Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I nominate myself for the worst Treo 600 / Sprint PCS experience yet…

Thursday 10/9 – Place order.
    10/10 - 10/15 – Wait for order to ship. Read every post to treocentral and posted some foolish ones
    myself.
    10/16
    11:30am – It arrives.
    12:00 pm – Called sprint to activate. “Phone will work in 2 hours, data will work in 4” I’m told by the rep.
    2:00 pm – Phone starts working
    4:00 pm – No data yet. Getting error 3000
    6:45 pm – No data. Stop off at the Sprint PCS store on Market St. in San Francisco to see if they can help. “Wow, that’s the first one we’ve seen in here…. Cooool. Oh, yeah, they’re having issues with provisioning. Huge backlog apparently. I’d give it a few days.” - I’m told by a tech.
    10/16 – 10/18 – Waiting patiently. Good thing there are plenty of other things to play with on this thing and I was only out a day and a half of work time with no data access. I try the provisioning every few hours when I think of it. Error 3000.
    Saturday 10/18 -
    2:00 pm - I decide to call Sprint to see what’s going on. I describe my problem and the tech says he sees that my provisioning was held up. He resets something on the network and tells me to try again in 4 hours.
    6:00 pm – Error 3000
    Sunday 10/19
    10 am – I call sprint and get escalated up to a tier 2 tech. The guy wants to be helpful but admits he has little information to troubleshoot with. We try all kinds of things, soft reset (which I had tried a few times already), system reset, hard reset, entering a new network entry manually… Error 3000. It was nearly an hour call including hold times. He comes back and tells me that there were towers out and that is affecting provisioning. He logs a trouble ticket and says, “They already know about the problem but sometimes logging more issues makes them work faster.” We discuss this and I find out how Sprint really thinks of their data service. After posting to the forumI start to question this “tower” explanation and think the guy just wants me off the phone.

Monday 10/20
    12:00 noon - I head back to the Sprint store and explain my story to a customer service guy. He takes my phone to the tech and back. The rep tells me they say they have no cables, support books, nada to support it. He gives me no course of action to resolve the issue and hands the phone back to me. I ask to speak with the manager of the store. I explain my story to him and he says even though he cannot diagnose the problem that it sounds like it’s my phone that is the problem. I explain my frustration in that he cannot support a phone with a sprint logo, he says it’s just too new and since I bought it from handspring that I should go to them for a return. He says they gotten only 2 of them in and sold them both. So I asked what would happen if one of those customers had a problem and he said, “Yeah.” Obviously he doesn’t like the fact that he can’t yet support a phone he sells yet either. I ask him why they released it so early that it couldn’t be adequately supported. He said that was a question for sprint marketing etc. I had reached the end of my questioning.

1:00 pm – Back in the office I check the Handspring site and findthis gem:
    “If the issue turns out to be irresolvable on the phone, the Customer Care agent will direct you to go to the nearest Sprint PCS store for thorough diagnostics by a technician.” So apparently the sprint store manager I spoke with is unaware of this fact.

I’m going to take a printout of this page to him right now. Hopefully he can escalate it some how and get a replacement to me asap.

Has anyone else had this much trouble getting their phone 100% operational? Should I forget the Sprint Store people and go through the phone techs? They’re the ones who are blowing smoke about the ‘towers’.

I think it would have been easier if it were doa. This sucks.
    Sounds like a very typical sprint experience to me. It is unfortuate but true. I would get an RMA and exchange the phone with handspring. I had a similar issue with an early 300, and it was the phone, even after they said it was not about 20 times.

Cheers
    That sucks.

I'm having other problems with my phone that I got from Sprint and they gave me the same run around. When I told them that I had been to a Sprint store to get it looked at (and they couldn't troubleshoot the phone cause it was so new), she asked me which store was it (like she was gonna see if I was lying or something) then put me on hold.

When she came back, before she said anything, I asked for a return kit. I don't have time to drive around different stores, was my thought.

I ordered a replacement from Handspring, it seems they are better with customer support.

hate sprint, love the Treo
    Worst experience ever?

Nahh...that's just SOP (Sprint Operating Procedure)

Hey...we all like the low rates, but with it comes a low/no concern for customer service.

...ken
    If you call handsping support and don't put in a carrier (I think it is option 6) you can talk to a person. I was having problems with crashes. They gave me a code to see what was crashing it. It was a huge help to talk to someone at handspring. I don't know if they can help with a vision thing. They aren't supposed to help us but if you get one on the phone sometimes they do.
    Try going into preferences and making sure that the bot to Enable Local Network Time is checked under the Date & Time option. This was my problem and as soon as I checked this box, everything worked like a charm.
    Aw, c'mon -- I clicked on this thread expecting to read that you'd sat on your new Treo while you weren't wearing pants, or something. This doesn't sound all that bad. Frustrating, sure, but not like you had to go to the hospital or anything.

Please try harder and then post again.

P.S. Sorry to hear that it's been frustrating. It'll probably work out eventually, though.
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by snerdy
    Aw, c'mon -- I clicked on this thread expecting to read that you'd sat on your new Treo while you weren't wearing pants, or something. This doesn't sound all that bad. Frustrating, sure, but not like you had to go to the hospital or anything.

Please try harder and then post again.

P.S. Sorry to hear that it's been frustrating. It'll probably work out eventually, though.
    Well, I did say 'yet'. I haven't heard of anyone else who hasn't gotten their phone online. The masses of South Florida people who were getting the same error were all magically fixed on Saturday. The sprint store manager was in his office on the phone when I went by. I waited for 15 minutes and left a note for him to call. Bah.
    I especially like the "towers down" and "the more tickets we enter the faster things get fixed' explainations.

As many other have said, this is pretty typical for Sprint. My guess is there is one or two experts at Sprint that know these things inside and out already, the trick is to find them. I think I would keep calling back to tech support and see if you can find the "expert".

I had problems when I provisioned my T300 inn July. They had to reprovision it and then it all went smoothly.
    Carl
  10.    #10  
    So the manager of the sprint pcs store called me and said that even though the handspring website says to call sprint that I should call the handspring support line 877-426-3777 and tell them the unit was doa (although that's not really true).

So I called handspring this evening. The number tells you flat out to pick your carrier and then connects you back to sprint. So I bypass that and get to a live person. After hearing my story they insist it's a sprint issue since it only deals with connecting to their data network. I knew this would happen. I'm forced to insist that they escalate the issue to tier 2 so they do. He gave me a case number and said someone will call me in 1 business day.

Whaddya think snerdy? Have I lived up to my subject yet? If not don't worry, it's far from over I'm sure. God it's so hard to keep from being a jerk to these poor support people. I expressly tell them to disregard my tone and and outbursts as only a result of my extreme frustration, nothing personal.

This still sucks
    I had the exact same problem with I got my T300. I ended up with $300 in service credits for my trouble ($50 per call to Sprint service). Didn't have any problems with the T600 (since returned) but maybe since I was already using Vision with the T300, it was a non issue. It seems like the new Vision users are still "paying" the price. Good luck.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    This is word for word the exact same experience I had when I tried to buy a Samsung I330 from Sprint, except that after all of this happened I kept going back to the store for 3 days. I went through 5 different I330's and none of them could get provisioned for data on my account.

Eventually, I just got an A500 and waited for this Treo. Provisioning worked first time on this Treo 600.
    If I were you, I would call Sprint to cancel the service at which time they will connect you with their retention department who will go out of their way to keep you. Tell them you're fed up and the phone doesn't work and see if they do anything for you. If not, then cancel and return the phone and buy a whole new one before the upgrade offer expires.
    Originally posted by shallow
    Have I lived up to my subject yet?
    Sure, man, that all sucks ...but worst ever? While the situation you describe is definitely frustrating, everyone on these boards has probably been there at one time or another. Heck, I just spent three months getting DSL service installed. The person who wins the title of Worst Experience Ever is gonna have to at least lose a limb before they even get to enter the contest.

Seriously, man -- it'll work out. Just take it easy for a bit or you'll drive yourself mad. Sprint customer service will be all too happy to provide you with walls to beat your head against. ...But you know this.

You'll make it, brother, you'll make it -- just stay cool.
    Last edited by snerdy; 10/21/2003 at 03:40 AM.
  15.    #15  
    Updated...
    I'm STILL without data service... STILL getting error 3000. i've spoken with countless techs at Sprint. One who seemed to know what he was talking about suggested I wait 48 hours and try then. I waited 72 and still nothing. They even escalated me to some guru at one point who they said would call in 4 hours. He called 2 days later. Tried a few things I had already tried. I demaned they give me one person to work with since I'm sick of telling the story over and over. It seemed promising when he reset my vision account and called me back the next day on Sunday to see what happened. We decided it was the phone and that it should be replaced. He said it would be tough to do since they're hard to get right now. I said under the circumstances I think a manager or SOMEONE ought to be able to handle this and make a last ditch attempt at customer satisfaction. He agreed but since it was sunday he said there weren't any managers with much weight around to help me. He said he would check first thing monday and have someone call me. It's Tuesday afternoon and I've heard nada. Now I'm on hold with a tier one guy waiting for him to find a manager.

I was pretty frustrated when I originally posted this but now it has become a self fullfilling prophecy.

16.    #16  
    Finally got the sprint manager... he tried one more thing which also gave me error 3000. They're sending me a new unit. Hope that works.
    Finally got the sprint manager... he tried one more thing which also gave me error 3000. They're sending me a new unit. Hope that works.
    I hope it does too. I've had the exact same errors as you (nonstop Error 3000) and after getting a new device it still doesn't work. Check out my thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...rror+3000.html

I'm feelin your frustration so much i had to use your avatar...i just had to.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Have you tried changing your username? I haven't but that's about the only thing that I haven't tried.

Did you have Vision already? I did!

The odd thing about my experience is that if I travel to another part of town (so far only north of campus) then Vision works fine. Once I get back on campus it doesn't work at all.

Another odd thing is that with my 1st device it provisioned and worked for about a day, then just stopped working.
  19.    #19  
    Never provisioned, even when I've been out of town with the phone. How do you change your username? The techs have tried it all... The mgr I last spoke to even had the cheese to say "Ok, when did you buy it? 12 days ago, ok good because if it had been 14 days you'd kind of be stuck."

I was speechless. I need to call back and get a tracking number tomorrow, forgot to ask for it in advance. They'll prob. tell me it was shipped via mule.
    Never provisioned, even when I've been out of town with the phone. How do you change your username? The techs have tried it all... The mgr I last spoke to even had the cheese to say "Ok, when did you buy it? 12 days ago, ok good because if it had been 14 days you'd kind of be stuck."

I was speechless. I need to call back and get a tracking number tomorrow, forgot to ask for it in advance. They'll prob. tell me it was shipped via mule.
    you can log on to sprintpcs.com and do it, though right now maybe it's not a good idea b/c it'd just add to the confusion.

My 2nd unit still hasn't provisioned. When I spoke to him about an hour ago, he claimed "it's looking better now than before....i'm pretty certain you'll be up & running within 6 hrs", which will be about 2 am. We'll see what happens....maybe we should exchange phone #s and maybe the techs can get some ideas from our experiences. Sigh.........
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast