Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hmm... I haven't tried IR Hotsyncing yet, but I did come across the following explanation about resolving IR hotsync problems on the Treo 600 from the Mobile Burn Review. Check it out:

A friend of mine who'd gotten a Treo 600 before we even got ours for review mentioned to me that he'd had problems Hot Synching his Treo 600 under Windows 2000 via Infrared. I wanted to see for myself if this was still an issue, as past PalmOS-based phones ( like the Samsung SPH-I500 ) had suffered from this problem. When I installed the Treo 600 Desktop software on my laptop, I set up the Treo to sync via Infrared. I couldn't sync either. I checked my Infrared adapter's properties, and disabled, then re-enabled, file transfer support. That seemed to do the trick. I was now able to sync via IR. I'm running Windows XP, for those who are curious. On my friend's machine, we got around the problem by uninstalling, and reinstalling the Treo 600 software suite completely. He's now able to sync via IR under Windows 2000. I can't say for certain if this is just an isolated occurrence or not, but it's something every Treo 600 owner should take note of when setting up their unit. Especially if they plan to on Hot Synching via IR.
    Hope that helps...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Woohoo. Just got it working.

Silly me, turns out I didn't have the Hotsync manager configured properly for infared syncing!
    Well, the

"Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application"

error has popped up again. I have to do the ridiculous "put the Treo in front of the IR port before the unnamed Windows app can acquire the IR port!" ritual in order to sync.

So my question is, exactly what program is using the IR port, and how do I disable it? I can't find anything about this in the Windows help, the control panel, or the properties of the system tray icon that appears.
    Originally posted by Im So Unpopular
    Well, the

"Unable to initiate HotSync operation because the port is in use by another application"

error has popped up again. I have to do the ridiculous "put the Treo in front of the IR port before the unnamed Windows app can acquire the IR port!" ritual in order to sync.

So my question is, exactly what program is using the IR port, and how do I disable it? I can't find anything about this in the Windows help, the control panel, or the properties of the system tray icon that appears.
    OK, I just answered my own question.

What you need to do is go into:

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services, then stop/disable the Infared Monitor service.

Then do a soft reset of your Treo, restart the HotSync manager, and you'll be all set. No more racing with Windows for control of the IR port!
    You solved it! Yehey! Many thanks!
    Not only did it solve my T600 problem, it also solved my wife's Nokia Hotsync problem
    Quote Originally Posted by dulan
    I ran into the same problem and came up with the following work around. Works every time!

1. Make sure hotsync on PC is set to Infared
    2. Bring up the Hotsync app on the T600
    3. Select the IR to a PC/Handheld connection
    4. DONOT line up the IR ports yet
    5. Press the hotsync button on the handheld then put it in line with the PC IR port

Should work without a hitch. Sad that I have to go through this cause my old Kyo 6035 worked like a champ, but this workaround only takes a sec, so no big deal.
    Thanks for the workaround. I just randomly started having this problem and the workaround works like a champ.
    Dulan, your advice worked great for me! I'm running a Treo 600 connected infrared to my Windows XP Pro laptop. Thanks, you rule!
    Well, this really irritated me today, and IR hotsync had previously worked fine. I KNEW the problem was on the Treo, and it was... I had recently installed the portable keyboard drivers...

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...tem,CASE=26288

You have to disable the keyboard drivers to use the IR port...
    Question:

Is there any way to use the IR infrared Port as a wireless modem for the Treo 600?

I can hotsync using the IR port, but it would be very useful to be able to get on the internet from my notebook computer using the IR port and my Treo 600 without having to carry the USB cable around. Currently I can use the program PdaNet to get online using the USB cable

Anyone know of how to configure a program or use IR to push a modem connection? Any ideas would be helpful, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlee6
    Question:

Is there any way to use the IR infrared Port as a wireless modem for the Treo 600?

I can hotsync using the IR port, but it would be very useful to be able to get on the internet from my notebook computer using the IR port and my Treo 600 without having to carry the USB cable around. Currently I can use the program PdaNet to get online using the USB cable

Anyone know of how to configure a program or use IR to push a modem connection? Any ideas would be helpful, too.

Yes, there is an app called Wireless Modem which was the predecessor of PDAnet that will let you do this. Search the forums as I recall many users have used this in the past to connect other devices (pdas/laptops) to the internet via IR connection to their treos...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Some related suggestions:

Palm OS handhelds have only one serial port that software can address at any one time. When you have problems related to any action that requires use of the USB port or use of the IR port, you should always ask yourself what other applications are running that might be trying to gain exclusive use of the serial port (it is a virtual port pointing to the IR and USB ports or others that you may be able to add via SDIO cards).

The culprits are usually:
    Carkit drivers
    IR keyboard drivers
    Laptop modem software
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Mol, I know thi sis way late, but once you define the custom view, you have to go to the Hotsync app and select it instead of "IR sync" or whatever is ther.
    --Pruitt

IBM Workpad-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Platinum-->Treo 180-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Centro
    My wireless hotsync starts up fine - but always stalls when it gets to the 'database' any ideas?
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlemke
    dmrfresh

I had the same problem you did an fixed it the same way. The issue is that the default connection of : IR to a PC/Handheld is set to connect to a "PC" via "Cradle/Cable". It should read via "Infrared". When it's changed to Infrared the name changes to "Custom", which I changed to something suitable and it works fine. I feel better knowing this is not unique but am disappointed as it looks like a Handspring quality control issue.
    THANKS.

It works now for me !

Kreso
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12