Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Well, my case has moved "forward", too.

If you will recall, yesterday, when I called the Handspring "tech support" number back after not hearing from them, their monkey, eh, staffer tried to walk me through the voice activation, and I was shocked to find out that my trouble ticket with them did not even list the 3000 error.

Fast-forward to today. I had been promised a call-back by noon, and that did, OF COURSE, not happen. So I called them, and -- surprise -- I got the exact same spiel as yesterday. Then he tried to convince me that if I called "*2", I'd get some sort of "special Sprint department" that knows about data problems.

"Been there, done that -- they are clueless, and besides, I can't call Sprint on my Treo or else they can't do any debugging!".

At that point I started to get rather angry and shut my office door. I told the guy that Sprint had tried for two weeks to fix the problem, and that they had given up, and that obviously Handspring wasn't capable of diagnosing the problem either, so send me a new phone NOW! He finally agreed, and it took him about 10 minutes to enter the replacement order into their sophisticated order system (they probably use Visors with grafitti).

I was told it will take 3 to 5 business days (yeah, right... who's going to believe that).

He did not specify whether I would have to pay for the return shipment of the broken phone, but they can rest assured I am not going to. If they don't include a free mailer, I'll hand-deliver it to Todd Bradley down in Milpitas myself.

So now it's back to waiting... and praying that the new phone will resolve the issue.

But if you think that was all for today, you guessed wrong:

10 minutes ago my cellphone rings. I already recognize the caller id number (416 area code, seems to be some outsourcing call center): "Hello, this is blah-blah from Handspring tech support, I am calling about your problem with your Treo." Turns out I now have two trouble ticket numbers (don't ask me how that happened... I am sure it's not the fault of their sophisticated technology or caused by their skilled staff), and he was calling me about the "other ticket". I wasn't quite thinking fast enough, so I told him that someone else had already submitted the RMA -- who knows, I might have been able to get a second replacement going in parallel...

And now I am waiting breathlessly for the conclusion to Shallow's afternoon adventure.

Oliver
    Originally posted by ocs
    Well, my case has moved "forward", too.

If you will recall, yesterday, when I called the Handspring "tech support" number back after not hearing from them, their monkey, eh, staffer tried to walk me through the voice activation, and I was shocked to find out that my trouble ticket with them did not even list the 3000 error.

Fast-forward to today. I had been promised a call-back by noon, and that did, OF COURSE, not happen. So I called them, and -- surprise -- I got the exact same spiel as yesterday. Then he tried to convince me that if I called "*2", I'd get some sort of "special Sprint department" that knows about data problems.

"Been there, done that -- they are clueless, and besides, I can't call Sprint on my Treo or else they can't do any debugging!".

At that point I started to get rather angry and shut my office door. I told the guy that Sprint had tried for two weeks to fix the problem, and that they had given up, and that obviously Handspring wasn't capable of diagnosing the problem either, so send me a new phone NOW! He finally agreed, and it took him about 10 minutes to enter the replacement order into their sophisticated order system (they probably use Visors with grafitti).

I was told it will take 3 to 5 business days (yeah, right... who's going to believe that).

He did not specify whether I would have to pay for the return shipment of the broken phone, but they can rest assured I am not going to. If they don't include a free mailer, I'll hand-deliver it to Todd Bradley down in Milpitas myself.

So now it's back to waiting... and praying that the new phone will resolve the issue.

But if you think that was all for today, you guessed wrong:

10 minutes ago my cellphone rings. I already recognize the caller id number (416 area code, seems to be some outsourcing call center): "Hello, this is blah-blah from Handspring tech support, I am calling about your problem with your Treo." Turns out I now have two trouble ticket numbers (don't ask me how that happened... I am sure it's not the fault of their sophisticated technology or caused by their skilled staff), and he was calling me about the "other ticket". I wasn't quite thinking fast enough, so I told him that someone else had already submitted the RMA -- who knows, I might have been able to get a second replacement going in parallel...

And now I am waiting breathlessly for the conclusion to Shallow's afternoon adventure.

Oliver
    What did the guy that called say?

Also FWIW, they decided to ship me a new Treo last Thursday and I received it on Tuesday (even though mine started working). I called them and they said they're gonna send me something to send it back in. It was shipped out overnight.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
  3. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by farzonalmaneih
    BUT its crazy that carriers actually support them. Its gotta cost TONS of $$ to support these things.
    Well, the thing is, they are approaching a point where wireless data is going be their main growth area. How much more can you talk on your phone?

And besides, it's not that expensive to outsource "tech support" to a cheap labor country and have them read to you canned stuff from crip sheets until you cry.

Think of someone who isnt techy... and calling for support.. haha. I would hate to have to support the thing.
    I've been doing that every day for the last three weeks: This damn Treo is not even my own, it's one I bought for my wife as a nice replacement for her Kyocera 6035. She doesn't even care about the data stuff, with the exception of being able to send photos (and I want to be able to send her SMS at some point when Sprint figures out that part). All she really wants is a phone and a PDA for basic PIM stuff, and she likes the concept of a single device.

Now, she's NOT a techie, and she'd probably given up a long time ago (I probably should have, too, and just switched her over to a GSM model on 11/24).

Oliver
  4.    #64  
    The fact that this is a technically complex device is irrelevant at this point. If it's a tough problem they need to be upfront that they don't yet know the answer and get some of their smarter monkeys to work on it. In the meantime I'll wait patiently. But instead they have routed and re-routed me through endless numbers of monkeys at Sprint and Handspring. I used to do support for a distributed database application back in the telephony/9600 baud/Windows3.1 days for real estate agents. Don't talk to me about painful support. If Sprint sold breadmakers and I was still unable to make anything but white bread with the thing, I have no doubt that I would have had the same crappy support experience that I've had because of their poor organization, communication, ownership, and bottomline care for their customers.

I'm going to call sprint now. Those dirty, dirty apes.
  5.    #65  
    Solid Busy Signal for the past 5 minutes on the number they gave. I thought it was a special number since the manager hand wrote it on the card... but it's the same number that is already printed on the card! Fooled me!

Oh, and how super rad is it for Sprint to have a busy signal? As much as I loathe Claire don't they know about call waiting or voicemail at least?

Pathetic.
    shallow:

Just want you to know that I was in no way against your position. Just a general comment on supporting PDA-phones.

As a matter of reference, I have been doing tech support since 1989. The level of support from companies gets worse each year (sadly).
  7.    #67  
    No sweat farzon,

so just now I got a ring! then another ring! then 4 more! then, a click, then more rings! Then someone answered, it was a phone monkey in Nebraska somewhere who had no idea that I was trying to reach this very exclusive number 'hand written' on a business card.

Rock on.
  8.    #68  
    Aight...
    So I never got through to the Sprint store so I trudged down there for a 3rd time today in the rain.

I get the techs attention when I walk in and he says he'll be right back with my phone. Couldn't even ask him what the deal was. While I'm waiting there's this mid 30's San Francisco Financial District guy in the sales chair near the mystical door where the tech monkeys live and drink jamba juice. He's looking at a T600 box and asking all kinds of questions. This is definitely the guy that farzon was talking about. He's talking about getting TWO of them. One for him and one for his wife. He's asking all kinds of questions including "Hey, so can you tell me, What is WiFi?" and could I get a WiFi card for this? Cuz I see all these hotspots at Starbucks an everything." The tech answers this one pretty straightforward saying that you wouldn't really need that with Vision. (me biting my tongue) He continues, "Oh yeah, and how about Bluetooth? Does this have bluetooth?" The tech is gone now so the sales guy mutters, "no but you could just add a bluetooth card for it." Some on this board might disagree Again, I bite my tongue. None of my business.

Now the tech comes back with my phone. "Yeah, so it wouldn't provision" he says. "You're next in line to sit with a customer service person and they can swap out your phone.

Shallow: "Can we try the provisioning here before I leave? I have my doubts that a new device will resolve the issue. In fact, I suggested it to a high level technician a few days ago who never called me back"

TechBanannaSmoothieEater: "Well you should wait for 48 hours before trying to use or provision the web <cuz by then it'll be my day off>" Ok the brackets are mine. He brachiates away and I wait.

This conversation was held within earshot of they guy looking at 600's, who sees me holding mine and asks me a direct question. "Hey so what's wrong with it?"

Whereas it wasn't my business before I felt totally justified in answering his question honestly and publicly at this point.

"Well I havenít been able to get vision to work for 3 weeks. Be careful what you get into. This is bleeding edge technology, really cool. But these people have no idea how to support it if you have a problem. They really don't. So, think twice about what you're getting into."

I left it at that. He seemed a bit deflated but was still sitting in the chair when I left. These damn gadgets, maybe we're the monkeys.

So I sit down with the CS rep who happens to be the same one I blew up at earlier in the day. She's not to happy to see me. I'm sure she dealt with all kinds of other people who are realizing how craptastic sprint service is and decided to take it out on her today. Tough taters baby doll, there's a Jamba Juice around the corner that's hiring.

Anyway she opens a new phone and gets it set up. I don't really like the fact that she was the first to touch my new phone first <sneer> but I'll have to block that out. She turns it on and it makes it's pretty sounds. "Ahhh, these things are so magical" she says to the chimp beside her. I think to myself that I wish I still felt the same way about the damn thing.

She gets the phone ringing and hands it to me. But she forgets that she left the SD dummy card in the slot and I gave her an empty one! SCORE! 1 point for Shallow!
    (For those of you keeping score it's 1 point for Shallow, 93,938,293,757 points for PCS)

The clock is ticking... how deep will this rabbit hole go?
    Thanks Shallow, enjoyed the post!
    I haven't read this entire thread, but one Q: you didn't change the number of the phone, did you?

I had a problem similar to yours with a replacement T600 when I changed the number. Sprint CS was worthless!
  11.    #71  
    Negatory E-Man.

Keep on keepin on.
    Just a thought.
    Shallow,

I wish I could help you man. I check on this post every day just to read your rants. You should do Stand-up. Are you really Dennis Leary? My sides hurt and I've got tears in my eyes from LMAO at all your comments like" white shirt monkey talks to red shirt monkey" and "she says to chimp next to her" . Dude I can barely type this post I'm laughing so hard. I almost will feel bad when you get it fixed cause the posts will end.
    I'm laughing with you, not at you!
    Have you thought about taking some bananas with you next time?
    "Get your stinkinn paws off my Vision you damn dirty apes!"
    Last edited by speclcajun; 11/06/2003 at 09:20 PM.
    Hopefully we'll get going this time. What hardware revision is this one? What hardware revision was your last one again? I found it interesting that the one I got from Handspring was Rev. C (and I had probs with it) but the one I got from Sprint a week later was Rev B (that I have currently w/no probs).
  15. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by shallow

She gets the phone ringing and hands it to me. But she forgets that she left the SD dummy card in the slot and I gave her an empty one! SCORE! 1 point for Shallow!
    (For those of you keeping score it's 1 point for Shallow, 93,938,293,757 points for PCS)
    Hmmm, yeah, I think that accident might happen in my case, too, when I am sending back the broken T600 to HS. Could use a dummy card or two for my soon-to-be-shipped Zodiac.

Well, time to go start up the laptop with the Vision card and pump some unnecessary megabytes through Sprint's network...
    OK, even though I am a T-Mobile customer, I am now a Shallow fan after spending time reading through this thread. Score again Shallow!

Go Shallow, Go!!!
    Originally posted by heberman
    Go Shallow, Go!!!
    Go, go, go!

Okay, so, yeah -- Shallow, seriously: you win, man.

I am now atheistically praying that what's-his-face's wife's boobs don't kill her and that Shallow's latest gear works properly.
    Originally posted by snerdy

-snip-

I am now atheistically praying that what's-his-face's wife's boobs don't kill her and that Shallow's latest gear works properly.
    OK, so I've been following this threat religiously (all hail Shallow!!), but I don't remember reading anything about breasts. And I'd remember.

Dan.
  19. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Hey Shallow -- any luck getting it to work?

In this other thread in the Sprint PCS forum 'bigweb2001' just reported that Sprint (those guys who make wireless easy for you!) told him/her that he/she might have to switch numbers/accounts/etc., essentially start all over again. If it was me, I'd start all over with a different carrier (and keep the number by doing the switch on 11/24).

Oliver
    What's the status?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast