blow Citizen being down in the noise level of customers.

In prior earnings conference calls the CEO/CFO noted that the Holiday Season is NOT a factor for TREO sales due to its price point.

In other words, pricing the TREO 600 high simply makes more money for the seller without significantly impacting sales (for you ECON 101 fans, the supply/demand/price curve flattens out at least a little bit before declining).
    Since the product is soooo much better than the competition, and is probably a small production run compared to the big players, I think the price is right. For business users, the productivity gains should easily offset the extra cost.

Of course I'm saying that because we can get it cheap here in UK, France and Switzerland, so long as you don't mind being tied to the Orange network.

Sympathies to the rest of you, but I think I paid 400 for the Treo 180 and 550 for the Treo 270 as I had to get them the day of release. I think those prices dropped quite a bit with time, though Treo Store still wants 300 for the 270! The 180 European version is only 100 at dabs.com.

If you can't afford a Treo 600 you will just have to work harder / more effectively or just wait.
  8. AJB
    Waiting anxiously for pricing information down under. While an unlocked GSM should come in at under AU$1000, I'm guessing it will be much more.
    Q: How do you make God laugh?
    A: Tell Him your plans :-)
    hey, i really want to get the uit from spore, where can i get it from???aprreciate your help!
    You can find the list of stores in SG and KL here.

http://www.c2ocorp.com/treo600/where.htm

Here is the link of an on-line retailer in SG.

http://www.ilovebestbuy.com/modules....temview&IID=71

Once you get it, care to show it to me? I work in the JSX Bldg. near Ratu Plaza.

I think the price is rather expensive.
    I thought you said you ordered one yesterday at Ratu Plaza!

I talked to the shop I buy from in Ratu Plaza today and they said they don't want to bring it in since it would cost Rp. 7 juta (US$833 or so) and they didn't think people would want it. Since other phones go for around 6.5 juta, I don't see why it would be a problem.

The big issue for me is that the shop I buy from is the authorized dealer, and they do the servicing of the phones. If they are not going to sell them yet, even if I buy one from Singapore, where will I get it fixed?

They do expect the price to drop in one or two weeks. If they will support it here, i will probably go ahead and get one here anyway and pay to be an early adopter.
    IMO
    What C2O is trying to do is basically robbing all those early adaptors to cover some of its marketing expenses....

I always thought time is $$$! why couldn't they just roll it out with a decent price like the TT3 in Singapore. And get a big chunk of the market share while it's still freaking hot before things start calming down?!? other new devices are still coming out everyday...

Doesn't mean that the CEO of Handspring mentioned it's more for early adaptors so C2O has to price it at US$200 above the price in the US!

Geeks are always prepared to pay extra for their toys..... but definately not to that extend! (feeling of paying extra is COOL... but not the feeling of getting riped off)

if Palm Singapore prices its products US$200 more than what they are selling in the US, they would be at 1/10 of what they are now in Singapore!
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    if you guys wanna order one from Singapore, you may want to check with this store,

Parisilk
    Tel: +65 6466 6002 (5 lines)

Contact w/ Kevin / Michael

cheers,

Michael (sorry just to make sure that it's not the same michael, it just happen to be the same name, I'm just a regular customer)
    Last edited by msantoso; 10/22/2003 at 09:59 AM.
  14. AJB
    Originally posted by msantoso
    if you guys wanna order one from Singapore, you may want to check with this store,

Parisilk
    Tel: +65 6466 6002 (5 lines)
    What price are they asking for an unlocked GSM Treo 600?

AJB
    Q: How do you make God laugh?
    A: Tell Him your plans :-)
    Originally posted by AJB

What price are they asking for an unlocked GSM Treo 600?

AJB
    check this out http://www.spug.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=47577

fyi, all phones sold in Singapore are unlocked
    Originally posted by msantoso
    GSM Version of Treo600 is released / launched today with a price of SG$1,288.00 Retail Price, which converts into US$750.00

pretty steep for the price huh

anybody knows where i can buy an unlocked GSM version online from California, US? :-(

cheers,

Michael
    tell me about it...i just paid 1288 sgd to get it in singapore yesterday, pretty hot here, most shops sold out and few pieces left. even at this prices.

sold my treo 270 for 350sgd and got 200 off cos of loyalty points so that's not that bad for me.

it's a superb machine, does everything i want...then again...where's the bluetooth?
    Originally posted by JDave

I talked to the shop I buy from in Ratu Plaza today and they said they don't want to bring it in since it would cost Rp. 7 juta (US$833 or so) and they didn't think people would want it. Since other phones go for around 6.5 juta, I don't see why it would be a problem.
    Really? I called C-Palm Ratu Plaza yesterday (Wednesday, 22 Oct.) and the guy who answered told me that they'll have it available next week. He also said that they'll sell it for Rp. 6,5 juta (USD767) with warranty from Handspring.

He told me the distributor (i can't remember the name) is currently talking with the GSM operators to work out a deal bundling the phone and GPRS.

I guess we'll see next week...
    Originally posted by dregar

Really? I called C-Palm Ratu Plaza yesterday (Wednesday, 22 Oct.) and the guy who answered told me that they'll have it available next week. He also said that they'll sell it for Rp. 6,5 juta (USD767) with warranty from Handspring.

He told me the distributor (i can't remember the name) is currently talking with the GSM operators to work out a deal bundling the phone and GPRS.

I guess we'll see next week...
    where is this ratu plaza? which part of indonesia is it?
    Originally posted by bumberbee

where is this ratu plaza? which part of indonesia is it?
    It's a building in the central business district of Jakarta.
    in Ratu Plaza, but they seem to be the ones who are going to bring it in. I got their number from the International links at Handspring.com.

They did say Rp. 6.5 million, which is not too bad. There weren't too clear on the when side, but the main office in Singapore said that Monday would be the day.

I am ready to buy.

I can't believe anyone is going ot bundle here. I use IM3 and they already offer GPRS, as do a number of other carriers. I have never heard of a service provider here in Jakarta selling phones as part of the deal. The biggest % of the mobile phone users here use pre-paid cards anyway, and the monthly fees on the post paid cards are really low... I think mine is Rp. 60,000 (about US$7.14) a month.