Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    OK, here's my take on this subject. This sounds very similar to my experience. I finally got a tier 2 guy who walked me through manually provisioning my phone after 2 days. We manually inserted all the settings that should have arrived over the airways. It immediately turned on. You need a tech rep who really understands the system.
  2.    #22  
    I did that with a tech on about day 2 as well. No dice. Another Treo is on it's way but a new tech called me last night. He was above a tier 2 but I'm not sure what level. He tried a few things that no one else has access to do on the network (every T2 says this) but all resulted in the big fat 3000. I'm now worred that even the new phone will not work when I get it so I suggested to the tech that he try to set up a phone he has with my vision service. Seems like the logical step to me to rule out the phone eh? He agreed with the logic but said that may go beyond what they're allowed to do. He said he'd check it out and call me today. I told him if he's unsuccessful then I'll keep the treo I get packaged up, return it unopened and they can still sell it. See! I'm even trying to save Sprint money!
    yea i was thinking that too...activate my phone under some1 else's name.

Oddly enough.......it just started working.......I tried it last night for the heck of it and surprisingly it just signed on, provisioned, and it's up & running now.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
  4. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Shallow,

my experience is EXACTLY the same as yours. NOTHING has worked, after working with Sprint for two weeks, even taking the darn thing to a store.

I now got a case number from Handspring, but so far (1 1/2 days later) no response.

Interestingly enough I, too, am in the Bay Area, and didn't have Vision service on this number before.

I tried changing the vision userid/password, but that didn't make any difference.

To make things worse: this phone is my wife's phone, and now I have to carry it around all day long in case someone from Sprint or Handspring calls and wants me to try yet another thing... and my wife just keeps saying "That's a nice phone, but can I just go back to my Kyocera 6035?" (after I have shelled out $500 for the handset and add-ons).

Oliver
    Originally posted by ocs
    Shallow,

my experience is EXACTLY the same as yours. NOTHING has worked, after working with Sprint for two weeks, even taking the darn thing to a store.

I now got a case number from Handspring, but so far (1 1/2 days later) no response.

Interestingly enough I, too, am in the Bay Area, and didn't have Vision service on this number before.

I tried changing the vision userid/password, but that didn't make any difference.

To make things worse: this phone is my wife's phone, and now I have to carry it around all day long in case someone from Sprint or Handspring calls and wants me to try yet another thing... and my wife just keeps saying "That's a nice phone, but can I just go back to my Kyocera 6035?" (after I have shelled out $500 for the handset and add-ons).

Oliver
    Man that sucks....I wish I could tell you guys what made mine start working. I have no idea what they did. Do you guys live near each other? Maybe it has something to do with a local tower??? I feel you guys' pain....it was immensely frustrating when I was experiencing it.
    Originally posted by shallow
    I did that with a tech on about day 2 as well. No dice. Another Treo is on it's way but a new tech called me last night. He was above a tier 2 but I'm not sure what level. He tried a few things that no one else has access to do on the network (every T2 says this) but all resulted in the big fat 3000.
    You may be in a data dead spot in San Francisco. They are literally all over the place. I go over one particular hill in SF, and everything cuts out. A different hill, and the data cuts out but voice works.

Get the Sprint tower map for SF at their website, drive over to 3rd street (there's tons of towers there by PacBell park) and see if it works.
  7. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    It's doubtful that Shallow and I are using the same cell tower -- I am on the peninsula, about 20 miles south of San Francisco. And of course I have tried different locations to see if that makes a difference.

3 more hrs until my next call to Handspring...

Oliver
    One more thing:

Make sure any phone that's had the same Sprint PCS phone number is POWERED OFF COMPLETELY while they are trying to provision.

That screwed me up for about 2 hours when I activated my account.
  9. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    Originally posted by bling bling

You may be in a data dead spot in San Francisco. They are literally all over the place. I go over one particular hill in SF, and everything cuts out. A different hill, and the data cuts out but voice works.
    You know, that's not the problem for me. I have a laptop with a Sprint Vision card sitting right to the phone when I talk to Sprint or Handspring, and that thing connects just fine, thank you very much. And when I went to the Sprint store, the guy who "diagnosed" the problem pulled out his little flip phone, and it could connect just fine, too.

In other words: the error may say "Error 3000 -- no data service in this area", but that's simply not always correct.

Oliver
  10. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    One more thing:

Make sure any phone that's had the same Sprint PCS phone number is POWERED OFF COMPLETELY while they are trying to provision.
    Really? That's an interesting point. I bet my wife has the Kyocera 6035 turned off (since it's not working as phone anymore anyway since I had Sprint switch the number to the Treo), but should it really matter? That old phone never had Vision data service, and the account has been switched to another ESN...

Anyway, I'll give her a call and ask her to turn it off. Oh, wait, I can't call her because *I* have her cell phone.

Oliver
    You know, I was talking to shallow, not ocs.

People trying to help you and you get snotty. That's nice.
  12. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    You know, I was talking to shallow, not ocs.

People trying to help you and you get snotty. That's nice.
    Actually, I am not getting snotty (at least not with you... with Sprint/HS on the phone is a different story): I am thankful for the tip (any tip) -- given what I've been through with Sprint so far, anything that hasn't been tried yet is worth trying.

Sorry if my response came across as snottyness.

Oliver
    Apology accepted.

First thing Sprint said to me when I activated was to turn the old phone off completely and don't turn it on again until provisioning was successful.

Was the vision card in the laptop ever related to your wife's Sprint PCS number?
  14. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

Was the vision card in the laptop ever related to your wife's Sprint PCS number?
    No, it's a totally separate account in my name (our names are different, the account numbers are different). I just use that evidence in my conversations with Sprint and/or Handspring to short-circuit the suggestion of going somewhere else (obviously, every tech support person you talk to at Sprint will first suggest that there is just no coverage because the error says it).

Anyway, with regards to the old phone, I have sent my wife an email telling her to turn the old phone off (though I bet it is turned off already).

Thanks again,
    Oliver
    Make sure the old phone is completely off, then call Sprint and ask them to re-provision the new phone.

Make sure the old phone stays completely off for the next 12 hours, and the new phone is on the entire time.
    Originally posted by ocs

You know, that's not the problem for me. I have a laptop with a Sprint Vision card sitting right to the phone when I talk to Sprint or Handspring, and that thing connects just fine, thank you very much. And when I went to the Sprint store, the guy who "diagnosed" the problem pulled out his little flip phone, and it could connect just fine, too.

In other words: the error may say "Error 3000 -- no data service in this area", but that's simply not always correct.

Oliver
    Yea I know what you mean....every1 could connect to Vision but me and my Error 3000'd Treo. No matter what they say about what the error means, it's not so in this case. It's down as a known bug for the Treo 600, but there's no immediate resolution, other than the "try again later".

Another tech also told me that sometimes the phone or the data network caches the error? I don't think there's any truth to that statement but take it for what it's worth.
  17. ocs
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    One thing you can do to trigger the reprovisioning yourself is change the password for your vision account on their website. That triggers -- within seconds typically -- a message from the network to your device. I do get that message, and it forces the device into the same provisioning process that you go through when you to the web browser the first time. It does not, for me, succeed, though (same error 3000).

Oliver
    Originally posted by ocs
    One thing you can do to trigger the reprovisioning yourself is change the password for your vision account on their website. That triggers -- within seconds typically -- a message from the network to your device. I do get that message, and it forces the device into the same provisioning process that you go through when you to the web browser the first time. It does not, for me, succeed, though (same error 3000).

Oliver
    That's true, but since the phone isn't even connecting then there's no way for it to provision. Manual provisioning doesn't work either.
  19.    #39  
    I've traveled to LA with this phone and the east bay so it's not the tower.

My old phone did have vision but it's been off since the day i got the 600 and in a drawer.

So the last tech I talked who was going to try to provision my account to one of their 600s never called me back and the 'order' that was placed hasn't arrived. I don't have time this week to deal with this mess so I'm leaving it alone for a few days. Sick of it.

I would really like to inflict pain on someone for this.

Finally on monday I got a voicemail from the sprint 'resolution department' telling me to take the phone to a sprint store to be reprogrammed. If you've read my previous posts in this thread you can imagine how thrilled I am to do that. So yesterday I left work feeling ill, stopped off at the sprint store and grabbed ticket 45. They were only on 32 so I bailed. An hour later i had a 100 degree fever.

blah
    This is probably off the wall, but...

I received a 3000 error once. Couldn't figure it out, cuz the thing had worked fine till then, and I had 4 bars on the antenna. It turns out I was ROAMING! Once I got back in Sprint's coverage (clutches?), all was well. Just a thought....
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast