1.    #1  
    Apologies if these are covered elsewhere - I have searched, but it is sometimes easy to miss something given inconsistencies in spelling.

1) Is it possible to use the 600 as a modem without getting something like PDANet? I know that HotSync and basic drag and drop will work over the IR - I have already got these working - and I know that the 600 has modem capabilities (Virtual and Standard), but I have not had much success in convincing XP that there is a modem on the other end of the IR.

2) Does anyone know how to get the 600 to use MID files from the SD card without downloading with Blazer, or attaching to an e-mail, both of which use GPRS bandwidth which I would rather keep for other things, GPRS being quite expensive here in the UK? I have tried various ways of getting the files on the SD card (manual copy with an SD reader, HotSync to SD, even HotSync in Treo Pictures), but the Treo does not awknowledge their existance.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2.    #2  
    In the absence of any suggestions from the board, I did a bit of investigation. As you may be aware, if you enable your PC IR port, you can copy files directly from the PC to the 600 without performing a HotSync.

What I have discovered, however, is that if you do this with a .mid file (i.e. copy it using IR), the 600 accepts it and treats it as if it was a Blazer link or e-mail attachment. In other words, it prompts you to save it, and it is then immediately available for alarms.

This will save me having to use up my GPRS allowance transferring ringtones.
    Originally posted by kmwmtd
    In the absence of any suggestions from the board, I did a bit of investigation...

Well Golly, it had ONLY been a couple hours since you posted and very early in the morning USA time!

Anyway, in regards to your first quesiton, I don not believe there is any other way to connect the Treo as a modem to a computer without the use of PDAnet or wireless modem...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by gfunkmagic

Well Golly, it had ONLY been a couple hours since you posted and very early in the morning USA time!

Anyway, in regards to your first quesiton, I don not believe there is any other way to connect the Treo as a modem to a computer without the use of PDAnet or wireless modem...
    This is true, and I do sometimes forget the time difference. However, I know that there are a number of UK users on the board, as well.

In any case, my second post was, in part, an anwser to my first, and hopefully of some use to someone.