1.    #1  
    Well, I installed BC PE 6 on the Treo 600 and attempted to view an email attachment. I received the following error when attempting to retrieve the attachment:

"That service is disabled. Please re-enable it and try again."

I called Sprint technical support and was told that viewing attachments is currently disabled due to some problems. Should be available within a week. Yeah right!!

Gotta love Sprint!!
    Have you installed the "File View Add-on" file which is available at the bottom of the Settings page on the Web? Then have you done a successful sync of email on the Treo since you installed the File View Add-on?

Try that and then try viewing a file after that. I haven't had any problem viewing files, so I know there must be some combination that works....
  3.    #3  
    I did install the file addon and hotsynced the device. when I click on the attachment, it seems like it's going to the server (wait bar) but then comes back with the message I stated above. I guess I could remove and install again but I don't know why sprint tech support said that it was disabled if some people are able to view their email attchments.
    I'm having the same problem on enterprise edition.
    I had the same problem. I checked the box for it to install the add-on & got the error message described above. Then, I downloaded & installed the add on & it worked. Seems like it didn't install the add-on (even though I checked the box for it to be included).

Let me know if that works.

Paul
    Originally posted by baguion
    I called Sprint technical support and was told that viewing attachments is currently disabled due to some problems. Should be available within a week. Yeah right!!

Gotta love Sprint!!
    I have it installed and it works just fine so it isn't dissabled.

BTW I did a download and install directly from the phone.
    Adam West
    It is definitely not disabled under PE...as there are people on the boards that have it working. I think that clip of information from adamwest may have been taken from a thread about Enterprise Edition. When you talked to Sprint did you tell them you were using Personal Edition?

There a number of people having problems though and the Mobile Gods have communicated via a double secret probation device sync that the specific error of "That service is disabled. Please re-enable it and try again." is being investigated.

baguion -- One thing you can check to see whether your Fileview directory was installed or not. I am going to assume it is and is located in your \Program Files\Sprint\PCS Business Connection if you stayed with the defaults.

Another check is to go to your PCS Business Cnnection directory and then do the following:

1. Stop your desktop Client.
    2. Start your Desktop Client
    3. Open up the slingshot.log file in the PCS Business Connection and go to the bottom of the file and work your way up to find the last -- Begin Logging -- line that should look like the following...

-- Begin Logging --
    Tue Oct 21 23:41:40 PDT 2003 (2424-1984): Connecting to 66.35.228.39:443
    Tue Oct 21 23:41:40 PDT 2003 (2424-1984): Found fileview add-on: C:\Program Files\Sprint\PCS Business Connection/fileview

4. Your IP will of course be different but he second line indicates whether the software found the Fileview software... if it is not found it will say....

"Didn't find fileview add-on" just after the connection line.

Now unfortunately that is all you can do to check for now and I do not have a solution yet but these are some fundamental check that can be made as a start to at least know the Fileview is installed and being seen by the Desktop Client.
    I am on personal edition and am also having the "That service is disabled. Please re-enable it and try again" problem - I have already installed and re-installed everything. Also, I checked the directories and it is definitely loaded - I can even see the desktop sending data when I make the request to download.

Is there anything else I can do?
    Ok.. here's a trick that ~should~ solve the Business Connection Personal Edition problem for 6.x users with attachment viewing where you get a message of:

"That service is disabled. Please re-enable it and try again".

when you click on a document.

This suggestion is just for Personal Edition and not Enterprise Edition users. Here's the steps:

1. Locate the Sprint/PCS Business Connection/sevenutil.dll file and check to see it is 536K with a file date of 7/24/2003.

2. Check and see if you have a Sprint/PCS Business Connection/fileview directory and if so copy the sevenutil.dll to this directory. Remember you should do a copy of this DLL file and not a move. This is where my fileview directory was located.. your mileage may vary.

3. Disconnect the PCS Business Connection software and restart it.

4. Try an attachment now on your mobile device and hopefully it will work.

Good Luck and Mobile Godspeed!
    Last edited by MobileGhost; 10/23/2003 at 11:57 PM.
    That did the trick - thanks!!!!