1.    #1  
    I have a long history with Palm OS PDAs. I actually started with a Newton 120 and was generally frustrated by the slow speed and large size. I had no intention of buying another device, but I saw a PalmPilot 5000 in a store, played with it, and bought it on the spot. I have since gone through a PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Visor Deluxe, Visor Prism, Treo 90, and finally the Treo 600. I was happy with the Prism but after a long run I lost it and grudgingly ordered a Treo 90. I could not consider a Treo 270 or 300 because I have so many applications and so much data that the SD card (I had Compact Flash on the Prism) was essential. The Treo 90 was a real eye-opener. I immediately fell in love with the keyboard even though I was a Grafitti freak up to that point. The size made it truly portable and it was the most reliable and touble-free PDA a had ever owned. I became interested in the Treo 600 because I wanted a faster PDA and my Motorola V8160 phone was becoming rather long in the tooth. I did have some trepidation about changing providers since I was perfectly happy with Verizon (I live in Manhattan).

When I received my Treo 600 last Friday I was immediately impressed by the fit and finish. This is one solid, well-made device! I had seen some at a launch event but actually holding one you own is different, somehow. The front is made of metal and matches the plastic back perfectly. All the buttons and keys are very well designed and have a nice solid feel. The most impressive thing, however, is how well everything is integrated with the five-way button so you almost never have to use the stylus. Third-party applications are also getting there, among the first are the SplashData apps, AvantGo, and SnapperMail. The screen is very nice and bright. When I hold my Treo 90 the white background looks gray by comparison. The colors are also somehow better and yes, it is completely usable outdoor - hugely different from the 90.

Sprint service has been great for both voice and data. At first I was concerned because the signal appears weak sometimes (one or two bars) but the phone and data still work fine. In some places I find that the signal strength varies from minute to minute, which I find strange, but doesn't seem to pose a problem. Side by side tests with a Verizon phone in New York and on a trip to Washington D.C. did not turn up any significant differences. Data access continues to function even on the weakest signal which leads some surprising situations like being able to surf the web on the subway platform. Blazer works great and is very fast. SnapperMail works perfectly and quite easy to set up. I have not yet tested using attachments, however. There are lots of nice touches like all the ringers.

The one area which is a disappointment is the camera. I have a really good digital camera so I am starting from a bad point of comparison. I had purchased the Eyemodule for my Visor Deluxe and the Eyemodule 2 for my Prism but never got much use out of them. Admittedly, since this camera is built-in I will probably use it more. The camera needs a TON of light and the pictures are marginal. At best this can be considered and emergency camera. To be fair, I have already used it when no other camera was available and for caller ID pictures. I am attaching two pictures from an event where we ran out of film early on (Columbia University 250th birthday celebration) taken on a rainy afternoon.

All in all I am thrilled with my Treo 600. It has already simplified my life by only having to deal with one device (and one charger) while keeping me more connected than I've ever been. The feel of the device is perfect. It is very confortable in the hand, elegent, and stylish. The battery life is great (although it is probably best to disconnect the wireless connection when not in use), the data speed is stupendous, and all my regular Palm apps run like lightning. If anyone has any questions or things they want me to try, I will be glad to comply.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2.    #2  
    This was taken at night with strong illumination.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nice post, vflopez! Glad to hear that it is working out so well for you. After one week I also am delighted with my T600. Especially now that I've got McPhling back up and running. I agree that the feel of the phone makes you feel that you have a real piece of hardware in your hand, not just a plastic mock-up.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    hey Scrinch !
    How did you McPhling to work with the T600 ? I've been trying but just cant seem to make it do anything at all !
    I tried out a McPhling update in beta form. Right now it works fine with the 5-way pad, but not assigned to custom keys. McCollister wants to release it next week I think.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Bummer !
    Where can I get the beta - looked on their site but couldn't find it !
    If you are registered, try e-mailing him. He may ask you to try out the beta.
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Nah. I just downloaded the app a couple of days ago cos I heard about it from somewhere - Iwas going to buy it but I need it try it out first.

I guess I'll have to wait or email him and ask nicely !!!
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    vflopez, I'm with you. I started put on a Newton 110 (still works, BTW), then to a Palm Pro, Palm III, Palm V, Palm VII, etc, etc, up until my Treo 300. (yes, there were a couple of Pocket PCs mixed in).

I switched from an i500 for my T600 a little over a week ago, and I couldn't be happier. Yes, I like the clamshell design and size of the i5 a little more, and I wish it had analog roam, but this is simply the best, most complete smartphone I've ever used.

Now I just can't wait for some of the SDIO cards like BT to come out.