Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    When I receive call on call waiting I often ignore it. If I forget to press ignore (I often don't like pressing the button because the call is instantly forwarded to voicemail and the caller will KNOW that you are ignoring them) and when I get another call waiting (maybe 5 minutes later) I can't check to see who it is because the darn screen is still on the original call waiting screen of the first caller asking if I should ignore or answer even if the call has long been picked up by voicemail. Did anyone ever notice this or does everyone always press the ignore button forwarding the caller instantly to voicemail?

This is yet another major flaw. HS, WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by tcjohnsson
    When I receive call on call waiting I often ignore it. If I forget to press ignore (I often don't like pressing the button because the call is instantly forwarded to voicemail and the caller will KNOW that you are ignoring them) and when I get another call waiting (maybe 5 minutes later) I can't check to see who it is because the darn screen is still on the original call waiting screen of the first caller asking if I should ignore or answer even if the call has long been picked up by voicemail. Did anyone ever notice this or does everyone always press the ignore button forwarding the caller instantly to voicemail?

This is yet another major flaw. HS, WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I actually press ignore in the T300 the call does not go away. So the same thing happens regardless of pressing or not... I had a Sanyo 3200 (not positive on the model # bought back in 99) that never had any of these problems. I had a Sony before that with out issue as well. This must be a hand sprint issue. Or the chip they used. Either way, it is very frustrating to handle calls this way!

I really don't understand why this issue has not caused more complaints than it has. Do people just live with it?

Someone with a Samsung Palm phone please chime in... Is this how calls are handled on your Palm phone?
    Originally posted by tcjohnsson
    When I receive call on call waiting I often ignore it. If I forget to press ignore (I often don't like pressing the button because the call is instantly forwarded to voicemail and the caller will KNOW that you are ignoring them)

Ok, I tested this stuff.

When you hit ignore, with Sprint, it does NOT put the person straight to VM, it let's it ring away, until it hits VM, like normal.
    If you DON'T answer/ignore, that thing stays up there forever, it seems.

Ok, so, I answered the 2nd call. Did a conference. two lines at work, and conferenced THEM too (Talk about echo!) worked fine, then did a hang up all, but my pbx kills the lines here, so.. it hung them all up oh well. At least I tied up 4 lines, and felt good about it. he he

Ok, so.. started a call(1st), called in.. (2nd)answered it, then hung up the 2nd line(from work) the call went away, but still showed up on my list, called it back, and it rang again, good. This was my biggest fear, I know that if I have 2 people on, everyone else goes to VM, but just wanted to make sure that I could receive a call when one dropped off. The display seemed unclear, ya know?

So it seems like it's handing calls ok. I little Kludgy, but workable. I'll just say bye, swap them, then check back a few seconds later to make sure their gone. Good to know about the hangup all issue. Only problem... what if I want to stay with the 2nd person, and drop the first??

You know, looking at the screen, on this coool little "handheld computer" as they call it, you would think there would be a coool program to handle calls. Like a switchboard. Multiple lines, calls on hold, xfer to voicemail, conference that can drop off certain lines. ok, two lines is enuf, and prolly too much for most users. But are we most users? Oh no. I'd pay my 29.99 for Phone 2.0
    -Treo 600 on Sprint
    I think this must be an issue with the Sprint version. Isn't the GSM version supposed to have up to five-way conference calling? My current GSM phone let's me pick who I want to hang up on. I hope I won't lose this feature. It also seems like this wasn't an issue with the Treo 270, but it was with the 300.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Originally posted by RMitch
    I think this must be an issue with the Sprint version. Isn't the GSM version supposed to have up to five-way conference calling? My current GSM phone let's me pick who I want to hang up on. I hope I won't lose this feature. It also seems like this wasn't an issue with the Treo 270, but it was with the 300.
    Yeah, it might be a Sprint issue -- I didn't have this issue on my Cingular Treo 270.

This is a step in the wrong direction. But the unlimited data, and better data speeds (and services) make Sprint a more attractive choice to me.

Even if it's bad UI, as long as it acts consistently and I don't lose a caller when a 2nd one comes in, I'll be okay. But I find it remarkable that this has been "accepted" by Sprint customers for so long. Don't you people get calls on your cell phones? Don't you juggle callers and decide who to keep/let go?

It's just weird to me that a bigger stink hasn't been made about how weirdly Sprint handles this.
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Originally posted by RMitch
    This is definitly an issue with Sprint. I am not sure of the details, but it has to do with how they implement CDMA. I imagine that the GSM 600's will operate like the current 180's and 270's (or eveny better, i.e. 5 way conferencing.) This is one of the reasons that I switched from Sprint to Tmobile.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Originally posted by dbregman

This is definitly an issue with Sprint. I am not sure of the details, but it has to do with how they implement CDMA. I imagine that the GSM 600's will operate like the current 180's and 270's (or eveny better, i.e. 5 way conferencing.) This is one of the reasons that I switched from Sprint to Tmobile.
    I will say this: my Cingular Treo 270 handled call-waiting better (ie: I had the ability to hang up on just one caller at a time) -- but once out of every 5-7 occurences, when a 2nd call came in, and I tried to answer it, the phone would crash and I had to do a soft reset. This happened on the three Treo 180's I had and the two Treo 270's.

So perhaps Sprint's method is just some extra form of protection so that sort of glitch doesn't happen?

Either way, I'm unhappy with this surprise. It's better than crashing, I suppose, but HANG UP ALL just makes so little sense to me on a "next generation" phone and a "next generation" cell phone network.

5-way conference calling? Come on, how many times will you guys really USE this? (Except today when you test it out for the first time.) But call-waiting; damn, I use that every day, many times a day.

Still, with a phone like this, Sprint's unlimited data plan, and superior download speed, makes it a better choice for me. I compared the speeds head-to-head, and despite all the promises with GPRS, the Sprint connection positively *smoked* Cingular's. No comparison! Sprint connects faster, and gets email faster, and downloads web pages faster... all the while Cingular is struggling on "Connecting to Wireless Express."

The bad news is it doesn't look like this CAN be fixed with "Phone 2.0." It's almost like it's a weakness with Sprint's "2nd line" implementation.

I guess this is one "con" amidst many "pros." Ah the cutting edge, sometimes it makes ya bleed.
    Originally posted by nmotion

Ok, I tested this stuff.

When you hit ignore, with Sprint, it does NOT put the person straight to VM, it let's it ring away, until it hits VM, like normal.
    I get Voice mail instantly (and also get the same on my T300) when I hit the "ignore" button on the screen. I am suprised you don't nmotion.
    Originally posted by aacnyc

I get Voice mail instantly (and also get the same on my T300) when I hit the "ignore" button on the screen. I am suprised you don't nmotion.
    I get the same results as nmotion. If on ring # 1 I hit ignore on my t300 then the call will remain for the approximate amount of time required for 4 rings, then it goes to VM. Granted, when the call actually hits VM I get the notification pretty dang fast!

Again, Why is it that people don't seem to care much about this poor functionality? People are reading the topic, but were not getting posts from people that are satisfied with the experience, or think were just nuts!

Are people happy with this? Is call waiting and 3 way calling just not used that much by most visitors to Treocentral?
    Originally posted by ferrarinu

I get the same results as nmotion. If on ring # 1 I hit ignore on my t300 then the call will remain for the approximate amount of time required for 4 rings, then it goes to VM. Granted, when the call actually hits VM I get the notification pretty dang fast!

Again, Why is it that people don't seem to care much about this poor functionality? People are reading the topic, but were not getting posts from people that are satisfied with the experience, or think were just nuts!

Are people happy with this? Is call waiting and 3 way calling just not used that much by most visitors to Treocentral?
    Strange that you get something different or that i get something different. But I couldn't agree with you more on the call waiting aspect of this and the 3 way calling issues. HS put this T600 out as a phone first and palm second (at least that's what Jeff Hawkins says in his interview). DONT they use their own product. They MUST have seen this right away. I had this horrible problem from day 1 of my T300 a year ago and waited for HS to come up with a fix. Then I thought it (the fix) would just be on the T600, and obviously.......
    Originally posted by ferrarinu

When I actually press ignore in the T300 the call does not go away. So the same thing happens regardless of pressing or not...
    Not so on my t600. I've done tests several times and as soon as I press the ignore button, the phone call is forwarded to VM within approx 1 ring. It's pretty consistent. If I don't press the VM button, the phone will ring for about 5 times before VM picks up. I dunno, maybe the Sprint network operates a little differently, depending on where you are.
    Bumpage!

There has got to be a more elegant solution for this. I have yet to try the backspace thing, but I want to make sure Handspring is aware of this.

Now where is that Handspring rep?

Has anyone emailed HS or Sprint about this??
    I tested this on my T-Mobile T6 and when receiving a second call, if I answer, can then SWAP between the two calls, with the option of hanging up either of the two. I can also then conference the two calls. Once conferenced, I have the option to add additional calls (up to five I assume) I did not add my 4rth outgoing call. I pressed the conference button from both the conference and the active outgoing call but the phone would not add the outgoing call to the conference. Once in the conference my only option was to hang-up on all. Callers that hang-up or that I choose to hang-up on (in this case in a call waiting mode) are dropped. Also, callers that hang-up on me are dropped.

I will have a look at the manual concerning this. I think I should be able to add a 4rth call to the conference.
    http://www.pdaology.com

the web directory for pda and phone-enabled sites. over 1000 sites in the directory!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    On Sprint you don't have that option. It's Swap, or Hang Up All.

By far, the most egregious flaw in an otherwise good PDAphone. I point this out to everyone who expresses interest in the phone. If you receive a lot of calls on your cell phone, this is a BONA FIDE deal-breaker for the Sprint Treo 600.

However, the"free" unlimited data I get on my $100 plan sorta kinda makes up for it. But not entirely.

I absolutely, positively cannot believe Sprint/Handspring released a cell phone that can't handle call waiting appropriately. What is this, 1993?

Hold the PictureMail, take back the "ringer downloads," and take care of CALL WAITING for crying out loud!
    My guess is that for the majority of Sprint users out there, they simply don't see anything wrong with the way Sprint handles 3-way/call waiting. (This topic really has to do with carrier implementation and not so much with Handspring's interface to the network, so any complaining people do should go towards Sprint and not Handspring.)

When I got service with Sprint four years back, my phone behaved exactly as I had always known phones to behave. That is, if I got a call waiting notification, I would have to do the mobile analog of quickly depressing and releasing the hook (or pressing the "flash" button for the slightly fancier phones) on my landline. Same way with initiating a 3-way conversation. Dial the first party, connect, flash, dial the second party, connect, flash, and we're all conferenced in. If you were answering an incoming call while on the line, you couldn't selectively drop the incoming call. You can flash back to the original call, but it's up to the network to decide if the second call has ended or not, which means it's up to the incoming caller to hang up.

I've even seen in landline-land the behavior described where you have answered an incoming call and then hang up on all calls by placing the receiver back on the hook (not flashing it) but the phone rings back with the original caller. It's the behavior of the network, not your phone.

I upgraded to a Treo 300 last year, and the only noticeable difference I saw in operating the phone was that you now had multiple buttons that perform the same action, but in different contexts--"hang up," "swap," "answer incoming"... etc. Since they all just basically do the same thing but are named according to the task the user wants to perform, there are limitations as to what you can do. Like I said, this is simply the way POTS behaves, and it's the way Sprint's network behaves.

So why don't more people complain? It's because it's not broken in the first place. Or, if you don't believe that, it's because most people think it works the way it's supposed to.

If you're worried about getting billed incorrectly because your call timer's still running on an incoming call waiting call that's long since ended, check your bill. I seem to recall similar worries surfacing in the alt.cellular.sprintpcs newsgroup awhile back, and the consensus was that the billing goes through correctly even though your phone might be counting away. This was before the Treo existed! It's not your phone that's broken.

Why can you do things like selectively end a particular line on a multi-way call or conference calls in on GSM? Most likely because that's the way the GSM reqs were specified.

Honestly, that's why you don't see a lot of people complaining, or that it doesn't seem to be a big deal to most people. If you want Sprint's behavior to change, well, I guess you'll have to somehow influence the design of CDMA protocols; if the specifications aren't to blame, then you'll have to get Sprint to change their implementation of the specs...
    Last edited by cathartic; 12/05/2003 at 12:14 AM.
    Ok here is an issue that is related to what everyone is talking about. I started this in another thread, but this thread is getting more views.

If you are on a call and you don't answer a call you can't dial 3 way.

So say I am on a call with sprint and they have me on hold for an hour and someone calls, but at that time I am talking to someone and can't click over. I can not dial 3 way and call that person back until after I hang up my call. I have Sprint, so can anyone verify if this is a Sprint issue or a Treo issue?
    So basically what we've got is:

GSM service: 2 points
    (real text messaging)
    (better handling of multiple calls)

Sprint service: 1 point
    (faster data)

Out of those, the text messaging and data situations might change in the near(ish) future.

...I understand the situation about how Sprint handles multiple calls, and I guess I can live with it, I just like the GSM system better on this topic. -sigh-
  18.    #38  
    Originally posted by Aegeas
    Bumpage!

There has got to be a more elegant solution for this. I have yet to try the backspace thing, but I want to make sure Handspring is aware of this.

Now where is that Handspring rep?

Has anyone emailed HS or Sprint about this??
    What is the "backspace" thing??

I believe we are beginning to see it may be a Sprint issue, since GSM Treo users have a different experience, so in an effort to find a workable solution either with button presses or third party software, let's post how we are dealing with this.

What do you do?

thanks
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    This whole notion that "it works the way it's supposed to work," quite frankly, is bunk.

Scenario: I'm on call #1, and another call (#2) comes in.

I accept call #2, greet the caller and take care of business, and tell them I'm on the other line, can I call them back later? They say "Sure, bye," and then they hang up.

At this point, the interface only gives me the option to Swap Calls, and therefore go back to call #1. Regardless of if caller #2 actually hung up or not, the call timer ticks away. I experience this everyday. Many times, after about 15 minutes of two call timers ticking away, I will swap back over to call #2 (a call I hung up on about 13 minutes ago!) and I hear a DIAL TONE. Not a dead line, but a DIAL TONE. Indicating that it's still a live call.

I suppose I could set up a deliberate experiment to test whether or not we're being billed for the remaining 13 minutes of this "live" call, but even if we're not billed (which would be a relief for sure) the user interface and "experience" of call waiting is 100% broken on the Sprint Treo 600 (and perhaps more Sprint PCS phones in general?)

I recognize this might be "part of the CDMA spec" but then the CDMA spec is poorly thought out and not appropriate considering how people use call waiting these days. I would never feel comfortable forgoing a land line for a PCS cell phone if I had to put up with this crap. Since it's a CDMA issue and not a Handspring software issue, I suppose pigs would fly sooner than we could actually effect any change. So for now, venting in here is the best way to alleviate the tension. Perhaps if we complained enough and warned others of this problem, Sprint would take notice and do something about it? On the other hand, in a year from now when I'm ready to switch, maybe the GSM carriers will have similar "unlimited data" plans (perhaps with faster throughput) and then I can say goodbye to CDMA.

For now, how do I deal with it? I rarely give out my cell phone number. Sounds drastic, but this way I don't have to deal with interruptions and calls that I don't initiate. People call my office and leave voicemail there. The few VIPs and family members that have my cell phone number know that it is (and treat it as) a privelege, only to be used for emergencies.

Secondly, when I'm on the phone and a 2nd call comes in, hopefully with Caller ID information, I feel compelled to it "ignore" the call -- so I can return it after I'm done with call #1. This way I don't have to deal with this broken call-waiting crap.

If no caller ID information is displayed, I have no choice but to pick up, talk quickly, swap back to the other, talk quickly, and then Hang Up All.

It's sad, really. Such a great phone and such killer technology -- hampered by a boneheaded glitch.
    Supposedly if you are in a call and want to hang it up to take another call you can hit your backspace key rather than hit the "Hangup All" button that you will see on the screen of your Treo. I have yet to try it, so take that for what it is worth.

Aegeas
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast