Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Seriously. Upgradiding from the 600 to the 300, as I figger it, means you get a TAXFREE rebate of $400!

Moreover, the 300 offers features not avail on the 600.

1. PQAs These (I am told) will not run at all on the 600. That means I lose

a. Directory Assist (instant white/yellow pages WITH links to the addressbook.

b. Seattle Traffic maps.

c. Medline access

d. sports news, etc.

One can do this by web but the web is a lot slower than the PQAs and are not integrated with the apps.

2. The flip cover. OK I hear that it breaks ... mine does not!

3. Price. $400 will buy a lot of minutes.

4. mic jack on the top where it belongs.

5. larger key board.

In contrast, reading here, the 600's advantages are:

1. brighter screen

2. MP3 but only through a crummy speaker

3. SD cards ... great for MP3, but see above. I suppose there MAY be SD slot GPS, etc.

4. better but not great battery life.

2.    #2  
    Oh yeh. The 300 upgrade gets you a longer stylus ... I like mine to stick out ... that goes where it belongs .. in the top of the machine!
    I hear you can also upgrade from a Treo 300 to a Motorolla analog "brick phone" from the 80's.
  4.    #4  
    I duppose you are veing sarcastic, bur seriously ... just what DOES the 600 offer over the 300?
    I'm been having similar thoughts. I'm trying to make my decision while the upgrade offer is on. I don't see how the 600 gives me anything I need, and it takes away some things. It is faster, it has better battery life, and the SD slot. It also plays MP3's and has a camera. If you need any of that stuff, it's nice.
    I'm willing to bet that support for PQAs is going to start diminishing since fewer devices support them.

The 600 is faster than my 300 when accessing web sites. I think this is mostly because the 300's processor couldn't render a page as fast, not because the data is transmitted faster.

The 5-way navigation buttons make the stylus almost unnecessary. That's something I really notice when I pick up my 300 (now used by my wife).

The 600 is easier to read out in sunlight, but still not as easy to read as I'd like.

The 600 has more volume control over the ringer.

The size of the 600 is much better than the 300. I can actually fit it in my pocket if I don't choose to use the belt clip.

If you don't want the 600, don't get it.
    Last edited by convbcuda; 10/20/2003 at 10:22 AM.
    Originally posted by Stevesm
    Seriously. Upgradiding from the 600 to the 300, as I figger it, means you get a TAXFREE rebate of $400!

Moreover, the 300 offers features not avail on the 600.

1. PQAs These (I am told) will not run at all on the 600. That means I lose

a. Directory Assist (instant white/yellow pages WITH links to the addressbook.

b. Seattle Traffic maps.

c. Medline access

d. sports news, etc.

One can do this by web but the web is a lot slower than the PQAs and are not integrated with the apps.

2. The flip cover. OK I hear that it breaks ... mine does not!

3. Price. $400 will buy a lot of minutes.

4. mic jack on the top where it belongs.

5. larger key board.

In contrast, reading here, the 600's advantages are:

1. brighter screen

2. MP3 but only through a crummy speaker

3. SD cards ... great for MP3, but see above. I suppose there MAY be SD slot GPS, etc.

4. better but not great battery life.

that would be downgrading buddy lol.

<EDIT>

where do you get "crummy speaker" from? the t300 speaker is complete trash compared to the t600....i dont know where you get the idea the 300 is so great compared to the 600...because when you are dealing with the 600 it brings it to an entirely new level....the 600 puts the 300 to shame so badly it'll have to get a restraining order. talk about the mercy rule.

<EDIT>

such a random post i had to come back again...how do you figure PQA's are faster???????? older technology means slower speeds....its not the fact that the PQA itself is fast...it depends on the wireless modem built into the phone itself...PQA's take much longer to process because they are so old the encryption is different and it takes longer for them to decode the recieved data and display it. as for battery life you've gotta be kidding me...i get around 5 or 6 hours of talk time after like 2 or 3 hours of vision use...compared to the treo 300's talk time of 2 hours without vision use and like 10 minutes after vision use. that had to be the worst statement i've heard. not a flame, but please get your information right. sorry about that...I'm a diehard treo fan...and think that its wrong to spread false information like that which will encourage the likes of seldomvisitor and purpleX
    Last edited by SprintTreo600; 10/20/2003 at 01:59 PM.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
  8.    #8  
    Gee...

But are you objective? You only address one of my concerns.

AQs for the speaker, what I have read here is that it is in a very bad location ... the BACK of the phone. Most people who use speakerphones use them in holders in their cars. How in hell this will work with the 600 beats me. The upgrade 300, has its speaker in the front!

As for the PQAs, the silly location for a stylus, the lack of a flip cover, etc etc. for these a 600 buyer will have to wait for the 300e to come out <grin>
    all kidding and sarcasm aside, I still haven't upgraded - still have my 300. But I just played with a co-workers Treo 600..and let me tell you - i'm jealous. Just the difference in response speed because of the faster processor and PalmOS 5 is worth it, it's a completely different user experience.
    Originally posted by Stevesm
    Gee...

But are you objective? You only address one of my concerns.

AQs for the speaker, what I have read here is that it is in a very bad location ... the BACK of the phone. Most people who use speakerphones use them in holders in their cars. How in hell this will work with the 600 beats me. The upgrade 300, has its speaker in the front!

As for the PQAs, the silly location for a stylus, the lack of a flip cover, etc etc. for these a 600 buyer will have to wait for the 300e to come out <grin>
    the speakerphone sends sound out it does not revieve...there is a reason for the powerful mic...and ALL phones except for the the treo line have them in the back...how is the stylus in a silly location??? ITS THE SAME LOCATION AS THE TREO 300!!!! PQA's are irrelvent anyways...show me someone who uses the PQA's other than you, then 'll shw you someone who doesnt care for technology or knows nothing of it. 300e.... puhleeze!! theres discepancy to wether there will even be a 6XX or 700....don't get your hopes up.

11.    #11  
    Relax ...

in reply:

1. PQAs .. I have no idea how many people use them as I am not a marketer for HS. But, they are VERY useful. Try them you might be surprised.

2. Speakers in the back on cell phones. And you point, I assume, is thta all cell phones that do not have flip covers are badly designed? I agree. Now tell me how one uses such a phone as a speaker phone in a car?

3. Dubious futures ... will there be a 700 or any TREOs under Palm? This is another reason t stay with the 300 rather than buy into a dead end technology. How difficult would it be in terms of added electronics to add a cell phone ability to the Tungsten? If Palm had not bought HS, wouldn't we have such a device by now?

Buying the 600 needs to be measured agaisnt the likelihood of better competitors ...

smartphones ... severla have aready been anounced. If one is vail with vision would I refer that to an end of the road treo?

symbion phones ... Sony has anounced that it will use the Symbion platform rather than palm OS for its phone-PDAs.

4. 300e .. I assume you can take a joke. My only point is that in many ways the 600 is a lateral move rather than an upgrade. Its real advantages are an SD slot and a brighter screen. If HS offered me those features in a TREO 300, I would certainly prefer the 300e to the 600. As it is the 600 is a bbit of a lateral and a bit of an uward move rather than a true major step.
    Make up your mind :

A. They don't have that on a Treo 300, so you are already contradicting yourself.

B. One uses a phone with a speaker in the back by talking normally, as

a) The mic itself is stronger, and one does not use the speakerphone to speak into.

b) The speaker is strong as well, have you even used it? It projects the voice much louder than the Treo 300.

C. You fail to realize that the Treo 300 and the Treo 600 are the same line of products, so by claiming the Treo 600 is dead technology, you are stating that the the Treo 300 was buried with Mozart.

D. Integrating phone technology with the Tungsten line? With that size? It barely fits in my pocket, now add a larger modem, an antenna, and the added width of a case, it's too big.

E. Symbian Vs. Palm is like comparing a Handheld TV to a Sony Plasma with BOSE surround sound, Palm knocks it out the park like Mickey Mantle back in Bovard Field.

F. PPC and Palm are two different platforms for two different kinds of people, they cannot be compared because the apps are so different, it's like putting Derek Jeter in Malik Rose's place.

G. PQA's are about as useful as Mark Redman in Game 2 of the World Series . There's your dead technology right there.

Stevesm, great post. I decided to take a look at the Treo 300 forum tonight since I hadn't bothered checking in in a while. My wife and I both have Treo 300s and I posted a similar thread in the Treo 600 forum a while back. Basically, I'm a bit stumped by why the Treo 600 is worth $400 (After Rebates) over a Treo 300 which can now be had for free (AR). Like you, I consider the lack of a screen cover, smaller screen, smaller thumbboard, and loss of PQA support to be steps backwards. The advantages of the Treo 600 have been gone over a zillion times and I recognize real value in MP3, a utilitarian camera, and the SDIO slot, but I'm frustrated personally that they didn't seek to go more of the Danger Hiptop route in terms of giving it a bigger thumbboard and screen and, instead, wanted to appeal to users who are concerned with looks.

As far as PQAs, this is an excellent technology that PalmSource has abandoned for poor reasons. SprintTreo600, I'm sorry but you're misinformed here. PQAs are the equivalent of a client-server application on a PC where you get to have a small, yet extremely responsive application residing on your Treo and transfer important data, and important data only, to and from the web server. PQAs are fast on a Treo 300 and would be even faster on a Treo 600 had PalmSource chosen to continue to support it. I suspect they incorrectly guessed over a year ago that 3G networks would be here by now and we'd be blazing along on our cell phones at cable modem speed. But we're not. A side advantage of PQAs is that you get to have a dedicated icon for the applet that you want. So if I want to check the weather, I launch the weather applet, as opposed to launching Blazer, then selecting the weather web site, then waiting for it to transfer the basic home page down to my Treo, etc.

Sorry, but the dropping of PQA support, like the dropping of WeSync, is an issue I can tend to get a bit heated about.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  14.    #14  
    I looked at the 300 today, spent an hour with it. The end result ...............I probably will not buy the thing.

As I said above, there just isn't enough advsntsge over the 300 and it really does lose several good 300 features.

In addition to all that I said above:

a. the screen is LOUSY! Yes it is brighter, that is good, BUT I went to Mapquest and tried to read a map ... impossible. This is enough to make the phone a loser ... why have the web if you can't read the pages?

b. This is one BIG lump. WADR to those who find it appealing to talk into a bar of soap, I prefer the tradtional design of the Star Trek communicator. Beam me up Scotty!

c. The new dingus navigator is about as intuitive as trying to write with my thumb.

d. How in all &*%^$ did they manage to introduce a new Pal, OS device WITHOUT JOT???
    Just look at the coor of the handspring treo series....
    PDA.... Cell Phone... Hmmm
    Mobile Internet! Bingo! As I was on my old Treo 300, www.ign.com PING sorry blazer won't access this website because it has java. I get Xinno, works but is slow buggey and ugly, plus cost me a pretty penny (few thousand).

Treo 600 has java, faster processor and new Palm OS, that alone brings limitless possibilities over the 300.

Honestly its just a much better user experience, when you don't count points.
  16.    #16  
    Java would be great IF the screen were readable. It is not.

As for the new OS, what features does it have that compensate for losing PQAs?
    Nobody meantioned that fact that if you have a slight car accident...EUREKA!!!! Take instant pics!!!!!!

Oh and by the way.....no need for a separate CD or MP3 player.....the 600 has P-Tunes for MP3s

And to store all that stuff....expandability....SD slot....up to atleast a 1gig to ADD to 23 megs ...ALREADY on the phone.

Come to think of it......when the Treo 300 came out how much was it...and did you have all the above features?????

This is why I bought a 600......I loved my 300..and I sold it for 100 bucks....oh and SPrint gave me another 100 off my account for getting the 600 (purchased from HS) and extending my contract.

So ...in reality I paid 199 for a brand new Treo 600....NOT BAD!!!!!

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Actually, I did mention that in the fifth post on this thread.

It is faster, it has better battery life, and the SD slot. It also pla
    ys MP3's and has a camera. If you need any of that stuff, it's nice.
    I think if you're somebody that sees value in having a built-in camera or mp3 player, it's nice. I just don't.

I still think I'll end up upgrading, but I'm not totally sold yet. I just really like the idea of being able to get that upgrade and not having to renew my contract or change my plan.
    Originally posted by SpicyMeatball91
    Just look at the coor of the handspring treo series....
    PDA.... Cell Phone... Hmmm
    Mobile Internet! Bingo! As I was on my old Treo 300, www.ign.com PING sorry blazer won't access this website because it has java. I get Xinno, works but is slow buggey and ugly, plus cost me a pretty penny (few thousand).

Treo 600 has java, faster processor and new Palm OS, that alone brings limitless possibilities over the 300.
    As has been pointed out numerous times, you are confusing Java with JavaScript. An all too common mistake.

I'm curious though. What is JavaScript getting you exactly? The average web site uses JavaScript for rollover effects and little else. Far more interesting to me personally is the support for CSS. Still, with its low 160x160 resolution, it's difficult for me to get too excited about web browsing on a Treo.

Scott
    Originally posted by IGoDwnTwn34
    Nobody meantioned that fact that if you have a slight car accident...EUREKA!!!! Take instant pics!!!!!!
    So the Treo 600 is the perfect gift idea for those who get in frequent fender-benders.

Originally posted by IGoDwnTwn34
    This is why I bought a 600......I loved my 300..and I sold it for 100 bucks....oh and SPrint gave me another 100 off my account for getting the 600 (purchased from HS) and extending my contract.

So ...in reality I paid 199 for a brand new Treo 600....NOT BAD!!!!!
    Not sure I follow your math. You can't really count how much you got for your Treo 300 unless you also want to add in how much you originally paid for it.

Scott
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast