Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I haven't seen anyone ask for this...

I have been taking a lot of photos, and the camera is totally crippled at night. Do you think any company would build a flash module to fit in the SD slot?

I guess the camera software would have to be modified to send a signal to the card when you take a shot...

...and on a somewhat similar note, is the 640x480 resolution a hardware limitation, or could the photo software be enhanced to take bigger pictures...like at least 800x600?

and one more question...can I send a picture to a distribution list? I haven't figured out how to do that.

It would be so cool to send off shots to all my friends @ once...

./p
    After seeing a few posts here with pictures that their Treo 600 took, I am still wondering if my camera is defective.

I've talked to Sprint and they say that's it's just the way it is, but every picture I take, in low light or high, I get this blue noise that COVERS my screen preventing anything but a crappy shot.

Now in higher light, it is a little better, but not a lot. Does everyone's do this?
    Phildro ... can't answer your first two questions ... but with regard to a distribution list. Check out textamerica.com. This is a site where you can upload your pictures instantly and all your friends can log in and view them. Much faster than sending them to everybody one at a time. You can also add text and they can send your their comments. COOL and free.

I work for the company that designed the camera chip. The max hardware resolution of the CMOS imager is 640x480. The low light limitations are due to the low f of the module lens housing, which is a tradeoff for the small size of the lens.
    Originally posted by proee
    I work for the company that designed the camera chip ...
    Then you are the person of the hour.

Are there any particular recommendations to optimize quality of the pictures? Some of the ones posted have been very nice ... mine are not so nice.

Your professional opinion appreciated.
    Palm III > Treo 300 > Treo 600.B
    The best way to get a good shot is to be outdoors (obviously). The other is to try to minimize the amount of extreme variations in the photo, such as shadow to extremely bright light. This will minimize charging and discharging lag associated with the CMOS photo diode sensor.

In a few month, we will be replacing the current camera in the handspring with a slightly better one. Same resolution, but it will have better low light specs and and auto correction algorithms. There will be no appear difference whatsoever, so you can't really tell if you have the upgraded camera.

So if next year, your friend has a better look picture on his new treo, he's probably go the upgrade.
    Originally posted by proee
    The best way to get a good shot is to be outdoors (obviously). The other is to try to minimize the amount of extreme variations in the photo, such as shadow to extremely bright light. This will minimize charging and discharging lag associated with the CMOS photo diode sensor.

In a few month, we will be replacing the current camera in the handspring with a slightly better one. Same resolution, but it will have better low light specs and and auto correction algorithms. There will be no appear difference whatsoever, so you can't really tell if you have the upgraded camera.

So if next year, your friend has a better look picture on his new treo, he's probably go the upgrade.
    I for one will be extremely ticked off if Handspring actually does this after we all jumped on and bought it right away.
    Originally posted by mo-bile

I for one will be extremely ticked off if Handspring actually does this after we all jumped on and bought it right away.
    They have to draw the line somewhere - you can't please all of the people all of the time. If they kept developing without releasing until they got everything 'right' - camera, resolution, colours, size, weight, etc - they would never release anything.
    > I work for the company that designed the camera chip...In
    > a few month, we will be replacing the current camera in
    > the handspring with a slightly better one...There will be no
    > appear difference whatsoever, so you can't really tell if you
    > have the upgraded camera...

Heads Up.

Proprietary information like this, though interesting to many folks including myself, is exactly what "non-disclosure agreements" are all about.

Noting that the "next better version" of a product is going to released "soon" can kill sales of the current version.
    The camera is awful, full stop (period).
    If a new algorithm or firmware change can make it better then why can't they just upgrade the existng f'ware algything?
    FWIW the treo camera is the worst I've ever seen on a camera phone. the one on my 7650 wasn't brilliant but much much better than this.

HS: must try harder! and look after the customers who've just bought the darn (damn) thing first.
    I took these on a late night trip to the atm. I have some street scenes that are not quite there yet so I won't show them.

I think with a little more experimentation I can get some acceptable shots.

http://www.wireless-doc.com/treocam4.htm
    I am really enjoying my camera. I love snapping shots on my walks in the morning and then posting them on a website before I even get home - My Treo600 pix. I use Buzznet.Com (much the same as Textamerica mentioned above).

I know I'm not going to get a crisp, clear, perfect photograph - if that's what I want I use my Kodak DC 3800. But, I've grown to love the peculiarities of these phone shots. And I'm getting better... as I learn how the camera likes to work.

http://www.buzznet.com/assets/users/...sg-23518-2.jpg
    susan dennis
    seattle, WA
    http://susandennis.com
    an SDIO camera flash would be FANTASTIC. and, i imagine, relatively cheap and easy to make. who do we talk to about this?
    Originally posted by ngarland
    The camera is awful, full stop (period).
    It's a great camera considering that it's bundled with >100 Kbps web access, phone, auto-delivery email, palm apps, mp3 player, decent battery, and convenient flashlight. And, the camera barely drains the battery.

If you see a situation where the lighting looks right and the subject is interesting, you just turn on the camera, compose the shot in the screen checking that all the highlights have detail and there is no drastic fall off of light level near the periphery (which will cause pixelation), press the button twice, the shot is taken and saved, and then you turn the phone off.

The trick is sizing up the quality of light, its contrast and the contrast of the subject matter beforehand. When they all fall into place, you can pull out your camera and shoot. But this applies whether you're using a Hasselblad or a 5 megapixel Nikon 5000. The camera is just a recording instrument. You can't it expect it to "see" for you.
    This is a very interesting idea. If any of you have used digital cameras before inside without the flash, you already know that the quality is much worse with those conditions. One of the problems that I have is that I cannot hold the camera sturdy enough so when I'm inside and light is an issue, I get a blury picture because of the movement of my hands. Outside or with the flash, when there is enough light to take a "quick" picture where the shutter doesn't have to stay open long (or whatever a digital camera does to allow enough light in), movement isn't an issue.

I'll try it sober tomorrow morning to see if that makes a difference. j/k
    Yes, I know not to expect the best pictures in the world, but i do expect them to be as good as a sonyericsson T610 or a Nokia 7650. If other manufacturer's can manage it in much cheaper kit why cant HS?
    an SDIO camera flash would be FANTASTIC. and, i imagine, relatively cheap and easy to make. who do we talk to about this?
    I doubt this would work, the camera adjusts to light too slowly for flash.

Perhaps if the software (or firmware) allowed for longer shutter time for low light shot.
    Originally posted by isayx3

I doubt this would work, the camera adjusts to light too slowly for flash.
    i don't see why the flash could talk to the shutter on the software side. (although i'm no engineer) they'll need to talk to each other anyway for the sake of timing, and there could be one (or several) fixed aperature settings coordinated with the flash.

the whole point of an SDIO Camera Flash isn't for the sake of High Quality Photographs. more like Slightly Better Snapshots Than I Get Right Now (And Oh Yeah, I Can Take Them At Night Too)

Perhaps if the software (or firmware) allowed for longer shutter time for low light shot.
    if the shutter is kept open longer in low light, the image will (as someone else noted) tend to blur as the camera or subject move across the frame.

perhaps a Treo Tripod would help with that...
    uh..."couldn't"

i don't see why the flash couldn't talk to the treo on the software side.

i also don't see why i couldn't have caught that typo after previewing my fancy formatted post. sigh.
    Just an observation from a camera ignorant person: what I've noticed is that when I take a picture with my treo 600, it looks iffy on the treo, but when I either beam it to my Zire 71 or share/upload to my computer, the picture is actually quite good. so the 600 takes decent enough pictures, it just doesn't show them off well. IMHO.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast