Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    has anyone tried out the stereo headphones from handspring? I know they may not be out yet.
    Just got them today from MobilePlanet. They seem to work fine. Its nice not to have to carry the adapter (what I was using up through today) that is outrageous in size around and doesn't seem to fit right in the 600. The connection to the headphones is good and the sound quality is fine. Now if I could only find a decent case for the phone, the headphones and some SD cards, I'd be set.
    But they don't have a microphone, correct?
    Palm III > Treo 300 > Treo 600.B
    That is correct. No mic. simple headphones that are decent for listening to MP3's on the phone.
    Damn. I just ordered these thinking they had a mic.
    Why is it the standard headset can't be used to listen to music? Granted it would only come through which ever ear you had the headset in... but in a pinch that would he a heck of a lot better than nothing, or having to cary around 2 sets of headphones.
    What happens when you are listening to MP3's and you receive a phone call? Do you hear the ring in the earphones, or just the handset ringer? And do you hear the phone call in both ears, or just one? Does the music mute, drop in volume, or continue as before?
    Originally posted by scrinch
    What happens when you are listening to MP3's and you receive a phone call? Do you hear the ring in the earphones, or just the handset ringer? And do you hear the phone call in both ears, or just one? Does the music mute, drop in volume, or continue as before?
    When I'm listening to PTunes and a call comes in:
    - PTunes pauses the MP3
    - I hear the ring tone through the headset
    - If I answer, I can carry on a conversation through the Treo's mike and the headset (which actually works OK, even at a distance)

After the call, PTunes doesn't automatically start up again... Hmmm... This should be a feature request :-)
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    The headset for a Nokia 8310 mobile phone (Headset model HDD-1) can be used by the Handspring Treo 600, and the microphone built onto them works absolutely fine as well, I use them on mine to listen to MP3s and take phone calls. There are, however, two points to consider if you are thinking of trying them:

1) The sound quality through them is really really good, however, even though sound comes through both earpieces, the headset appears to be mono, as one channel of stereo sound never plays. If, like me though, this doesnt really bother you then these headsets will be fine.

2) Whilst the mic on them works absolutely fine for calls (and is actually really good quality - no complaints from people on the other end of the line when talking to them), the Answer/End calls button does not work, so you will have to use the phone to answer and end the calls.

For my purposes, these headsets (which I had laying around from my old 8310) work fine and are a way of listening to my MP3s at a decent sound quality without having to shell out 30 for the handspring ones which dont even have a mic on them.
    "Yay though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil... cause I have a big stick! And I am the meanest mutherf***er in the valley!" -Deep Blue Sea
    I did not know the Treo mic will work and you can take calls with a stereo headset.. I knew it rings and you can hear through it. That is a good feature.

As far as that Nokia headset mentioned, I am stil waiting for a true stereo headset, that will do the same thing as the others and ring, but has a BUILT INLINE mic and will let you take calls and hang with an inline button.

They get that headset and I am there.

Still no sign of anything like it.

Mike
    Do a search for them here. I recall that they are producing true stereo headphones that will also answer calls and specifically designed for the T600. December?
    Yeah there's been lots of discussions about this, including the possiblity of one from Skullcandy and also of one being worked on by PC-mobile (who is just waiting on getting a GSM treo to test with). That one would be retractable as well.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...kullcandy.html
    Chaser81, can you elaborate on whether your setup is receiving it's mic signal from the Built-in mic, or from the mic on the headset accessory?

I'm not sure if it's just your answer/end button that is not working. It wasn't made clear in other threads either.

Try listening to P-Tunes, and receiving a call. Then rub your finger over the accessory mic hole, then rub your finger over the mic hole on the back of the T600. Which one is actively being used to provide a mic signal?
    jello
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Just tried your test. Its picking up sound from the mic on the phone. DAMN!!!!
    "Yay though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil... cause I have a big stick! And I am the meanest mutherf***er in the valley!" -Deep Blue Sea
    There are so many misconceptions about this, it's ridiculous. But it is physically impossible without software modification. You CANNOT get 4 signals from a 3 pole jack. You NEED FOUR signals to drive what you want...You need a LEFT speaker signal. You need a RIGHT speaker signal. You need a Mic Signal. And you need a GROUND signal. Add it up, and you have one too many signals for the jack that they've decided to adopt. I'll do a blurb on what I think is going on in a separate thread.
    jello
    Originally posted by jellolee
    There are so many misconceptions about this, it's ridiculous. But it is physically impossible without software modification. You CANNOT get 4 signals from a 3 pole jack. You NEED FOUR signals to drive what you want...You need a LEFT speaker signal. You need a RIGHT speaker signal. You need a Mic Signal. And you need a GROUND signal. Add it up, and you have one too many signals for the jack that they've decided to adopt. I'll do a blurb on what I think is going on in a separate thread.
    what about making use of the hotsync connector instead of the earpiece jack? could that be achieved?
    so it seems impossible to have everything in one. why not just skip the *stereo* part, and just split the mono line into both ears? would that be possible?
    Originally posted by inspecta gadget
    so it seems impossible to have everything in one. why not just skip the *stereo* part, and just split the mono line into both ears? would that be possible?
    NOT really.

To add to some confusion, if you split the sound to both ears, you are STILL USING A HEADSET. With a headset inserted, you cannot listen to any audio (MP3) through the earbud, it comes out of the phone speaker !

It was a very weird, if not stupid, design and did not take into consideration of practical use of both phone and audio.

A bit of advice to the designer of the next - use a 4-pole jack!
    http://pc-mobile.net
    Originally posted by jellolee
    I'm not an electrician but from the attached picture taken from Treo 600 Development Guide seems to be possible to have a stereo headset with a microphone. What you can't do is to listen to stereo and use the microphone at the same time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    He's right. The HEADSET would have to do the logic on whether you are on a call or not...maybe a switch to go from music to phone mode.

I will disagree with almost all of you and say that HANDSPRING'S HEADPHONE PORT DESIGN IS PURE GENIUS! It CAN switch from stereo to headset mode with only 3 pins...brilliant. The thing is that the headset needs to be able to switch.

Yes, such a thing can be done with 4 poles, but 4 pole is a nonstandard design. Also, if a stereo headphones+mic were made, it would be so low volume and pretty expensive.

With the old treo, everyone complained about the 4pole headset...now it is 3 and people complain more. HS has done an awesome job with the headphone port with its built in logic...maybe everyone needs to blame the headset makers?

Now, a stereo+mic thing can be done, but the headset makers need to implement either:
    A. a switch to change modes
    B. an IC that will switch to mic when it notices that the Right signal changes from an output to a mic channel.

Summary: HS has done well, you guys need to blame the headset makers!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast