Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yep, the mania is wearing off. Enough time has passed to make me less and less impulsive. I'm finding myself looking at other tech toys (like upgrading my 1.2 megapixel digicam) to get my geekware fix. The delays on the gsm T600 are making me question whether the outlay will be worth it. Is my 180 *REALLY* that bad? The delays are making what would have been an impulse buy a "no sale"

anyone else?
    Last edited by echaban; 10/21/2003 at 02:02 PM.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    I've waited the 2-weeks it takes me to "get over" the impulse of a new tech toy only to find my T300 with a crack starting at the left hinge and a wicked echo in the earpiece. So waiting 2-weeks+ may put me in a position to request a "deal" as my T300 is about 4 1/2 months old.

I see a T600 in my near future but, the question remains what will I pay for it.

Cheers!
    Palm IIIx, Palm Vx, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Centro, Pre
    Picked up my T600 at FedEx facility on Saturday, and haven't stopped being amazed. Just set up PocketTunes tonight, and now I've got another benefit with this thing. I think the new d pad is worth its weight in gold.

Cluemeister
    Haven't gotten over it yet. I lurk on this board and HS site all day long.

I think this may be my last tech toy for a while. (Now if I could only make my wife believe that...)
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    I love the thing. Sure there are a couple things I wish it had, but that can be said of ANYTHING.

I thought the same thing with my 300... but then using the 600, it's just so much nicer.

But I love that I am able to convert some buffy episodes and watch 'em on it. (HUSH) I've got 2 on a 256meg card and bunch of MP3s too.

Same here. GSM delay caused me to reconsider. I am seriously entertaining idea upgrading my Clie TG50 to UX-50 and staying with Clie+bluetooth phone pair.

I think Handspring lost many customers like me.
    Treo 600 CDMA is one thing but to have one of the first and only quad band GSMs with all the goodies on 600 has to be worth the wait. What else could you buy to rival it? There's still glory in being first to have the GSM. Last time out the Sprint folks waited months and months for 300 to arrive.
  8.    #8  
    Truth be told. I'd be happy enough to have a 180 with the battery life of a T600. having support for javascript is cool too. everything else is stuff I don't really need.

But then again, most of us don't really *NEED* our geekware anyway. We're just transistor junkies.....

Will I upgrade? I guess so, but my sense of urgency has really dropped.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    echaban,

I am in exactly the same boat..except I just sold my 180. I'm committed and I'm here to talk you down. Yesterday I received a call from a friend in another facility at work who has the Sprint version in hand and wanted to show me it..I asked him to meet me on the 1st floor as I may actually jump if I see it and continue to learn I can't get my hands on the GSM version.

So, I am led to believe that it will be worth the wait, I remain committed to the new device and will be right here with all until it becomes a reality.

I really believe the difference between your 180 and the 600 will be astronomical and you should stay focused. You are not alone and I feel your pain more than you know.

As far as *need*, we don't really neeed anything except food, water and shelter, man I hate the "I don't need one of those things" comments.

.any day now..any day now. You and I are not impulse buyers..we are anxious ones.:shortcut:
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I'm with you, in that they would have lost me if another smartphone existed with a thumbboard (other than the TC, which I consider too much a pda...no speakerphone, etc. etc.).

Yet, with all my desire to find another, comparable smartphone...nada! And to boot, my 180's hinge broke, leaving only the partially workable earpiece jack the only means of using the phone (it mutes and/or screams at you). AHHH

How come Belgium, Cambodia, or where-ever has already received GSMs???? ERRRRR!!
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    I'm with you, in that they would have lost me if another smartphone existed with a thumbboard (other than the TC, which I consider too much a pda...no speakerphone, etc. etc.).

Yet, with all my desire to find another, comparable smartphone...nada! And to boot, my 180's hinge broke, leaving only the partially workable earpiece jack the only means of using the phone (it mutes and/or screams at you). AHHH

How come Belgium, Cambodia, or where-ever has already received GSMs???? ERRRRR!!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    treoo0,

Is your 180 still under warranty? Mine had a speaker problem a while back and Tmo replaced it free. I imagine after the GSM 600 is out we will see lots of used 180/270's for sale..what do you think they will be worth?
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Originally posted by j$hort
    treoo0,

Is your 180 still under warranty? Mine had a speaker problem a while back and Tmo replaced it free. I imagine after the GSM 600 is out we will see lots of used 180/270's for sale..what do you think they will be worth?
    No...I wish! In fact, it got run over by a jeep (don't ask me how) about 10 months ago...and I had to pay $179 (plus tax and shipping) to get a replacement model. I purchased mine directly from Handspring, when it first came out.

All in all, I've spent the following on the 180:
    $500 purchase
    $35 case
    $~25 car charger
    $~ 30 for shipping
    $~200 for replacement
    -------
    ~ $900 ~ equals "I think they owe me a T600 for Twenty Bucks!!!!!! Hehe

The HE#L you pay for being a gadget head. Gotta love it.
    seriously considerg the UX 50 myself. When you call hadnspring inquiring about the GSM version, they are now saying anytime between now and the end of fall. What a bummer.

My enthusiasm for this product is all but gone, and I already had one I took back. Its cool, but is it THAT cool?
    the heat hasnt died down....it's just all the CDMA users (A LOT) have already got em.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Originally posted by mwomwom
    Treo 600 CDMA is one thing but to have one of the first and only quad band GSMs with all the goodies on 600 has to be worth the wait. What else could you buy to rival it?
    umm, quite a few things actually- my first choice would be the p900...65k display, and even with the flip closed its got more pixels than the entire treo 600 display...also goes landscape mode...has bluetooth, opera browser...sigh...the list goes on...

i have a p800 right now, and i'd just like to try a treo to see if can live with all of the stuff it lacks...unfortuntately there arent any to try because of their botched launch...

i will say that i'd rather slide down a 50 foot razor blade on my crotch and land in a pool of iodine before i'd switch back to sprint though, i love gsm for its voice quality- choice of handsets, and the ablity to switch handsets...

ah well...the wait continues...
    Originally posted by theevaluator

i will say that i'd rather slide down a 50 foot razor blade on my crotch and land in a pool of iodine before i'd switch back to sprint though, i love gsm for its voice quality- choice of handsets, and the ablity to switch handsets...

ah well...the wait continues...
    FYI, I have had a 600 as I stated above, and I am salivating at the 900 as well. I hope you can play memory stick TV back on the 900 that was recorded with Sonys little Digital vcr. That will rock. Watching shows you missed when your bored.

I also agree, I wouldnt go back to sprint if the service was free!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    dude,

hope its a mach3 razor blade..ouch.

I'm with you (on the CDMA treo, not the razor). I kinda want the ability to swap the SIM. I have a SIM that was supplied to me with the VisorPhone and a $19.99 phone plan. From there the SIM went to a Treo 180 then a temp Samsung R225 as I await the 600. I am also using my original visor as my PDA for a dual device world...after having 1 device, having to lug aronud 2 really sucks.

I plan to bump up my SMS messages and use a wifi SD for connectivity arount the office and at home. May consider unlimited web from Tmo if need be.

I wana try to stay away from the proprietary Sprint deal, but this may be part of their strategy. This is starting to pi55 me off.
  19.    #19  
    I briefly got my hands on a Sprint version at a local store (and had to endure the hard sell) Frankly, I was a little disappointed. The keyboard really felt cramped and my typing was certainly affected. It had not been charged yet so I could not power it up to see the screen. It felt like I was hitting multiple keys simultaniously and I have farily thin fingers for a man. I understand there is some kind software to keep this from being a problem (it figures out which key you "meant" to hit)

I'm seriously considering holding off. I'm wondering if, say, after christmas it might be available below the HS upgrade price w/ a contract. My 180 is pretty new because I got a extended warranty replacement once the speaker started getting flaky.

With all the noise about reliability issues etc, I'm also a little concerned, but that's what warranties are for, right?

I'm having major cognitive dissonance
    The first time i used the keyboard I was disappointed as well. After a week or so, you get used to it and have no problems.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast