Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got mine 600. Showed up a week after I ordered it. The stylus is super-skinny -- almost wimpy in comparison to the 300. The keyboard keys are odd feeling. they don't look as quality as the 300. The size difference with the treo 300 is negligible. In fact, the 600 is heavier (!). The 600's sceen is awesome. The interface is nice though i really prefer the old keyboard and stylus. i already have someone who is interested in my treo 300 but i'm not sure if i can part with the old guy. the 600 is obviously more expandable. but do i really want to plunge down cash for a new set of accessories. i do like the case the 600 comes with. i wish the 600 was lighter, better stylus, and better keyboard.
    The heft is due to the bigger battery life. If that's important to you, than it's going to be a give and take. There's little way to make it lighter and add more battery. A lot of people, including me, think that the heft makes it seem more solidly constructed.

I think I like the keyboard better on the T600, but that's just opinion.

Personally, I've found that the mp3 player is a killer application on the T600. I find myself using it as much as phone or Internet.
    I too have REALLY debated getting a 600 and spent an hour with one at the Sprint store today. The end result ...............I think the 300 is better in MANY ways and the new Samsung beats both.

Here are a few:

Form Factor.

This is one BIG lump. WADR to those who find it appealing to talk into a bar of soap, I prefer the tradtional design of the Star Trek communicator.

Software.

No PQAs. This would be OK if Blazer II were really better AND if the screen weren't so coarse. As it is, a lot of things I do with PQAs now are very ahrd to do since most web sites are nto optimized to the tiny 160X160 screen.

No JOT!!! Whose stupid idea was this? Palm includes Jot as a standard (aka Graffiti II). I installed it on my 300 but ASSUMED it would be standard on anew PALM!!! It seems very clear that HS thinks noone will use the stylus. I tried the navigation button (I call it the dingus) but this thing is very clumsy compared to a stylus.

Hardware

Speaker: What damn fool put the speaker in back? How is this supposed to work in a car holder for hand free talk?

Screen: the screen is LOUSY! Yes it is brighter, that is good, BUT I went to Mapquest and tried to read a map ... impossible. This is enough to make the phone a loser ... why have the web if you can't read the pages?

Weight: HEAVY!!!! OK I understand this is partly to deal with the bigger battery, but this is all the more reason a flipphone design would be better ... try using this bar of soap as a PDA!

Dinky Stylus: THIN! I lie to use one of the 3rd party stuli with a pen nside. This thing is too thin!

No dual band!

I looked at the new Samsung too ... http://www.pcsvisionusa.com/i500.html

it does ALL that the 600 does, has interchangeable batteries, tiny form factor, Star Trek communicator design!

Here are some of its features:

Voicemail One-touch access to voicemail messages.

Graffiti II and virtual keypad AND dedicated writing area!

Band Type Dual Band, Tri-Mode

Full size telescoping stylus!

Bottm line ... the 600 loses.
    The Samsung has an older OS, has no keyboard and shorter battery life for starters.

Many of your complaints for the 600 also hold true for the 300. Neither the samsung nor the 300 have better than a 160x160 screen so not sure why this is a minus in that comparison.

If you prefer the form factor of the 300, that's fine. Others may prefer the form factor and keyboard of the 600, though speaking for myself, I prefer the bar of soap design over the traditional design of the star trek communicator.
    I have a couple of comments regarding the 'loser' Treo 600.

First off - If you are interested in using graffiti type input, a Treo is not for you. They engineered the unit around a keyboard and 5 way controller.

IMO, the 5 way is the star of the unit. I find that I don't have to pull out the 'skinny' stylus to do much anymore.

I find the length of the stylus much more comfortable than the one found on the 300.

Form factor: I lamented the loss of the flip cover but I don't miss the carving knife effect of the 300's sharp edges on my ear, or the slow hinge deterioration.

I also don't miss the chipping paint that made the unit look years older than it was.

The screen is bright and in all instances easier to read. Try that mapquest page again using wide mode view. You'll find the map to be more readable than a 300 could ever hope for.

I don't mind the extra weight. I understand that the added functionality and battery will create more weight. I feel the unit is much more sturdy.

I never used PQA's so I don't miss them. I can say that Blazer is significanly improved. Yes, there are still problems, but I can do things I never could do with Blazer 2 or Xiino.

I know a few folks that have the Samsung. It's a nice phone and an OK PDA. I can't lose the keyboard. I waited for the 600 to get OS 5, a faster processor, memory expansion and SDIO.

I can't fault one for bypassing the 600 and sticking with a 300 or going to another phone / pda. No unit is perfect, and people have different priorities. I just wanted to kick in my opinion as well.
    Ok

I agree that the I500 has

an older OS than the 600

BUT: the new OS really does not do very much except allow newer processors. AND: it comes wi Graffiti II, a part of the current OS missing from the 600.

no thumbboard

BUT:

a traditional phonepad for dailing ... the keyboard gets very cconfusing as a dailing pad in the TREO 300 or the 600.

AND:

Graffitti II

a lot better!

OTOH the I500 has ...

longer battery life wi interchangeable batteries .. vs. the TREO 300 or 600.

wonderful small size!

clamshell design to protect the screen.

What it doesn't have:

SD slot.

Also:

The smasung is dual band/triple mode.

Price: $400 after $150 credit from cust. service.
    Originally posted by Stevesm
    Also:

Sounds like your sold! I think given your desires you will enjoy the Samsung a great deal.
    Originally posted by Stevesm
    Also:

T600 price:

$399 from HS - $150 credit = $249

No brainer.
    The 150 has nothing to do with the HS, that is if you reup for an extention contract and if you can talk them into it. Also, it requires giving up the serial numbere so, I would guess the value of the 300 goes down on eBay. Finally, the 600 is not an impressive upgrade.
    If you are upgrading to the T600 from another smartphone, it's easy to point out those things you liked from your old phone that the T600 is different from and therefore, people may not initially like the change.

I came from a Blackberry 6510 (Nextel) which I absolutely loved. It's intuitive interface is amazingly quick. Simply pulling it out of the holster will automatically answer the phone or display the message. Even had PTT. When I bought the T600, it did a lot of the same functions like e-mail, web browser, appointments, etc, but it was still not what I was used to. It was like culture shock. I missed being able to send a message with two pushes of the thumbwheel.

After a week with the T600, I got used to the change, got quicker with using the functions, appreciated all the things this phone can do, and now I don't know how I could ever go back to that old decrepid Blackberry!
    One thing you have to admit is that a "Star Trek communicator" never did nearly as many cool things as the Treo 600. Maybe if they combined the communicator with one of those "Padds" that they're always using, it would equal the T600. Finally, we have something BETTER than what's in Star Trek!

That was my geek rant for the day
    Ah yes sanity!

I certainly can see an upgrade from the Blackberry to something with more capabilities.

My personal issue is with the upgrade from the 300 to the 600. Frankly I would RATHER have gone to a 310 than a 600 ... that is omething that preserved the advantages of the 300 and updated its features and quality. As it is, I see the 600 as an odd move, 1/2 way to a brick-like PC smartphone. For me, the Samsung offers something the size of a cell phone, unliitted battery life (interchangeables) but with web access, email, etc. Seems to me that the Samsung is the logical upgrade from the 300 while the 600 maybe more directed at you then me.

Beam me up scotty!
    Originally posted by bmacfarland
    The heft is due to the bigger battery life. If that's important to you, than it's going to be a give and take. There's little way to make it lighter and add more battery. A lot of people, including me, think that the heft makes it seem more solidly constructed.

I think I like the keyboard better on the T600, but that's just opinion.

Personally, I've found that the mp3 player is a killer application on the T600. I find myself using it as much as phone or Internet.
    my 2 cents...if I have any left...

I like a bit heavier...even in digicams. As for the smaller buttons...I don't know yet, because my phone gets here on Thursday

A brighter screen is all it needed...I have an old Casio E-125...that screen was awesome, but I don't miss it. MP3 playing will be cool...for sure.

Battery life is a major bonus...hopefully they got turbo drain out of their vocabulary...don't know how many times my t300 hard reset itself because the battery died and I couldn't find the charger fast enough.

The biggest thing for me was computer sync-ability. I use an XP box at work, and a Powerbook at home. So Palm based units are the only way for me to go.

As for the Casio...still haven't put it on eBay...thinking about using it for a sinker next time I go fishing. Or letting my male rabbit hump it!
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
    Originally posted by sparkky
    [ The stylus is super-skinny -- almost wimpy in comparison to the 300. The keyboard keys are odd feeling. they don't look as quality as the 300. The size difference with the treo 300 is negligible. In fact, the 600 is heavier (!). i wish the 600 was lighter, better stylus, and better keyboard. [/B]
    That does it for me. Pls. dont mine my manners, I am done in these forums for now until the GSM T600 are ready for ordering at the Handspring site.
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Ciaou
    Form Factor.

This is one BIG lump. WADR to those who find it appealing to talk into a bar of soap, I prefer the tradtional design of the Star Trek communicator.
    Personal perferences vary. I think most people would agree that this is more phone-like. One of the biggest gripes about the T3 form factor was that it was too Star-Trek like. HS consciously moved away from that.

Your point about Graffiti: Graffiti Anywhere is free and I believe updated to support the 600.

Speaker: The speaker in the back was a crummy idea, but it's loud enough so that you can still hear it.

Screen: MapQuest being too small? Blazer 3 has a 'wide-page' view?

No dual band!
    Ahem... it IS dual band.

[Samsung SPH-i500] does ALL that the 600 does, has interchangeable batteries, tiny form factor, Star Trek communicator design!
    This is SOOOOO uninformed, I almost fell out of my chair. Graffiti 2 is possible on the T6 with a freeware app. I've never had problems accessing voicemail, just hold down the 1 key. The Samsung SGH-i500 (NOT SPH) has most of the Treo's features (less KB), but that's nowhere to be found. The SPH-i500 is a nice tiny phone, and I certainly understand why it may be more popular with the average Joe, but to say it does what the T6 does and overlook the OS5, SD, camera, one-handed operation, MP3s, faster browser is a travesty.

IMHO

Bottm line ... the 600 loses.
    YMMV.
    Screen: the screen is LOUSY! Yes it is brighter, that is good, BUT I went to Mapquest and tried to read a map ... impossible. This is enough to make the phone a loser ... why have the web if you can't read the pages?
    You read maps by putting the browser in wide mode. awesome improvement over the 270/300.
    Wide Mode? I tried that, still unreadable.

Dual band ... yes, but no analog.

"camera" barely deserves the name.

Graffiti II/ Jot is NOT freeware! I do nto steal software. Graffiti Anywhere is freeware but it does not suport the characters used in Jot. Jot/Graffiti II is a big improvemetn for those of us who don't want to thumb type.

MP3 ... I would rather have a built in FM radio! Anyhoo this thing is awful big for a ,usic box and I don't want my phone playing music.

OS5 vs OS 4 .. is newer better? OS4 includes PQA. If you have not used these they are lots better than web pages.

Oh yeh ... HS is out of business. Why would Palm want to support this design as opposed to the Tungstens?

Handspring got acquired because Palm knew their t600 was head and shoulders above that crappy tungsten w. I have used the i300, treo 180g, i330, i500, and now the t600. I can honestly say IMO this is the best smartphone I have used. Needs are based on the user though. I will say this Stevesm you mentioned the i500 has better battery life than the 600. Are you smoking crack that thing has the worst battery life of any of the previous pdas I mentioned. It does have exchangeable batteries, but the i500's battery life is not close to the 600.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast