1.    #1  
    Does anyone have any pics of the t600 low res screen compared to any other PDA with high res?

thx
    No.
    I took a picture this morning. It's not the best, but it gives you an idea. My Treo 600 is sitting next to my Tungsten T and my wife's Tungsten T3.

Putting them side-by-side, it was obvious that the Treo 600 has the brightest screen of them all. However, the T3's screen, by being transflexive and high-res (and centered ), is the nicest-looking screen of the lot.

The picture is a little out of focus (no flash and hand-holding the camera and all), so it doesn't capture the absolute crispness of the T/T3 screens. It does give an idea of relative brightness, however (all were on their highest brightness setting in this photo).
    Okay, the pic didn't seem to get uploaded. I'll try again with a somewhat more-compressed version that should fit under the maximum number of bytes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    After looking at the high res screen, I am not that impressed. And I still don't know they make a 320x320 screen that is as small as the Treo's. I still think that 240x240 would be a maximum appropriate resolution for this size screen. I do not have any complaints about the Treo's screen as it seems to be great, but I am coming from a Palm III (not color).
    Originally posted by tgaul
    Okay, the pic didn't seem to get uploaded. I'll try again with a somewhat more-compressed version that should fit under the maximum number of bytes.
    Interesting comparison, and thanks for the look, but those particular screens are not really the best to compare the displays. If you compare a spreadsheet image (containing an average amount of data), or compare a good jpeg image, then the real differences and the lack of high-resolution will show.

Any chance you could throw a few more of these up here?
  7.    #7  
    tgaul, thanks alot for those pics

Cheers
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Originally posted by lnichols
    After looking at the high res screen, I am not that impressed. And I still don't know they make a 320x320 screen that is as small as the Treo's. I still think that 240x240 would be a maximum appropriate resolution for this size screen. I do not have any complaints about the Treo's screen as it seems to be great, but I am coming from a Palm III (not color).
    I know everyone wants a miracle device, but I agree with you. Sometimes the responses on this board remind me of a bunch of children whining about everything not being exactly the way they envision it.

My wife has a Sony Clie PEG-NX70. It's got a *beautiful* screen, no doubt about it. I mean, it's fantastic. The reason my wife is using it is because the device was too big for me to carry in my pocket when I had to carry a phone, too. See where I'm going with this?

These screens carry a cost: size and battery life. Phones carry a size and battery life cost. Put them together, what do you get?

I have had my Treo 600 since Friday now, and I'm thrilled with it so far. Is it the perfect imaginary device? No. I'd like for it to have a 800x600 screen, record audio, have a wireless stereo headset, play DVDs over 802.11b, make coffee for me in the morning, and beam me to work without sitting in traffic. Unfortuately, that device doesn't exist yet so I've got to say the Treo 600 is the best for my needs right now.
    Originally posted by jwrogers
    These screens carry a cost: size and battery life. Phones carry a size and battery life cost. Put them together, what do you get?

I have had my Treo 600 since Friday now, and I'm thrilled with it so far. Is it the perfect imaginary device? No. I'd like for it to have a 800x600 screen, record audio, have a wireless stereo headset, play DVDs over 802.11b, make coffee for me in the morning, and beam me to work without sitting in traffic. Unfortuately, that device doesn't exist yet so I've got to say the Treo 600 is the best for my needs right now.
    ROTFLMA.

Exactly. If the Treo had a 320x320 screen, it would be wider, heavier, and use more battery power which would require more charging. And for the complaints of a lack of a removeable battery, I am glad that I don't have to carry around multiple batteries to get me through a day of usage and I am confident the battery will last the life of the phone. I am sure that the battery can be replaced if needed, but I give the phone about 1.5 to 2 years useful life for me before I hand it down to the wife anyways.

This is the best smartphone on the market. A T-Mobile XDA user saw my phone this weekend and was in awe of the Treo's size, weight and beauty. I told him the T-Mobile one would be out by the end of November. He mentioned he knew the XDAII was going to be out soon but said that the Treo 600 looked like it could be his next phone. Everyone that has looked at and held my Treo 600 wants one of their own.
    Originally posted by elysian9

Interesting comparison, and thanks for the look, but those particular screens are not really the best to compare the displays. If you compare a spreadsheet image (containing an average amount of data), or compare a good jpeg image, then the real differences and the lack of high-resolution will show.

Any chance you could throw a few more of these up here?
    I have attached one that compares the same image being displayed in the photo app on the Palm and in SplashPhoto on the Treo. I didn't use the expanded wide-screen mode of the T3 (which, of course, makes the image look even better on the T3, but isn't really fair as it's using more relative area on the screen). The Treo's image in this picture is a little more washed out than real life (possibly due to just how bright it is and how the camera captures that).

I agree with those who've pointed out that the benefit of the Treo is that it is both a phone and a Palm OS handheld, and while the screen does look quite a bit better on the T3 in most ways, for most things the Treo screen is fine.

While I'd love to have the Treo have a transflexive, high-res, 16-bit screen (with BlueTooth built-in for good measure), I've accepted that this is a trade off I have to make for now, as I have no desire to carry both a phone and a separate handheld with me, and by being with me all the time, the Treo is more useful to me than the Tungsten was. I'm very happy with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Originally posted by tgaul

I have attached one that compares the same image being displayed in the photo app on the Palm and in SplashPhoto on the Treo. I didn't use the expanded wide-screen mode of the T3 (which, of course, makes the image look even better on the T3, but isn't really fair as it's using more relative area on the screen). The Treo's image in this picture is a little more washed out than real life (possibly due to just how bright it is and how the camera captures that).

I agree with those who've pointed out that the benefit of the Treo is that it is both a phone and a Palm OS handheld, and while the screen does look quite a bit better on the T3 in most ways, for most things the Treo screen is fine.

While I'd love to have the Treo have a transflexive, high-res, 16-bit screen (with BlueTooth built-in for good measure), I've accepted that this is a trade off I have to make for now, as I have no desire to carry both a phone and a separate handheld with me, and by being with me all the time, the Treo is more useful to me than the Tungsten was. I'm very happy with it.
    Uhhh...I mean, I know what some folks will say...they will say that the Tungsten is a prettier screen...for sure! But like has been established...you can't have it all in one device...there is no "miracle" device.

Got to ask though...have you complained about the off center screen?
    <CENTER>
    <strong>
    <span style="color: blue;">Where's the "Make Coffee" button again?</span>
    </strong>
    [i]... Got to ask though...have you complained about the off center screen? [/B]
    Good question. IMO, I think that a high-end device with a screen that is not centered on the display is pathetic. Guess one can only wait for the inevitable software patch.
    Originally posted by elysian9
    Good question. IMO, I think that a high-end device with a screen that is not centered on the display is pathetic. Guess one can only wait for the inevitable software patch.
    A software patch is not going to "fix" the screen, because it is not broke. If you look closely at the screen when the unit is turned off (may have to angle the unit too), you will see that the usable screen does stop where it does when the device is turned on. The only way to "fix" this would be to get a screen that is of different design, and install it. The screen looks as HS intended it to.

The consensus on the board to date is that this extra area is there to facilitate the lighting of the screen. This was probably a form factor/available screen decision that was made for the unit. I guess HS didn't think that people would be so anal and scrutinize every square mm of the phone. Nothing out there compares to the Treo 600 as a smartphone, so just enjoy the thing and realize that no device will ever be perfect.