Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I usually don't weigh in on this forum too much, as I'm a confirmed i500 owner, but this is not a religious war (aka MS v. Mac). Both formats have their advantages, and that's what the "P" in PDA is all about. You really can't deny the T600 is a great upgrade of the T300 (which I owned for a two week trial). If you haven't seen Wendland's video review at the Detroit Free Press site, you need to (the screen is night & day better outside than the old T300).

http://www.mikesejournal.com/PDAphone.html

Add to that the SD memory and keyboard, and it is a great tool. However, I have to agree with the review of OS4 v OS 5 (also having been a Palm Zire owner - way too many PDA's in my life). With the exception of multi-media, I've seen very little performance difference in productivity apps (DateBk5, Snappermail, Docs to Go, Quickoffice) between OS 4 on the Dragonball 66mhz and a 120+ MHz ARM and OS5. And with a CSTN 160x160 screen, multimedia is not very attractive on the T600 (they at least should have used TFT like the i500).

As for the i500, the small flip phone format is what many people want (again, the "P" - personal choice). I was looking for something that was much more phone oriented, and the i500 delivers, plus gives me all the PDA functionality, including email with native MS file attachments (thanks to Snappermail, Docs to Go, and so more of my hard earned cash). Also, the lack of analog roaming (on the Treo 600) is a deal killer for me out here in the badlands of West Texas. Once you get off the major highways, or out of the city, you're forced to analog if you want any cell service. I would KILL for the SD memory slot, but wouldn't give up the sleek form factor for it. In fact, when you think about it, the i500 is the smallest Palm or PPC PDA out there (if it were a PDA only).

So my hat's off to both Handspring and Samsung for covering both ends of the converged market.

(My apologies to bartie, I just saw that the Wendland review has already been posted here - nevertheless, it's a great video you should see).
    Last edited by dstrauss; 10/21/2003 at 08:57 AM.
    dstrauss, most of your comments were fair. I still think that OS5 blows away OS4, hands down (there is a HUGE difference in response time), but the SPH is likely to appeal to more people for its size. Either way, PalmSource wins, and this is indeed NOT a "holy war". I do think most high end users will opt for the T6, and trying to compare the feature sets is ludicrous.
    Originally posted by Stevesm
    Wide Mode? I tried that, still unreadable.
    If that's unreadable to you then the i500 can't make it readable to you either.
    The keyboard keys are odd feeling. they don't look as quality as the 300.
    Are you for real?

One could prefer the T300 keyboard, due to the spacing and size issues. But - "they don't look as quality as the 300" - I can hardly believe anyone would write that. They are drastically higher in apparent quality.

I looked at the new Samsung too ... http://www.pcsvisionusa.com/i500.html

it does ALL that the 600 does, has interchangeable batteries, tiny form factor, Star Trek communicator design!
    Normally, when someone capitalizes ALL, they really mean ALL.

The i500 does a lot less than ALL that the Treo 600 does:

- no keyboard (this is the fundamental issue - the Treo exists because of the keyboard)
    - no SD slot, meaning no possibilities with mp3s, GPS, etc
    - older OS, slower processor, which may limit future software use
    - no five-way navigation, which is awesome

It does have some advantages, depending on the user, mainly the more "phone-like" form factor.

For me, the Samsung offers something the size of a cell phone, unliitted battery life (interchangeables) but with web access, email, etc.
    So buy the Samsung! Geez! Different strokes.

As for Jot, I have not yet heard of anyone using a keyboard on a PDA for more than 30 minutes who wanted to go back to any form of Graffiti, although I'm sure it's happened.
    I just realized: The Treo 300 community is full of techies, geeks and nerds and I've been very happy around there. This Treo 600 community is defferent, full of pure business men.
    Fixup, that's an exaggeration. Don't forget, most of the members of the 600 community are former members of the geeks, techies, nerds community.
    Originally posted by Fixup
    I just realized: The Treo 300 community is full of techies, geeks and nerds and I've been very happy around there. This Treo 600 community is defferent, full of pure business men.
    Does that mean I get a promotion? I could sure use the extra scratch.
    There are many things to like about Treo 600 but there are few things you cannot live with; there are many things to not like about Treo 300, but you can live with it.
    Originally posted by Fixup
    There are many things to like about Treo 600 but there are few things you cannot live with; there are many things to not like about Treo 300, but you can live with it.
    Well, there's one thing, among others, that I could not live with on the 300. Hard resets. No less than three times, I lost my data on the road. What's the point of the device, if all that you use it for is gone, until the next sync? SD backup is something I'll NEVER be without again. And IMO, there's nothing in the 600 I can't live with.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/Sn...t_Samsung_i505
    maybe I'll wait to see this one first before i trade my old treo 300 to the 600 model
    I would definetely suggest it. The hyoe here aside, I am pretty well cnvinced that T600 is more of an evolutionary branch and possibly a neanderthal twig rather than in the main stream toward the ultimate glory of a sapient PDA.

I would have bought the I500 over the T600 if it were not for the huge price difference. Features of the I500 include:

a. better size.
    b. a more natural dialing pad
    c. a seperate graffiti pad
    d. ability to take voice dictation
    e. extensive voice dialing
    f. ability to tun PQAs
    g. interchangeable batteries.
    h. flip phone structure.
    i. analog mode.

Negatives are mainly the higher price, the abscence of the keyboard , the older OS, and the abscence of the SD slot.

In contrast the T600 offers mainly

a. brighter screen with "wide mode"
    b. a crummy camera
    c. a keyboard
    d. a speaker phone
    e. an SD slot
    g. compaitibility with existing T300 accessories.
    h. faster CPU and newer OS
    i. improved browser

Major negatives are unwieldy size and shape, lack of inercheable batteries, inability to run PQAs.
    a. better size.
    b. a more natural dialing pad
    I'll give you these - although I think the T600's size is fine, and I don't have an issue with the dialing pad. I guess it can be a little confusing when I hand the phone to my mom, she might not know how to dial. But for my own use, I don't see much of an advantage to a "natural dialing pad".

c. a seperate graffiti pad
    You list the T600's keyboard as one of its strengths. I'm not sure the graffiti pad can be a strength, in that case, as the keyboard renders graffiti almost meaningless.

d. ability to take voice dictation
    e. extensive voice dialing
    Voice dictation would be nice. It's likely that a third-party piece of software could add this to the T600, although you never know. It's good that Samsung included it. I wonder why Handspring didn't.

As for voice dialing, if you use Sprint, you can add a pretty deluxe voice command system for $5/month, so while this is a nice plus, it's not that big a deal. (I'm not a voice dial fan, myself, anyway.)

f. ability to tun PQAs
    g. interchangeable batteries.
    Both are kind of nice, but don't get me all that fired up. Do you really want to carry around spare batteries, anyway? I think I'd rather plug the phone to the wall and be trapped sitting near the power outlet until I finish my call, then leave the phone charging, than always carry a spare battery.

h. flip phone structure.
    Matter of personal preference. I like flips, but a lot of people don't. If you're mostly concerned about the screen being damaged, the $30 form fit case pretty much eliminates that issue (even if you ignore the belt clip and just stuff the phone in your pants pocket, which I do).

i. analog mode.
    I guess I'd like to have this option just in case, but I haven't used analog - at least not deliberately - for more than three years. When I had my Star-TAC, when I'd see it was in analog, I'd turn it off. I would probably disable analog on the Treo if it had analog. So I personally don't care much about this, although like I said, better for the user to have the option.

In sum, the only thing you listed that I care much about is voice dictation, and that's kind of a minor feature, to me. You can always leave yourself a voicemail, or type a note into notepad. I would rather have a speaker phone than voice memo capability.

Negatives are mainly the higher price, the abscence of the keyboard , the older OS, and the abscence of the SD slot.
    Those are some pretty big negatives, IMO, especially the keyboard and SD slot. They far outweigh the other stuff you listed, for my needs.

Your needs may vary, which is fine. If you want to buy the Samsung, that's cool. Samsung makes great equipment. Perhaps you could find a Samsung board to post about it on.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12