1.    #1  
    Just to let any new Orange UK users know that if you sign up for a (free) email account on the orange uk site then it will send free SMS alerts to your Treo whenever you get email sent to it. You can add filters so you only get alerts for specific emails if you want.

I've now added a little script to my mailserver to send an email to my Orange account whenever I get what I regard as important mail to my main accounts. Then the SMS reminds me to actually fetch it.

Given the relatively high cost of GPRS I reckon this is a more effective way of keeping on top of important email then regularly checking the account.
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    Great tip :-)
    Did you sign up on-line or did you ring them? I ask as when I tried to sign up on-line over the weekend, I was asked to pick a manufacturer and model. I did eventually find a list with Handspring for the manufacturer, but the list of models supplied only had Treo 270.
    Just signed up now :-)
    You will need to register for a orange username etc.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by kmwmtd
    Did you sign up on-line or did you ring them? I ask as when I tried to sign up on-line over the weekend, I was asked to pick a manufacturer and model. I did eventually find a list with Handspring for the manufacturer, but the list of models supplied only had Treo 270.
    I think you must be looking at a different bit of the site. The registration page I used was

https://www.orange.net/NASApp/portal/Registration

which doesn't ask anything about phone model.
    Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Treo 180g -> Treo 600 (UK GSMrevA)
    great tip. thanks. yes, GPRS aint cheap here...

on the subject of orange, and UK GMS in general, on my old nokia phones there was an option which one could select which would give you a message when an SMS you sent had been delivered/delayed etc. can one do that on the treo? I cannot find it anywhere...

thanks
    Originally posted by tgabber

I think you must be looking at a different bit of the site. The registration page I used was

https://www.orange.net/NASApp/portal/Registration

which doesn't ask anything about phone model.
    On further inspection, the page I was looking at contains instructions on setting up mobile e-mail. To get the correct instructions, you have to tell it the manufacturer and model, with the aforementioned problem.

However, this does not, as you say, have anything to do with registering for an e-mail account.

I have now registered - it took bloody ages, and about 8 attempts - and currently (and for the last hour and a half), both the messaging server and GPRS appear to be unavailable.