1.    #1  
    My Treo 600 arrived with the display askew to the left (like a 1/16th inch black bar to the right of the screen). It appears that the full screen is showing, not cut off or anything.

Handspring says this is normal. Are any other peoples Treo 600's like this? I never saw this in any of the pictures of the unit.
    I have this same thing. I find it to be rather ugly. I am considering sending my unit back because of it.
    http://www.Humanjeans.net
    Originally posted by damantoknow
    I have this same thing. I find it to be rather ugly. I am considering sending my unit back because of it.
    I think you'll find that everyone has the same 'design' - there are numerous thread on the subject. The general concensus is that it is to allow space for the backlights. If you're planning to send it back for a replacement, I wouldn't bother, as the replacement will be the same.
    There have been many discussion about this. It's normal. They are all like this.
    Sean Dotson, PE
    http://www.sdotson.com
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by damantoknow
    I called them to see about sending back, but Handspring tech support said this was "Normal"? That is why I am trying to find out if they were BS'ing me or not.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by sdotson
    There have been many discussion about this. It's normal. They are all like this.
    Thanks...I did a search first but could not find this subject in the threads yet. Sorry if this was a duplication of the subject
    Go to the HS site, click on support, select support for the T600, then click on FAQs. In the very long list you will find an entry which discusses the offset screen. HS says that this was an intrentional design 'feature' to accomodate the components in the given form factor.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks all for your input and pointing out the "official" answer (from Treo Support Site):

Why is my Treo 600 screen slightly off-center? Is it defective?

Nope. We designed it that way. All Treo 600 screens are slightly off-center (to the left).

The screen: size vs. symmetry
    In order to design the Treo 600 as one of the most compact smartphones ever created, we had to squeeze the screen, along with all the other components, into a space of 4.4 x 2.4 x 0.9 inches. Rather than make the device symmetrical (and larger), we nudged the screen less than a quarter of an inch off-center, in order to accommodate the other components in minimal space.

During the design phase, our hardware designers toyed with increasing the width of the plastic casing along the right side of the screen (thus centering the screen in a plastic square that was slightly wider on the right), or making the device itself larger, but they didn't like the way that looked. We went with the more attractive option.

Is it a defect?
    No, this has been part of the Treo 600 specification from very early in the design phase.

Our product designers decided on a form factor that maximized the space available in an amazingly compact package. We think they did a fantastic job.
    I don't mind the offset, but the HS explanation sounds like BS to me.

The way I see it, at least it leaves space for HS to upgrade with a bigger screen.
    I still think it is indeed a design defect that they are trying to cover up.

It IS indeed a problem. When trying to select text in a word processing program (I'm using pedit), it's hard to select the left most letter of words on the left side of the screen (when doing cut and paste procedures)

It looks like they modded the hanspring memo program so the letters don't use all the screen space (what a waste) just to cover up the above problem (look at the memo app on an older pda, the text goes up to the very left pixel).

Try out the demo of pedit and see what I mean......
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    I remember this "problem" on older Palm devices like the V and III. Yeah, its kinda ugly, but I believe Handspring.

Joe