Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Would anyone on this board be interested? I am considering a venture to create such a device. Probably an SD/IO antenna stub and some pretty intense processing on the processor, but I think it can be done.
    i am...that'd be great...i can't even find a regular FM tuner...if you know of one..please let me know....sattelite radio would be amazing though!!!
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Does a bear s__t in the woods?
    That would be INCREDIBLE!!!

I think anyone who has or heard XM would be totally interested in having it available in the Treo...

I just picked up another XM radio, the ROADY and it is very small... I am sure something could be done to get an XM SD card.

Definitely interested!
    I'm in. But remember three things.
    1. size
    2. software interface
    3. price

in that order, for me at least.

What would be great is if you could take advantage of the Treo's antenna.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
  6. purpleX
    1. will it run PocketPC? (lol, just kidding, but will it run on multiple devices?)
    2. how much will it cost? ($60-100 without subscription, little more with)
    3. how good is the sound? (It better sounds like a real radio)
    4. will it suck battery power?

5. what's wrong with just a stand alone device? as long as it's small enough and cheap enough, who will bothers with finicky SD card. Or at least will the SD card operate as standalone devie? (say with a small docking battery pack etc.)
    Here is my problem with XFM... We are only a year or 2 from broadband everywhere. (in major cities) With broadband subscriptions falling into our cellphone bills (will be all in one), we will all be streaming music through the internet to our cars and our phones.

Its the future. If im already paying for 1 service, why buy another?
  8.    #8  
    Im' pretty sure that the built-in antenna will not be suitable for XM reception for several reasons, most notably the frequency difference between 800 MHz/1900 MHz and XM's (~2.3 GHz)

I think that most of us would not want to carry around an extra XM receiver, and that's the point of an SD/IO XM antenna with the DSP happening on the processor.

It's a hard project, but I may have a senior design team at an engineering school tackle this one.
    I'm in, for a reasonable price, of course
    Charles

Kyocera 6035-->Samsung I-300-->Samsung I-330-->Treo 600-->Sprint Treo 650-->Cingular Treo 650-->AT&T Treo 680-->AT&T Crimson Treo 680-->AT&T Black Centro-->AT&T Copper Treo 680-->iPhone 3G 8GB-->iPhone 3GS 16GB-->HTC EVO 4G
    That sounds damn cool. How supportive is XM (the company) of developers. So, you slap an antenna on the treo and do all the DSP work on the ARM? Are there published codecs and such to handle that process? Does XM provide them to developers? Sounds like a really interesting project. I would be interested in finding out how you plan on tackling the DSP issue.
    won't be possible unless you live outside. xm and sirius both need line of site to the satellite. house, car, tunnel, etc. would block the signal.

it seems some of you have XM (which sucks compared to Sirius unless you just love 30% of your listening time to be consumed with commercials.. but that's a different tanget just think about what you're discussing... it's SATELLITE radio... you know those things that are in outerspace? you can't just carry an antennae where ever you want to go and listen to it. that's like trying to mount a DTV dish inside the house.
    XM has SO MUCH more variety in it then the Sirius.. but THAT is a discussion for another time.. I've heard both.. you can't compare.. one is like the radio.. XM is not.

The sound would always be better then regular radio.. it is all digital.

And of course satellite radio works with line of site but XM has these repeaeters in many major metropolitan areas like hundreds of them... which help the signal get through buildings.... anyone who has XM would know...

And plus... if you are inside someplace.. like home or work, would you REALLy want to run around listening to XM on your Treo??? I think the main advantgae would be to have it outdoors anyway.

I think they would be supportive.. based on this cool XMPCR I got from PC connection... it seems someone developed that to run through a computer interface to see what is playing.... no streaming... just uses the interface to see whats on all channels..

For the person who said about broadband coming all over... I think we are still WAY off... satellite radio is here and it is so much better then radio which just SUCKS. You get so much more...

I hope you go forward with the SD card plan... that would really be something... I would concentrate on XM and not the Sirius because those repeaters which XM has a lot of will ease problems with reception without line of site.

And for anyone asking about the cost... cmon! We are like early adopters here... so we will pay more and get it first... (then complain about it later lol) isn't that what we do!

Great idea to do this!

Mike
    No way. You and your senior design pals are biting off more than you can possibly chew. Its obvious that you don't understand the difficulty of these satalite radios, let alone the amount of work to implement their protocals. I work for circus radio and we have 25 engineers working on designing radios. You obviously need some industry experience. Nice though though, just totally impracticall for a couple of college seniors. Like noway.
    Originally posted by rastoma
    won't be possible unless you live outside. xm and sirius both need line of site to the satellite. house, car, tunnel, etc. would block the signal.

I wish someone would tell my car, office and family room that.
    XM SD card?....okay, but I really just want a bluetooth SD card DAMMIT!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    How about a MEMORY-BLUETOOTH-XM Card.

SO you can load your MP3s.. when you get tired of them listen to XM... and have bluetooth functions also.

Maybe it can make coffee too!
    here in the UK we have digital radio. this is free (no subscription) and channels suppied through the BBC carry NO advertising.
  18.    #18  
    First, learn how to speell. :-)

Second I have a BSEE, MSEE, MSCS, MBA, and am working on a PhD in EE. I have worked on several embedded DSP systems in the past 5 years in industry.

Third, have you ever done a senior design project at a good school? This is absolutely do-able in a prototype form.

This was merely an thread so I can ascertain the community's interest level in a technology. If you're not interested, say that. If you're interested, say that. Otherwise, please go away. Thanks for your support :-)
    Go for it! I would be very interested in something like this.
    Originally posted by Ice Blade
    First, learn how to speell. :-)

Second I have a BSEE, MSEE, MSCS, MBA, and am working on a PhD in EE. I have worked on several embedded DSP systems in the past 5 years in industry.

Third, have you ever done a senior design project at a good school? This is absolutely do-able in a prototype form.

This was merely an thread so I can ascertain the community's interest level in a technology. If you're not interested, say that. If you're interested, say that. Otherwise, please go away. Thanks for your support :-)
    I agree Ice Blade.. Negativity is a killer.... Don't you think people said you couldn't to Ben Franklon, Thomas Edison and Columbus?

If there's a will, there's a way!

Mike
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast