1.    #1  
    I've seen quite a few threads about the Treo Form Fit case along with many others. But I didn't recall seeing anyone's thoughts on the Treo Side Case ... so, you get to hear mine (exciting, huh?).

Personally, I'm not comfortable with the concept of the Form Fit case. While I like the verticle design, I don't like the idea of having the screen face outward. I'm not so concerned with scratches as the plastic cover should handle those. My bigger concern is a sharp turn around the corner of a desk ending up in a smashed screen. Even with Sprint's equipment coverage, I'd rather not have the hassle.

Last Monday afternoon I ordered the Treo Side Case from MobilePlanet for $19.95 (ten bucks less than Handspring). They shipped on Tuesday by UPS Ground and it arrived at my office on Friday morning.
    • The leather case appears to be well-made. The strap closes securely with a snap. I think I would have preferred a magnetic one though.
    • There is no play on any side. The T600 is held firmly.
    • The belt clip is appears to be a heavy spring metal covered by leather. When clipped to my belt, there doesn't appear to be any danger of it coming off accidentally.
    • The ends of the case are made of black Cordura Nylon (or reasonable facsimile thereof).

There are two important design points to mention regarding the ends.
    [list=1][*]The left end of the case (looking from the snap side) is cut lower to accomodate the antenna. The right side goes almost to the top ... thereby making it impossible to choose which way you'd prefer to place the T600. In other words, the Treo must be placed with the screen facing your body and the antenna facing forward (if worn on the left) or facing rearward (if worn on the right). On the plus side, having the screen facing in certainly provides the greatest level of protection for the screen. As I think about it, the pressure from snapping the case closed would likely damage the screen if you were able to turn the Treo around. Perhaps that was their motivation.[*]Because the non-antenna end of the case goes almost to the top, it's impossible to connect to the headset jack while the T600 is in the case. Certainly, some surgery could be performed if you're so inclined. Personally ... I'm not.[/list=1]
    That does it. All in all ... I'm happy with the purchase.

~Shooter~
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Great review, I think that's the one I'm going to go for as well.

A few more questions:

How easy is the snap do undo and latch (i.e. how quickly can I get the thing out when the phone is ringing in the middle of a meeting)

Is it better to carry it on your left hand side so that the antenna is pointing forward? I prefer my right side, but don't think a backwards pointing antenna position would be practical (again, thinking of speed of removing the thing...I probably pull the thing in and out of the holster 50 times a day...)
  3.    #3  
    How easy is the snap to undo and latch (i.e. how quickly can I get the thing out when the phone is ringing in the middle of a meeting)
    I find the snap firm and secure but not too much so. I haven't found the need to wrestle with it to get it open or closed.

Is it better to carry it on your left hand side so that the antenna is pointing forward? I prefer my right side, but don't think a backwards pointing antenna position would be practical (again, thinking of speed of removing the thing...I probably pull the thing in and out of the holster 50 times a day...)
    Even though I'm right handed, I prefer the left side for the Treo. I find it easy to unsnap and then lift the antenna with my left index finger to pivot it up from the case. I tried it on the right, but I didn't find the process of holstering and unholstering as comfortable. Besides ... if I holstered on the right, it would get in the way of my firearm!

~Shooter~
    I ordered one of these (OEM) from ebay for $12.99 but haven't received it yet. (but I haven't received my phone yet either!) I need something to use while I am out bicycling. It sounds pretty secure from what you have written. Does it muffle the ringer much?
    I have the form fitting case w/ belt clip. I like the see through plastic cover for the face of the Treo 600. But I rather have the same case....but with a belt loop instead....this clip makes the phone alittle too far from the body...hard to feel the phone vibrate when in "silent mode. If anyone sees one...reply here.....THANKS!!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by lb505
    Does it muffle the ringer much?
    As you can imagine, it can't help but muffle it some, but I don't believe the change is substantial enough to cause you to miss the call. I'd just be sure I wasn't using one of the softer ringtones.
    ~ShooterX~
    - President George W. Bush

I just received my Side Case yesterday (prior to getting it, I was using the Belkin Universal case, which came off my belt and fell to the ground at least 3 times )

I like this case a lot. It's not as thick as I imagined from the pictures, it's very light, and the phone is snug but comes out of the case pretty easily. Two thumbs up!
    Been looking everywhere for images of how the belt clip looks on the side case. Thanks for the great review and photo.
    I did the "surgery" to accomodate the headset jack. Very easy with a pair of sharp scissors.

Basically put it in the case and look at how the headset jack is obscured. Cut out a notch about the size of the fingernail on your pinky. Done correctly it doesn't look bad (not at all obvious to anyone but you), doesn't impact how the phone goes in and out, and allows the headset to work just fine (so if you're using one with a push-to-answer button, you can pick up a call without pulling it out of the case).

Now it's the way it should have been to start with.

Paul