Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. randyg's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
       #1  
    for all you naysayers that supposedly know what you're talking about, read this:
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/GS...00_NOT_Delayed
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
  2. #2  
    What does it mean?

    Was someone - some "naysayer" - wrong about something?

    "A few weeks" sounds like November, maybe even mid-November.

    Isn't it supposed to be here NOW?

    What happened to those UK TREO 600s?

    Why did Ingram's well-documented-right-here web page changes flip-flop so much?

    I wonder who that "Handspring spokeman" was. I wonder what words he/she ACTUALLY used.

    I wonder what's going on.

    Don't you?
  3. treoo0's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    #3  
    "A handspring spokesman?" Come on now. I can call handspring right now, and they will tell me the same thing..."A couple of weeks."

    They have been saying that for at least one week! This is the worst attempt at containing the "rumors" I believe I've ever seen. If that one article makes you feel more comfortable, so be it. I really hope you are right!...I want the freakin' thing now.

    treoo0
  4. #4  
    To give Handspring SOME credit - they always said on their web site "late fall" and, like it or not, "late fall" is BY DEFINITION at LEAST half way into Fall - and that means November onward.

    Of course, they're STILL saying "available" and we've now all irrefutably seen what "available" means to Handspring...
  5. #5  
    they've been saying a "couple of weeks" for a month...

    also- they do not have carrier approval or final contracts from any gsm carrier...you know how long it takes to get a contract like that through legal?
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by SeldomVisitor
    To give Handspring SOME credit - they always said on their web site "late fall" and, like it or not, "late fall" is BY DEFINITION at LEAST half way into Fall - and that means November onward.

    Of course, they're STILL saying "available" and we've now all irrefutably seen what "available" means to Handspring...
    No. I don't give them credit. NONE.

    Because I heard Dubinsky's call, just as you did. She said at the time that the Sprint launch had occurred, that the carrier specific GSMs would be out "shortly" and the unlocked GSMs would be out "by the end of the month".

    Which means that between the Oct 6 Sprint launch and the end of the month was the time for the T-Mo capable units to start selling.

    We won't even touch the Mission Possible comments that we heard repeated about how Sprint would launch the week fo 10/6, T-Mo the week of 10/13 and Cingular probably 10/20.

    The week of 10/13 is gone and finished. Now is the week of the 20th. Let's see what happens.

    I consider the T-Mo availability already late based upon what we heard coming out of MP.

    If it doesn't come out this week via the website, they've blown it.

    If it does, they scrape by.
  7. #7  
    agree^^^
  8. treoo0's Avatar
    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    #8  
    Someone in my office just told me their Sprint contact said the GSM delay is because of low stock. He said this is because of the "Month-Long" vacation most European's get.

    Could this be true? Anyone know where the GSM T600 is manufactored? If so, what holiday falls around this time (and why the h@ll can't US workers get a month off!?!)
  9. #9  
    LOL ... that is a funny attempt at a coverup article. GEEZ ... that made me laugh.
  10. #10  
    That's silly. If the phones are being made by a European company that takes a 1-month summer vacation, that would have been in the schedule, it would not have caused a delay, and not in October.
  11. #11  
    Besides, aren't these assembled in Mexico?
  12. #12  
    Just to make the point that GSM stock is now available in the UK on Orange and I've had no problems with mine in the 5 days I had it so far.

    Thus any outstanding issues in the US are likely to be carrier related and not a reflection on the GSM version itself
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
  13. purpleX
    purpleX's Avatar
    #13  
    Tick, tock, while the crowd is arguing if GSM is late or not, motorola mpx200 starts selling at amazon for $149 with contract.
    http://msmobiles.com/news.php/1496.html

    boy this is going to be ugly. And nagel says they controls 70-75%
  14. randyg's Avatar
    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
       #14  
    Originally posted by purpleX
    Tick, tock, while the crowd is arguing if GSM is late or not, motorola mpx200 starts selling at amazon for $149 with contract.
    http://msmobiles.com/news.php/1496.html

    boy this is going to be ugly. And nagel says they controls 70-75%
    Umm, if you'll actually read the link you provided, you'll see that the mpx200 is NOT Palm based. I don't think folks would be reading these forums if they're interested in a MS based phone.
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
  15. BNelson's Avatar
    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #15  
    Originally posted by randyg


    Umm, if you'll actually read the link you provided, you'll see that the mpx200 is NOT Palm based. I don't think folks would be reading these forums if they're interested in a MS based phone.
    You seriously think this?! I own a PPC Phone Edition (TMobile) and a SPV that runs the MS Smartphone OS...and I read this forum daily.

    The Treo is a phone, so I'd think anyone who's addicted to phones and/or PDA's would be interested...don't underestimate the audience here.

    Also, it IS apparent that Handspring has screwed up somewhere in the communication. Yes, it was always stated on their site as "Late Fall," but all of the latest press/events were cluing into a unlocked/US GSM version available by now.

    I don't think I'm even interested in the T600 anymore, to be honest.

    And, yes...I think that $149 Motorola will appeal to many people. It's getting better reviews on performance than my SPV, that's for sure.
  16. #16  
    Originally posted by treoo0
    Someone in my office just told me their Sprint contact said the GSM delay is because of low stock. He said this is because of the "Month-Long" vacation most European's get.

    Could this be true? Anyone know where the GSM T600 is manufactored? If so, what holiday falls around this time (and why the h@ll can't US workers get a month off!?!)
    I beleive that most of Europe holidays in August. My CDMA Treo600 says assembled in Mexico, but I am sure the components come from the Far East.

    I really do feel bad your you guys waiting for the GSM model. Seems like the case and the radio are the biggest differences in the 2 models, seems like they would be assembled on the same assembly line.

    Have patience, this thing is worth waiting for.
    Carl
  17. willp2's Avatar
    Posts
    115 Posts
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    #17  
    Originally posted by randyg
    ... I don't think folks would be reading these forums if they're interested in a MS based phone.
    I am a long time Pocket PC user and would love to stay with that platform, but I want something integrated, and with a keyboard. At the moment this is the only game in town that does all the things I'm after.

    So I'm here reading and participating because of what the phone does and is and not because what OS runs on it. Not everyone feels some kind of loyalty to the OS or company behind it, my concern is purely what can get the job done best for me.

    As these platforms mature, I think we'll see them being more similar than different. This week itís pretty clear that the 600 with the Palm OS is at the top of the heap. Next week, who knows?
  18. #18  
    Originally posted by randyg
    for all you naysayers that supposedly know what you're talking about, read this:
    http://www.brighthand.com/article/GS...00_NOT_Delayed
    I think this is called friendly spin. One has to admit HS has been very artful in its use of language.

    That said, "This is the current real-time availability of Item #BC32287 as of Monday, October 20, 2003 7:11:05 PM Eastern Time." BLT is expecting 785 units on 11/03/03. You can see it at the bottom of:

    http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...R_ID=!ORDERID!

    Am I wrong to assume that HS is marginally less likely to lie to a distributor of hundreds of units who is feeding a family off of this?
  19. #19  
    Originally posted by whmurray


    I think this is called friendly spin. One has to admit HS has been very artful in its use of language.

    That said, "This is the current real-time availability of Item #BC32287 as of Monday, October 20, 2003 7:11:05 PM Eastern Time." BLT is expecting 785 units on 11/03/03. You can see it at the bottom of:

    http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/...R_ID=!ORDERID!

    Am I wrong to assume that HS is marginally less likely to lie to a distributor of hundreds of units who is feeding a family off of this?
    The dates from the link you posted have changed a few times already in the past couple of weeks. So I wouldn't count that links info as the end all and be all for the GSM release date.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love for that date to be correct.
  20. #20  
    Just got off the phone with a TMO CSR.

    She said the Treo 600 is now listed in their system and that the manual is now availble in the system to CSRs.

    She pointed out that there is no hard date, but, that typically "lots of stuff" gets released 2 weeks prior to Thanksgiving in order to kick off the shopping season. That's what was done with the 270 last year, more or less. She put me on hold to get better information and all she could add was that T-Mobile will "definitely" carry the device and probably release it before Thanksgiving (2 weeks). She added that HS would be selling it before then as they did with the 270.

    She was the most focused of the CSRs I've spoken to at TMO and truly made an effort to dig into this a bit. She's worked there for 4 years and apparently knew where to navigate to find the manual.

    FWIW.
    Last edited by elysian9; 10/20/2003 at 07:03 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions