Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by steven975
    He's right. The HEADSET would have to do the logic on whether you are on a call or not...maybe a switch to go from music to phone mode.

I will disagree with almost all of you and say that HANDSPRING'S HEADPHONE PORT DESIGN IS PURE GENIUS! It CAN switch from stereo to headset mode with only 3 pins...brilliant. The thing is that the headset needs to be able to switch.

Yes, such a thing can be done with 4 poles, but 4 pole is a nonstandard design. Also, if a stereo headphones+mic were made, it would be so low volume and pretty expensive.

With the old treo, everyone complained about the 4pole headset...now it is 3 and people complain more. HS has done an awesome job with the headphone port with its built in logic...maybe everyone needs to blame the headset makers?

Now, a stereo+mic thing can be done, but the headset makers need to implement either:
    A. a switch to change modes
    B. an IC that will switch to mic when it notices that the Right signal changes from an output to a mic channel.

Summary: HS has done well, you guys need to blame the headset makers!
    I agree the jack is a clever design IF the necessary goods (setereo headset with mic) was also made to accompany it at the same time. But where is it?

A 3-pole phone headset is a standard design. So pelople complained when Treo came up with a 4-pole one (and it was only mono). Though Nokia has been using a 4-pole one for a long time. But it is is non-standard.

A 4-pole stereo headset with mic IS almost a standard design. At least half dozen other PDA/phones are using it - T-Mobile/XDA, Kyocera 7135, Hitachi G1000, Sony P800, SPV/Tanager/Qtek, Mio 8380 etc. Do you know that?

I think Handspring just has to be different for difference sake. Even the Palm hardware is slightly different from other Palm. There were differences even within the Visor ranges and not all Palm software run on all Handsprings.
    http://pc-mobile.net
    I agree that HS made a clever design...but one that creates headaches, at least temporarily. But actually the only situation that doesn't work very well now is when you want to listen to MP3's with your phone in your pocket or case. When the phone is out on the table or on the seat next to you there is no need for a wired microphone....the speakerphone mic seems to work just fine (as some of us have embarrassingly found out!).

To carry steven975's suggestion one step further, why not make a stereo headset-handsfree combination that manually switches from one mode to the other...but that also answers/hangs-up when you switch modes? I'm sure a slider switch could be designed that grounds the tip lead while switching between the mic and left speaker contacts. PC-Mobile...could that work?
    just found out that with the standard earpiece from the box, you can listen to music by pressing and holding the answer/off button!! (when calls come in, you can actually release and press the button again to answer and end calls!)

I just can't understand why doesn't HS just add a little switch to short the ground and the mic, so we'll be able to use the stand earpiece to at least answer calls and listen to songs!!! definately a no-brainer job!!

I wish if they can make use of the connector at the bottom to make one that with stereo, mic, answer/hangup button and volume control (with radio and frequency control and that would be my dream come true). and make the plug just the like those new nokia type, firm and slim.. instead of using the normal jack again!!!

what more could you ask from an earpiece!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vkchengm
    just found out that with the standard earpiece from the box, you can listen to music by pressing and holding the answer/off button!! (when calls come in, you can actually release and press the button again to answer and end calls!)

I just can't understand why doesn't HS just add a little switch to short the ground and the mic, so we'll be able to use the stand earpiece to at least answer calls and listen to songs!!! definately a no-brainer job!!

I wish if they can make use of the connector at the bottom to make one that with stereo, mic, answer/hangup button and volume control (with radio and frequency control and that would be my dream come true). and make the plug just the like those new nokia type, firm and slim.. instead of using the normal jack again!!!

what more could you ask from an earpiece!!!

Hi, I just tried that and it worked after a second delay. Nifty. In fact all the mobile sounds came through the ear-bud. It must the same software hack employed by "Freedom" made by Toysoft. Neet trick but would be nice if someone could write a small, free util that would not only swtiched the audio output and did so automatically when the ear-piece was plugged in but also disabled the keyboard beeps

-S
    Palm M100 --> GSM Treo 600 --> GSM Treo 650 --> GSM Treo 680
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12