Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am very mad and have been for a while regarding this. I thought I would figure it out after a while.
    But, honestly I don't think its a sprint network issue. Where is HS? When I get call waiting I can only swap. And if I actually get a call to conference (so far sprø¨ €Z¥
    did I just get cut off? there is limited txt entry when posting from treo?
    damn!
    Originally posted by Fofer
    "it works the way it's supposed to not work"
    Fixed.

Bunk this may be, friend, but it's our bunk now. ...Or yours, anyway -- I don't think I really care all that much.

Originally posted by ProDucer
    damn!
    Blast!
    Hey Fofer, I feel for you. I think the important thing is that "it works the way landlines work," but that's not to say that I don't encourage you to make your voice heard.
    Folks,

The Sprint 600 works as it should, given the way CDMA works. Let me explain.

CDMA was initially developed to overlay analog networks, and works the same way these networks do. There are two keys that the network understands -- Send and End.

GSM was developed after Analog and they thought the entire interface out better.

On GSM networks, an interface is provided to add, drop, and conference individual calls.

On analog and CDMA networks, the entire thing is done with the send and end keys.

In the case of the TREO 600, the common software works as best it can with the Sprint CDMA interface.

1) If a call comes in when you are on the phone, you get a beep, and the TREO asks if you want to answer the call. When you say yes, it sends a "send" to the network.

2) Now the TREO shows two calls, and gives you the option to SWAP or hang up all (Send and End).

3) When you hit swap it sends a "send" to the network.

4) When you Hang up all, it sends an end.

At this time, most CDMA networks will call the phone with the remaining caller if they are still on the line so you can pick it back up.

There has never been an option to conference the interrupting caller on CDMA. However, you can do this by asking them to hang up and calling them back.

Don't blame Handspring for this -- it's a CDMA thing.

BTW, CDMA has some disadvantages compared to GSM -- SIM cards are not supported, and the interface for call waiting and conferencing is not as good. At the same time, the data speeds, call clarity, and spectral efficiency are much better with CDMA. In the US, we are lucky to have it.

Glenn
    Originally posted by Glenn_Butler
    Let me explain.
    That all seems very reasonable, Glenn ...which is exactly why no one will listen to you. This is the Internet, after all, and reasonable will not be tolerated here.

Perhaps we call all let this thread lie and head over to the "Free Data With T-Mobile?" thread now. I wanna see good solid flames (nothing below the belt) -- the CDMA crowd may be losing that highly coveted "Better Data" title, but let's not let it go without making them GSM folks pay for it! Rawr!!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Originally posted by snerdy
    That all seems very reasonable, Glenn ...which is exactly why no one will listen to you. This is the Internet, after all, and reasonable will not be tolerated here.
    The explanations are all very reasonable. I certainly appreciate the discourse and enjoy understanding the situation fully.

However, all of this still doesn't change the fact that Call Waiting *doesn't work properly on Sprint's version of the Treo 600.*

Oh, great, "it works the way it was designed to work." Excellent! So how do I hang up on the second caller after talking to them briefly? Just because it's "implementation is consistent with it's design" doesn't mean it WORKS. Is there one customer out there who actually APPRECIATES how it operates now?

I'm not blaming Canada, Handspring, Sprint, or Saddam. (I guess the blame lies on the group that designed the CDMA spec and didn't have the foresight to think about how people would interface with Call Waiting in the "real world.")

In any case, I'll enjoy CDMA for it's last few dying years, take advantage of the better plans and unlimited data at higher speeds, and as soon as GSM catches up I'll jump ship to the network that was designed with future applications (and call waiting) in mind.

And maybe when I have a phone that can handle Call Waiting reliably I'll finally feel compelled to move over exclusively to cell phone and ditch my land line. Nice job, CDMA group.

Do all Sprint cell phones handle call waiting this same way? If not, then Handspring owes us an explanation. If so, how utterly... pathetic.

The purpose of this thread, in my mind, isn't to get Handspring to change anything... as apparently there's nothing they can do. Instead, I see it as a good vehicle to warn others about this potential deal-breaker. If I got lots of calls on my cell and didn't require unlimited data, I'd want to know this tidbit of information before I jumped on board and got a Sprint Treo 600. Perhaps I'd go for AT&T instead...

Just doing my share of community service folks... looking out for the not-as-early-adopters that are on our tails. After all, this is exactly the sort of thing you DON'T read in newspaper reviews, as they typically use a loaner for 3-5 days and don't really put the phone through the paces.

Originally posted by snerdy
    Perhaps we call all let this thread lie and head over to the "Free Data With T-Mobile?" thread now. I wanna see good solid flames (nothing below the belt) -- the CDMA crowd may be losing that highly coveted "Better Data" title, but let's not let it go without making them GSM folks pay for it! Rawr!!
    What good is free data if you have no signal strength which to connect?

I have done a little research here on the sprint network with a few of my friends phones.

It seems that call waiting works the same way on the treo 600 as any other sprint pcs phone, it's just that the screen on the other sprint phones doesn't show the other call.

From my testing, you may receive an incoming call via call waiting and then they have to hang up and after about a minute or less you may receive another call via call waiting. Same goes if you want to talk to the second caller, the first call has to be hung up and then you are able to receive another call via call waiting.

The screen on the treo 600 still says that the other call is on hold, which might be true if they didn't hang up, but if they did hang up you can get another call via call waiting (if you ignore that call the screen only shows the one call that you are currently on)

I think regular land line phone works very similar. I mean if the caller on call waiting doesn't hang up, they are still on "hold" and you will not be able to receive any more calls until they hang up or you are done with your orginal call.

digidep
    Last edited by digidep; 12/06/2003 at 09:35 PM.
    also, here is what the sprintpcs website says regarding call waiting:

Call Waiting, included at no extra charge in your PCS Service Plan, helps to ensure that all of your important calls get through when you are talking on the phone. When you hear the distinct Call Waiting tone, glance at the Caller ID display on your phone to see who is calling. Then you decide whether you want to switch to the new call. For calls where you don't want to be interrupted, you can temporarily disable Call Waiting by pressing *70 before placing your call.

any one have the sprint TOS, and does it say anything about call waiting in it?

digidep
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Originally posted by digidep
    From my testing, you are only able to receive one, yes one, call waiting call during any given phone conversation, regardless of whether or not the other party hangs up.
    Yes, this is because you're still connected to the other party, regardless of whether or not tthey hung up. So both your lines are occupied.
    Originally posted by Fofer

Yes, this is because you're still connected to the other party, regardless of whether or not tthey hung up. So both your lines are occupied.
    Sorry, i edited my previous post, upon a little further testing you are able to receive more than one call waiting during a call, it's just that the other callers must hang up in order to receive another call.

digidep
    Folks,

All of this is no different than call waiting has worked on analog, TDMA, and CDMA networks from the beginning. I am not understanding why some are so upset about this...?

Glenn
    Although I think the wording on the 600 call waiting screen should be changed - what I really want to figure out is how to use it.

I understand what to do if I am done with call 2 and want to go back to call 1 - just "hang up all" and call 1 will ring back to me. But what do I do if I want to get rid of call 1 and continue speaking to call 2? Thanks.
    Originally posted by kkest
    Although I think the wording on the 600 call waiting screen should be changed - what I really want to figure out is how to use it.

I understand what to do if I am done with call 2 and want to go back to call 1 - just "hang up all" and call 1 will ring back to me. But what do I do if I want to get rid of call 1 and continue speaking to call 2? Thanks.
    You cant even do that on your home phone!
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Folks,

All of this is no different than call waiting has worked on analog, TDMA, and CDMA networks from the beginning. I am not understanding why some are so upset about this...?

Glenn
    I agree, I don't get it either. As long as Sprint isn't charging you for the "phantom" minutes that are ticking away after the 2nd party hangs up, then who gives a rip?
    Of the numerous things I can think of on which to evaluate a mobile provider, this one isn't even in the top 40.
    Glenn said:
    I am not understanding why some are so upset about this...?

I think it really only becomes a big issue if you've used the Treo 270 and its 3-way calling features frequently and over a long period of time. It truly was [is] a superb way to mangae calls. Once you've had it, it's hard to not have the 3-way calling freedom and flexibility anymore...
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Originally posted by AbortRetryFail?

I think it really only becomes a big issue if you've used the Treo 270 ...
    From what I've learned in this thread, the Treo 270's superior call-waiting functionality was apparently a feature of the network on which it was supported -- not the phone itself.

Apparently the Treo 300 (a Sprint phone) would have had the same "limitations" of the Treo 600 on Sprint.

I had a Treo 270 (Cingular) and it worked the way I wanted it to. My new Treo 600 (Sprint) doesn't.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    ...this is no different than call waiting has worked on analog, TDMA, and CDMA networks from the beginning
    Interesting -- I'm working on a book and this is one of the issues I'm covering at the moment. Can someone provide me with clarity here?

Seems that the quirky style of call-waiting that affects Sprint will also affect the new Verizon Treo 600 coming out, since Verizon is TDMA. Are there any other carriers that would experience the quirky style of call-waiting?

And if I understand correctly, any GSM Treo will handle call-waiting (and conference calling) much more smoothly... so that would be T-Mobile, AT&T, Orange .. man, is there a grid of which Treos support which carriers and what technology they use?

Thanks!
    -Jeff Ishaq
    Palm OS® Certified Developer
  20.    #60  
    The above post by Glen Butler is pretty on it. At least it is the way it works for me.

On a call & 2nd call comes in
    you "click" over and talk to the other person.
    On the Treo screen you see "End All" or "SWAP" (you only see "conference" when YOU initiate the 2nd outgoing call)
    If you "End all" you essentially hang up on ONLY the person you WERE LAST talking to.
    About 10 - 15 seconds later Sprint "calls" you back with the person you were talking to FIRST.

It is clunky at best and it is funny how other CDMA phones on sprint (and I have had quite a few) don't behave the same way, or at least OUR user experience and the GUI isn't the same.

hope this helps.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast