Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I've been using the new BC since yesterday, and I've noticed that the background sync seems to be working nicely, but I don't get a notification if a message is received in the background.

Can anyone else verify this ?

Also, they have added support for attachments, but no graphic attachments ?
    This has been happening to me too. I wonder if there is a solution to this alert problem.
    I have been having the same problem... no alerts when I get new mail when BC synchs in the background. It would be a nice feature to have.
    Originally posted by aavirag
    I have been having the same problem... no alerts when I get new mail when BC synchs in the background. It would be a nice feature to have.

A nice feature????

I would say (and I am not one to get mad often) that for $5 a month it is a CRITICAL feature... what giid is getting emails if you do not know you got them?

Someone needs to tell Sprint about this right away so they can fix the client.... This is rediculous.

Even Treo 600SMS pops up a screen and dingsd when a new SMS comes in.. I dont need a screeen turning on as that would kill the battery but when you have alerts on, they SHOULDNT just happen when you are in the applkcation (when you dont need them) They need to happen whenevr mail comes in in background and rewgardless of what app you are ion..

dont you all agree.

Who can help?

Mike
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I have tested BC with the following:
    1. My XP pro machine at home running Outlook to a pop account.
    2. Win 2K at work with Outlook running from an exchange server through a firewall.
    3. Direct to a POP account.

You can only select one account at a time with the client (no way to have multiple accounts active at the same time).

With the POP account there is no push mail option??? Why?? Further, it will only sync once an hour as the most frequent setting.

With the other two methods, you can push email and you do get notifications if you activate them on the server and on the client. However, you can not read HTML emails. They show up blank. I have not tested opening attachments yet so I can't say whether they work or not.

I have now tested attachments, and XLS and a DOC file. Neither works. I get an error sayign the file type is not supported even though I installed the attachment viewer.

So far I am not too impressed with BC. Snapper mail seems to do a beeter job, even without push. The new Treo600SMS works really well for those quick text messages and is just as fast as my Blackberry!

I hope the limitations described above will be fixed in the T600 version.
    Last edited by barjohn; 10/21/2003 at 12:32 AM.
    John
    BarJohn.... A few questions and comments...

Relating to Fileview... a common problem theme it seems.

1. Are you using 6.x? and if so did you upgrade to the 6.x version of BC Personal Edition from 5.x via the upgrade dialog that appears when you connected recently?

2. If you didn't use method #1 then did you just download the new 6.x software and install it fresh in a new directory?

As for the POP questions you had... POP has some big limitations for email vendors so I'm not surprised that push is not supported. Another poster... Lakeside... had some comments about this in the following post:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t39061/s.html

I used to work in the email software business, so I actually know what's up here.....There a standard POP protocol which allows services like BizConn to access your POP email, like Earthlink & Yahoo. But there's no such standard protocol for accessing calendar and contact information from these services....So it's basically email-only whenever a 3rd party is providing you with access to a POP email service.
    Another point I would like to point out besides the fact that BC doesn't notify you of new email is that hyperlinks in BC are not automatically recognized as with other applications such as SMS. Is there anyway we can contact Sprint to get this stuff fixed?
    Originally posted by bvinson
    Another point I would like to point out besides the fact that BC doesn't notify you of new email is that hyperlinks in BC are not automatically recognized as with other applications such as SMS. Is there anyway we can contact Sprint to get this stuff fixed?
    There have to be SOMEONE who knows how to REALLY get in touch with someone from Sprint that MATTERS and can fix both of these issues.

Please note that most of the calls to Sprint are from lil Old ladies who wonder why no calls are coming through their phone... because they forgot to turn it on!

As far as real tech people like us... there needs to be someone who will listen and really address these issues.

In reality it shouldnt take more than a few hours or days at most to look through the code and figure out what the deal is with these problems... but someoen has to do it.

SO if anyone here works for Sprint or knows how to really get in touch with someone that matters please let us know!!

We PAY for BizConn!... and until the alert issue is fixed I STILL have to carry a Blackberry just because of this notification issue!!

Mike
    Last edited by MikeRadio; 10/21/2003 at 01:22 PM.
    Plain and simple - Sprint SUCKS. How this company does it so bad is beyond me. I love the Treo, but hate Sprint. Cannot wait for it to come out on T-Mobile.

The BC has no push and you have to leave it running on a machine is ludicris! Why can't Sprint set up the same type of service with Good Link that T-mobile has with Blackberry?? See http://www.tmobile.com/bwc/ - afterall we are all paying for this service we are not getting, so there should no be a cost issue for them. I set this up on a BlackBerry in August and it worked great and the set up was quick, simple and painless.

Sprint needs to get a clue if they want to continue to compete in the data market - I HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Slick50 -- I think there's some confusion here. As has been stated *many times* the past few days on this forum, if all you're trying to do is access a POP account via BizConn, then you do *not* need to leave your computer connected. To summarize: POP access only = no need to have PC connected. It's as simple as that.

On the other hand, if you want to use Biz Conn Personal Edition to connect to a corporate email server like MS Exchange or Lotus Domino, then you do need to keep your PC connected.

You asked why Sprint can't set up the same kind of service with GoodLink that TMobile has with BlackBerry Web client. That's a mistaken question on 2 points: first, Goodlink is a solution that a *company* rolls out for its employees (it requires the company to install a server behind the company firewall) -- it's not a solution that you can provision for yourself as an individual. Second, Sprint does have the solution you're looking for like TMobile's BlackBerry Web Client -- it's Biz Conn for POP accounts, as I described above.
    Hmm...Slick... BC has push and I am using it right now... tonight and the push's are coming in around 3-10 minutes on my 600 which is an improvement and reasonable from the last couple of nights where there were some major pains.

Do you have Treo and are not getting Push's? Give us your scenario and maybe we can help.

Clearly the 6.0 has had some hiccups as indicated through all these posts. Sprint is well aware of these problems by now and is working to correct them. How do I know? The Mobile Gods have told me so! :-)