Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Originally posted by shallow
    I've traveled to LA with this phone and the east bay so it's not the tower.

My old phone did have vision but it's been off since the day i got the 600 and in a drawer.

So the last tech I talked who was going to try to provision my account to one of their 600s never called me back and the 'order' that was placed hasn't arrived. I don't have time this week to deal with this mess so I'm leaving it alone for a few days. Sick of it.

I would really like to inflict pain on someone for this.

Finally on monday I got a voicemail from the sprint 'resolution department' telling me to take the phone to a sprint store to be reprogrammed. If you've read my previous posts in this thread you can imagine how thrilled I am to do that. So yesterday I left work feeling ill, stopped off at the sprint store and grabbed ticket 45. They were only on 32 so I bailed. An hour later i had a 100 degree fever.

blah
    One tech I talked to said that there are two ways to provision a phone: OTA (Over The Air) and "Over The Wire" where they hook up a cable to the phone. He suggested I try the latter. I never did since it ended up working.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I could go into a long winded personal experience with those clair loving (hello, this is clair, how may i help you?) dimwits. Sprint has far over extended its support staff; dont blame the phone monkey at the other end they have been scripted to get you off the the support line but keep you as a customer. All I can suggest is, find another provider.
  3.    #43  
    I've never bashed a phone monkey. Anytime my tone raises due to frustration I apologize to the monkey and thank them for whatever help they can offer. The person I hold responsible is some high ranking Sprint jerk*ff who is driving his SUV home from the sprint campus in Overland Park to his mansion in the newly plowed burbs at 3583th street (Johnson County humor). Earlier today he looked at their customer satisfaction numbers (toilet) and their stock (up 2.5 % today), shrugged and said 'meh'.

My 600 phone didn't come with data service it came with a subscription to the jelly of the month club. Cousin eddie, if you're out there, fire up the RV!
  4. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I don't have time this week to deal with this mess so I'm leaving it alone for a few days. Sick of it.
    Tell me about it. I carry two cellphones everywhere I go, just in case they call me back (I gave them my cell #, so when they call I can fiddle with my wife's Treo 600). People at work are as curious about this new phone as they were when I showed up with the first Palm ever. The stories I get to tell them don't sound as good, though. I think I might just print out the URL of this thread and hand that out if people ask how I like this phone.

Careful what you say ;-)

I know what you mean, though. I've thought ,more than once about driving down to the South Bay (Milpitas) to PalmOne HQ and return the Treo 600 with all the accessories (case, headphone adapter, serial cable) in person.

The sad thing is: this is how much corporate America cares about their customers. I am going through the exact same thing with Comcast right now. Cable modem has been non-functioning or intermittedly functioning for the last two weeks, and do you think they care? I bet the same call center that's operating the Sprint call center also runs the helpdesk for Comcast. Exact same BS. In the Comacast case I have just given up. Ordered SpeakEasy DSL, and will cancel Comcast this weekend.

Oliver
  5. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I've traveled to LA with this phone and the east bay so it's not the tower.

My old phone did have vision but it's been off since the day i got the 600 and in a drawer.

So the last tech I talked who was going to try to provision my account to one of their 600s never called me back and the 'order' that was placed hasn't arrived. I don't have time this week to deal with this mess so I'm leaving it alone for a few days. Sick of it.

Finally on monday I got a voicemail from the sprint 'resolution department' telling me to take the phone to a sprint store to be reprogrammed. If you've read my previous posts in this thread you can imagine how thrilled I am to do that. So yesterday I left work feeling ill, stopped off at the sprint store and grabbed ticket 45. They were only on 32 so I bailed. An hour later i had a 100 degree fever.

blah
    Updated: ignore this post; somehow BB crapped out and I ended up posting this in addition to the previous post.
  6.    #46  
    Of course I'm only joking but you're right, I should watch it.

You're right about the lack of care for customer service. It really is about empowerment. Most of the people I talk to don't have access to the information that I can find freely on the net and the result is a runaround every time. I too have to give a ho-hum review of this new phone when I'm frequently asked about it by other gadget hungry peers. This thread has passed the 4K mark in hits. That has to have made some think twice, and for good reason.
  7. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I am shocked: Handspring called and left me a voice mail, telling me they have some troubleshooting steps to go through with me.

Now if only they had called the number I had given them as my contact number, instead of my work voice mail....

Oliver
  8. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Wow, there was almost no wait on 877-426-3777. So I call them back, and despite my case # they have no clue what my problem is. The person who took my call on Monday and assigned the case number DID NOT EVEN write the number 3000 into the ticket! The guy today thus tried to walk me through *voice* provisioning. When I said "voice works, what are you talking about", he had reached the end of his troubleshooting capabilities.

When I asked to speak to a supervisor, he said "Sorry sir, they are all gone already" and claimed he's on the east coast. I was promised a call back tomorrow. I won't hold my breath...

Did anyone else notice how ironic Sprint's slogan is, the one you get to hear when you dial *2?

Sprint -- we're making wireless easy for you.

Riiigghhht.

Oliver
    Shallow:

I got my Treo 600 on the 10th of Oct. It worked great that week. Starting on the 15th, I was getting the error 3000 whenever I would attempt to connect to Vision. After about 10 attempts, I finally got a connection, but it died after about a minute. I also started having problems connecting to the sprint voice network - the phone would drop into digital roam. My home is on a fringe of the network - but I never had that problem.

On the 16th, no luck in connecting to vision (error 3000) and no luck in being able to place a call outside of digital roam. Monday, at the office, which is normally an excellent signal area - I got 1 connection the entire day, the rest of the time error 3000. Still wasn't able to make calls from Sprint - and for the first time started seeing digital roam while at work.

I called the network techs and escalated to the point where they were checking the local network. Also posted something here. They ultimately said to take the phone to a store, where I had the same run around that you did.

On Tuesday - still no joy in terms of connecting or using Sprint voice, I finally convinced a tech to send me a replacement phone (my came from Sprint directly - a warranty replacement / $$ upgrade from my 2nd broken hinged Treo 300).

Replacement phone arrived on the 20th - not a problem since then. BTW, on the 24th, I got a call from Sprint telling me that their network in my area checked out normal.

hold on for the replacement phone - I think that some rev A phones might have a hw problem. When at the local store - I was the 2nd person that day with the error 3000 problem. The replacement should fix your situation.
  10.    #50  
    Originally posted by Athos
    hold on for the replacement phone - I think that some rev A phones might have a hw problem. When at the local store - I was the 2nd person that day with the error 3000 problem. The replacement should fix your situation.
    Hope that will work. I have a rev C phone though.
  11. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

Hope that will work. I have a rev C phone though.
    Mine is C Rev, too. :-(

Oliver
    Maybe it is the revision thing.
    Mine is a Rev A that I got through Sprint Telesales. It was provisioned out of the box. I never had Vision before and this was a new line of service to my account.
  13. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    My problems even started before the whole Vision thing: when I called Sprint to give them the ESN (?) number to have the phone activated on the account (i.e., replace the old phone), the phone monkey (as someone in this thread called their support staff) couldn't get even that to work, and sent me to a PCS store.

It's really been a brilliant experience so far. Welcome to Sprint -- we make wireless a nightmare for you. :-(

Oliver
    Hey maybe it is a revision thing! The one I had at 1st was a Rev C that worked once, then never again. It was replaced at a Sprint store by a Rev. B. It initially didn't work, but now it does.

Hmm.............
    I bought the treo600 (GSM) last week and have discovered a serious bug. I reported this and apparently there is no fix and Handspring is still working on it.

When you have both GSM900 and GSM1800, and if it drops to GSM1800 because of poor coverage, it will not switch back to GSM900 although you have set it manually to GSM900. You can't reset it (to GSM900) no matter what.

If you need GPRS to do MMS/Internet, you will need to switch it to GSM900. The "fix" for now is to get another GSM phone and switch it back to GSM900 and put the SIM card back in the Treo600 and hope it will not switch back to GSM1800.

The version of my firmware is 2.01, Software: Treo600-1.05-INT, Hardware: B

Hope Handspring will release a fix soon!
  16.    #56  
    Current State of my sprint tribulation=Furious

You'll recall that at one point I was given an order number for them to send me a new 600. Last night I got a ups package from sprint. It was a bubble mailer to send back my current phone. No replacement. Fat chance I'm going to send my phone in to the obviously incompetent sprint network.

Meanwhile, you also recall that I was directed by the Sprint 'resolutions department' to take my phone to a sprint pcs store to have it manually reprogrammed.

I went in on my lunch today. here's what happened:
    Once my number was called I told the CS person that I had an ongoing problem with error 3000 for 3 weeks and that the Sprint PCS Resolution department told me to come to a PCS store for my phone to be manually reprogrammed. I gave her my phone number. She pulled up my account. "Wow" she said, no doubt at the length of my file. She red-shirted monkey takes my phone to the back. After a few minutes she comes back and says with her pseudo-expert tone, "Ok, so the reason your phone won't provision is that you have too many applications on the phone that aren't supported by Sprint." Oh. How. Furious. I. Got.
    Yes, I did get angry with her. I just couldn't help it. In any case I repeated the reason I was standing in front of her and that I wanted to speak with a manager or tech who knew what the hell they were talking about. She leaves in a huff. Too bad. Sprint has ruined too many of my days and I'm sick of being the nice guy. Maybe, sad as it may be, I need to be the squeaky wheel now. While she's gone I do a hard reset and pop out my SD card to put in my jacket. Factory Settings restored. How you like me now! A white shirted monkey comes up and REPEATS THE SAME DRIVOL AS THE RED MONKEY. I show him that I've just done a hard reset and tried to connect to the web.

white monkey to red monkey: "Ok.... write him a ticket for the phone I'll get it connected to my machine."
    Red monkey writes me a ticket, tells me it will be a half hour, that I can come back and not wait in line. "Great, Thank you"

Stay tuned...
    lol
    man that sucks man. Keep us posted 4real.
  19.    #59  
    Ok, so they said it would be a half an hour. I returned in 1 hour and was told that it would be another 15 to 20 minutes because the guy working on it stepped out. A few minutes later he comes in with a Jamba Juice (smoothie) and says, "yeah so its on my machine and in progress but it needs another 10 minutes or so."
    So, at my request, (god forbid someone at sprint would extend themselves) I got direct lines to call to check when it's done rather than wasting my time stopping by on their intervals.
    The tech did tell me that they have 600's in stock in case the reprogramming fails so even I tack on another 4 hours for vision to provision again I should have some answers before they close their store.
    By the way... THIS IS WHY carriers hate these things. I love treo, cant wait to get the 600.... BUT its crazy that carriers actually support them. Its gotta cost TONS of $$ to support these things.

Think of someone who isnt techy... and calling for support.. haha. I would hate to have to support the thing.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast