Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, everybody has their gripes about this device but so far most if not all have been mostly "convenience" gripes, that is the issues can be worked around with a little extra effort.

But there is one MAJOR FLAW about the Treo 600 that has nothing to do with convenience - THE BACKLIGHT CANNOT BE TURNED OFF WHEN ON A PHONE CALL!!! I think it's ridiculous that HS overlooked that one. What were they smoking??!! I don't know about anyone else but I have been averaging about 3 hours of talk time on my Treo. This is in addition to some PDA use but I only use it for maybe 30 mins a day - 45 tops. I think if the backlight could be turned off by the user (i.e. address one of the MANY buttons on the Treo to turn the backlight on and off while on the phone) we could increase talk-time by at least 20% maybe 30%. I'm not sure what the power consumption is on the backlight but I would guess it's probably drawing quite a bit of juice from the battery even if it dims to a lower setting.

Another downfall of having the backlight on all the time is that when I slip my phone into my pocket while talking on the headset, I find that I accidentally hang up the call because the buttons appear on the screen and they are VERY SENSITIVE!

Let's hope HS comes out with a fix soon. 3 hours of talk-time is unacceptable.
    Is it not possible to single or double click the power button to turn off the screen or keyboard ? Don't have a 600 yet or I would try it.
  3.    #3  
    Nope. I've tried everything. There is no way to turn off the battery sucking backlight while on the phone. Amazing. Just amazing.
    Originally posted by tcjohnsson
    Another downfall of having the backlight on all the time is that when I slip my phone into my pocket while talking on the headset, I find that I accidentally hang up the call because the buttons appear on the screen and they are VERY SENSITIVE!

Let's hope HS comes out with a fix soon. 3 hours of talk-time is unacceptable.
    There is an option to disable the touchscreen during phone calls.

Press the "Home" button
    Select "Preferences"
    Select "Keyguard"

The option to disable the touchscreen is right there.
    Last edited by MHR; 10/19/2003 at 05:31 PM.
    I wonder what the statistics really are regarding how much of a battery drain it is? Can anyone with experience give us an estimate?

If it is a significant amount, then I am as dumbfounded as everyone else. If it is negligible, than it really doesn't matter.

Still, it would have been nice if they gave US the choice.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by MHR

There is an option to disable the touchscreen during phone calls.

Press the "Home" button
    Select "Preferences"
    Select "Keyguard"

The option to disable the touchscreen is right there.

Uhh, yeah great. But now I can't use the buttons at all. I want an option to toggle the screen on and off manually. Not have a setting that completely renders the touchscreen useless.

The setting should be "while on a call allows toggling on/off of touchscreen/backlight by pressing power button"

But of course that wouldn't require a setting as everyone that owns a T600 will have this option checked.

Duh.

Uhh, yeah great. But now I can't use the buttons at all. I want an option to toggle the screen on and off manually. Not have a setting that completely renders the touchscreen useless.

The setting should be "while on a call allows toggling on/off of touchscreen/backlight by pressing power button"

But of course that wouldn't require a setting as everyone that owns a T600 will have this option checked.

Duh.

evidently you haven't even tried it, there an option to activate "when a call is recieved" and "while on a call"

please don't flame people when they are right.
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    Nope. I've tried everything. There is no way to turn off the battery sucking backlight while on the phone. Amazing. Just amazing.
    You can dim (but not completely turn off) the display backlight by pressing Opt-P. This can be done at any time, and will it will remain dimmed for all (as far as I am aware) operations, including phone calls, until the screen is switched off and on again.
    yes but that keeps the backlight on. when you use the keygaurd under prefs, it disables backlight and dims it.

10.    #10  
    Originally posted by ardint
    I wonder what the statistics really are regarding how much of a battery drain it is? Can anyone with experience give us an estimate?

If it is a significant amount, then I am as dumbfounded as everyone else. If it is negligible, than it really doesn't matter.

Still, it would have been nice if they gave US the choice.
    Well, I'll try take a stab at it as I design solar/photovoltaic chargers for portable devices.

I would guess that the battery for the t-600 is a Li-Ion Polymer 3.7V with a capacity of approx 2,000 mAh (7.4Whrs). I wouldn't know for sure since I didn't take the phone apart. Anyone have the exact spec on the battery?

Backlights are by far the biggest energy consumer on and PDA. The phone function itself probably consumes approx 1 watt just to make the call, power the speaker, etc. The backlight on full brightness could consume up to 1 watt also (that is the power consumption of some PDA's that I've seen with similar backlight technology). So am I saying that the power required to run the backlight could be as much as placing the call itself? Maybe. There are just too many variables to even make a decent guess. But I can say with 100% confidence, that even with the backlight on low (which the phone automatically switches it to after a few seconds when a phone call is placed or received), the backlight consumes at least 60-80 mA or approx .2 - .3 watts. 0.2 watts is 20% of the power required to even make the call so it's obvious that the screen being on drains the battery considerably AND unnecessarily.

We could easily find out the increase in runtime if someone can present the power consumption of the backlight and the battery size. Someone must know this. Calling all engineers.

even with the backlight on low (which the phone automatically switches it to after a few seconds when a phone call is placed or received)
    what are you talking about? the backlight turns on and off...not in-betweens....backlights have very little influence on a pda's. Where do you get your information? Not trying to flame or anything....but when you post something make sure it is right.

12.    #12  
    Originally posted by SprintTreo600

what are you talking about? the backlight turns on and off...not in-betweens....backlights have very little influence on a pda's. Where do you get your information? Not trying to flame or anything....but when you post something make sure it is right.
    Yes, the backlight turns on and off, but you can adjust the brightness, right? Aren't there 3 or 4 settings (even if there is a slider bar)??? My phone switches to a much lower brightness setting once the phone call is left idle for more than a few seconds. The lower the brightness setting the lower the power consumption. What did I say that didn't make sense?
  13.    #13  

backlights have very little influence on a pda's. Where do you get your information? Not trying to flame or anything....but when you post something make sure it is right.

Sorry but I didn't catch that completely. Now this proves that you have no idea what you're talking about. The backlight on a PDA is BY FAR the biggest drain on the battery. Do you even know how much mA those things suck???? I'm an engineer, I have equipment that can test this stuff. I have to match consumption demands to Li-Ion and NiMH batteries all the time. Where do you get your information??

Yes, the backlight turns on and off, but you can adjust the brightness, right? Aren't there 3 or 4 settings (even if there is a slider bar)??? My phone switches to a much lower brightness setting once the phone call is left idle for more than a few seconds. The lower the brightness setting the lower the power consumption. What did I say that didn't make sense?
    you cant adjust the backlight....it turns on it turns off...you type in you keys it turns on wait for it and it will turn off...the only thing you said that made sense was the screen dims after left idle for a few seconds...its not sucking all the life out of the battery though, hardly has an effect compared to making a call itself, which also uses less battery than you make it sound like.

15.    #15  

you cant adjust the backlight....it turns on it turns off...you type in you keys it turns on wait for it and it will turn off...the only thing you said that made sense was the screen dims after left idle for a few seconds...its not sucking all the life out of the battery though, hardly has an effect compared to making a call itself, which also uses less battery than you make it sound like.

OK, I won't argue anymore with you. This last statement makes absolutely no sense and is, for the most part, contradictory.
    I don't know about the rest of you but the backlit buttons turn off after a few seconds while I'm on a call and then the screen dims. The thing I don't understand is you make it sound like the end of the world. The 600 is awesome. They can't make everyone happy no matter what they do.
    Last edited by Facci; 10/19/2003 at 08:14 PM.
    Originally posted by Facci
    The 600 is 
    It's what?
    I would agree with tcjohson on this one - how in heaven's name could this SIMPLE feature not be on the "super-duper" converged device of the year.

It is such a simple piece of code - it is sooo obvious that HS engineers just missed the whole thing all together. How many people or teams of people do they have on this thing???

A N D

HOW LONG ??? They've had forever to get this thing right - (i'm still waiting for my bloody GSM t600 $%@!!)

The O2 Xda II is already available in Dubai - think i'll just hang on and pick that baby up.

Dissapointed.
    Ok, everybody step back, breath and relax.
    I think this is a simple misunderstanding due to linguistics. tcjohnsson, when you mention backlight many people think you are only refering to the keyboard lighting, when I think you are actually refering to the screen brightness, which I agree is a great drain on the battery.
    So from now on to make it more clear lets try to stick with the following: backlight refers to keyboard light
    screen brightness: well obviously refers to screen brightness

Paul
    OK, just a few quick notes. The screen DOES dim after a few seconds. Also you can go into your settings, or preferences, or whatever and you CAN ADJUST the normal brightness of your screen. That way it will ALWAYS be dimmer and thus not such a drain on your battery. Finally what is the big deal? I have been reading these boards for six months now. The screen on the 300 never "went off" during a phone call either. I don't ever remember ANYONE saying this was a feature they needed or wanted. Geez, chill out.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast