Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by ido
    Just an observation from a camera ignorant person: what I've noticed is that when I take a picture with my treo 600, it looks iffy on the treo, but when I either beam it to my Zire 71 or share/upload to my computer, the picture is actually quite good. so the 600 takes decent enough pictures, it just doesn't show them off well. IMHO.
    could be that we really need a program to resample the 640x480 pictures taken by the camera down to 160x160 or what ever. the treo doesn't seem too good at this. either that or we need to be shooting at a lower resolution. IMHO the treo doesn't take pictures as well as its peers.
    what about wearing one of those head torch things. Or modify one to be integral with your slipcase?

just a thought!
    And, will you have to take the time to take out your SD card and then attach the SDIO flash (which would at least cost $150), wait for it to warm up, etc? For $240 you can buy a Nikon Coolpix 2500 to do all this stuff to an extent that any Treo will never be capable of. (I'm sure there are other cameras in the same price range also, but the 2500 is the camera I carry around and it works great and is good on battery life.)

Yes, it would be nice for the next time the family cat decides to climb the drapes to pull out your ever present smartphone and grab a flash photo before kitty lunges for the couch. I guess you can't have everything.
    Originally posted by wireless-doc
    And, will you have to take the time to take out your SD card and then attach the SDIO flash (which would at least cost $150), wait for it to warm up, etc?
    the warm-up factor is a good point (and related: how badly would the flash drain the battery?) but i don't think an SDIO Camera Flash would be feasible at a $150 price point.

OTOH, for $30 i'd totally buy one. it doesn't seem too outlandish to imagine someone would be able to bring it to market at around that price...
    Originally posted by ido
    Just an observation from a camera ignorant person: what I've noticed is that when I take a picture with my treo 600, it looks iffy on the treo, but when I either beam it to my Zire 71 or share/upload to my computer, the picture is actually quite good. so the 600 takes decent enough pictures, it just doesn't show them off well. IMHO.
    Good observation. There are several factors to explain this:

1- The 640x480 image has to be downsampled to fit on the 160x160 treo screen. Throwing away 3 out of every 4 pixels is going to result in a less than stellar picture.

2- The treo display is a 12 bit lcd. This implies that it can only display 4096 distinct colors across the entire spectrum of light. Most of the pixels in a typical picture will be a color that cannot be represented perfectly by the LCD.

Combine these two factors together, and the result is that pictures don't look nearly as good on the device as they do on the PC.

PS: If you have a keen eye, you may also notice that the quality of the picture in the save dialog (the one that pops up when you snap a picture), is not as good as when you view pictures that you have already saved. The viewer utilizes a slower but better resampling algorithm. The save screen utilizes a fast. but lower quality downsampling.

The reason for this is that nobody wants to wait 5 seconds for the captured picture to appear when there is a good chance that they will delete it anyway.

H
    Here are 2 photos I took at the same time in low light. One is from the Treo 600, and it's awful. The other is from a Sony Ericson P800 (see next message).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ( in NIGHT MODE)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Originally posted by wireless-doc

It's a great camera considering that it's bundled with >100 Kbps web access, phone, auto-delivery email, palm apps, mp3 player, decent battery, and convenient flashlight. And, the camera barely drains the battery.

Wait a cotton picking minute. There is no reason why we should not expect the same quality of let say the Sanyo8100 (which is on sale for $99.00). Just a little better lens to brighten things upm is wall we want.
    Its kinda like the screen display. Why oh Why didn't they upgrade the screen just a bit!

Next we all need to compare our units, There may be a flaw or bug in the production of the LLC -- Little Lens Camera. My phone will not take pictures like i have witnessed. We can't adjust, what do we do?

HS should support the faithfull who trusted them by paying premium dollars expecting a premium product.
    bigH wrote:
    1- The 640x480 image has to be downsampled to fit on the 160x160 treo screen. Throwing away 3 out of every 4 pixels is going to result in a less than stellar picture.

2- The treo display is a 12 bit lcd. This implies that it can only display 4096 distinct colors across the entire spectrum of light. Most of the pixels in a typical picture will be a color that cannot be represented perfectly by the LCD.

I think point 2 is the more decisive factor. I used to use an eyemodule2/Prism combo all the time, and the pictures looked much better on the its 160 x 160 screen than the T600's pictures do on its own screen. The blue noise that's so hard to avoid in low-light/high-contrast settings on the Treo was almost a non-issue on the EM2/Prism (the EM1, on the other hand, did have this noise problem, in addition to suffering from lower resolution).

But you still might be right about the Treo's way of downsampling being the problem. I saw another thread that linked to a T600 user's photo blog, and the pictures of his I saw from my T600 looked better than first generation pictures that I took myself. The only image manipulation he claimed to have done was resizing the image to 320 x 240.
    Folks I like my phone. But I keep thinking why they only went halfway on these features. Take one more step and you would have defenders of these problems. So maybe there is a way to upgrade the Lens. I had a Video camer where I added and wide screen Lens and improved my CamCorder.
    Maybe the same can be done here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12